Police said "he has right to refuse alcohol breath test", claims witness to horrific dragging of security guard

webfact

Police said "he has right to refuse alcohol breath test", claims witness to horrific dragging of security guard

5.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A witness to the horrific running over and dragging of a security guard by a doctor has said that the police told a crowd that he was within his rights not to be breath tested for alcohol.

The senior doctor at the Region 12 ministry of public health has been named as Dr Yorn Jiranakhon.

CCTV footage showed him running over and dragging security guard Somchai "Nat" Yamdee, 22.

The well known doctor has offered an apology. He said that it was dark and he couldn't see very well.

Nat lies critically ill in a coma in hospital, reported Daily News.

In latest developments in the case that is the talk of Thailand a motorcycle taxi rider - given the name Joo - spoke to the media. He took a video of the aftermath of the incident.

He said: "I saw the guard closing the gate and the Honda Jazz drive at it with high speed making no attempt to brake. He hit the man and the gate and ran over and dragged him along the road, as was seen in the CCTV footage.

"The driver then staggered out,".

He used Thai words normally associated with describing people who are drunk.

"He said he was within his rights not to be tested for alcohol and wouldn't let anyone come near his car," continued Joo.

"Police arrived and a large crowd gathered who pressed the police as to whether he was to be breath tested. The police said it was not necessary. He had the right not to be tested.

"At the time I didn't know who he was, just that he was a senior doctor. I took a video for the purposes of evidence".

Ek, 25, a fellow security guard said that his friend Nat had walked to the gate from another gate to lock it according to regulations. He said he hoped that justice will prevail for his friend with the help of the Thai media.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-14

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The well known doctor has offered an apology. He said that it was dark and he couldn't see very well.

?Headlights?

"Police arrived and a large crowd gathered who pressed the police as to whether he was to be breath tested. The police said it was not necessary. He had the right not to be tested.

Thos beggers belief. The guy runs somebody over and staggers from the car.

The police then need proof to confirm alcohol is involved but its in his rights to refuse a breath test. 

What the <deleted>? What can the police do when laws like this exist?

"He said that it was dark and he couldn't see very well." after all the excuses

of brake failure ,it's a nice change to see someone blaming the headlights,

HiSo Doctor,who thinks he is above the law,and does not have to be tested

for alcohol, I hope the security guard gets justice,and not only compensation.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, Mooner said:

?Headlights?

For some reason many Thai drivers don't use them, I heard some time ago that they keep them off to save fuel. Unreal but it all goes to help 4.0 get to that number one spot as the hub of road carnage.

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

To be honest he should have taken the test - if he was drunk. Because if he did his actions stone sober then I think the punishment should be worse as it was more deliberate and cold, maybe that was why he refused 

So, you think drunks should be treated more leniently?

So much wrong with all of this. The attitudes here can sometimes be truly abhorrent. I really hope the public keep pushing for this terrible excuse for a human being to be severely punished, but I fear this story will be forgotten about fairly soon. 

Reading some of the excuses in different news sources is really sickening. Zero concept of responsibility. And a doctor, too. 

2 hours ago, Mooner said:

?Headlights?

The police then need proof to confirm alcohol is involved but its in his rights to refuse a breath test. 

Laws like this don't exist. When someone refuses a breath test, they also assume guilt in being over the legal driving limit. 

In this case the BiB should also be charged for not performing the duties. 

Of course, 'should' is a much used word in cases such as this in Thailand where the law is clear and enforcement is vague in the extreme to the point of deliberate negligence when those in positions of power can hold influence over the very same people attempting to police them. 

The whole tragic situation is a blight on Thai culture and a black mark against Thailand. 

I need to note his name carefully and avoid being operated on by this monster

Very horendous and awful for the victim I suppose the doctor will offer 50,000 to 100,000 and expect it to go away

This is a man who has taken the Hippocratic Oath

8 minutes ago, al007 said:

I need to note his name carefully and avoid being operated on by this monster

Very horendous and awful for the victim I suppose the doctor will offer 50,000 to 100,000 and expect it to go away

This is a man who has taken the Hippocratic Oath

I don't think that he swore such an oath. 

From past cases, if I recall correctly, the police have said that a person refusing to take some kind of sobriety test demanded by police means they can be charged with drunk/DUI driving under the law.

Of course, what the Thai criminal code actually says on that point may be a different matter, and the police have never seemed to be bothered by the formalities of actual legal statutes.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

He had the right not to be breath tested???

Is that some kind of joke?

Joe public is not given the right to refuse, so why has this prick been allowed to refuse?

Yes you do have the right to refuse but than you have to accept the consequenses.You will be considered under the influence by a court of law.Same law in many countries.

Joe public is not given the right to refuse, so why has this prick been allowed to refuse?

most countries you can refuse. i once refused back in the UK many moons ago. big mistake. i'd only had a couple of pints at lunch but knew i'd be over the limit. what would have been a one year ban became 2, a 500 pound fine became 2,500. better to give the bloody breath test 555. i would have thought with the social media attention this doc is getting that some kind of punishment will be served. but then again tit 555

3 hours ago, Mooner said:

?Headlights?

"What can the police do when laws like this exist?".

They charge him with drink driving regardless.

Edited by Just Weird

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

This doctor is going to pay hush money to the family of the security guard, possibly a fine, and that will be the end of it. There is no way he will spend one day in jail. TIT.

He as a doctor, knowing the rules, should have been very happy to have the chance to clear his name right away.