Mystery over British man who died at Thailand party after sending ominous WhatsApp messages

webfact

13 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I have been to a few.  It is very much based around drugs and alcohol and most of the people who go will indulge.  I know I did.  The full moon parties have been notorious for at least the last twenty years but have grown over the years to be a major part of gap year adventures.

They have also stamped out a lot of the drugs over the years, it has come a long way from the pharmacies on the beach openly selling amphetamines, through the mushroom selling restaurants, to where it is today, which is only some pushers hanging around like pretty much anywhere else in the world.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

If you read the article fully it was clear the guy was taking drugs throughout his life. This is not a one off he was 38. 

The illicit drugs available here are total crap.

Chances are, if he'd been indulging in Ibiza, Berlin, the 'Dam or London, he'd be alive right now

You're lucky if the chang you get here is anything more than 20% pure.

The Africans cut the shit out of it and two guys I knew died from using bad batches - one from a coke stroke the other from a coronary.

If hedonism's what you want, stick to Ibiza - pricey as hell but the gear's top notch.

14 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Really?    Not in my experience.

Is there a row of pharmacies selling amphetamine?  Does every bar have drugs on the menu?  There are changes, it has gone from being completely corrupt to being an illicit underground thing, at least mainly.

42 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I am assuming you have your tongue firmly in your cheek when writing that.  As we all know the case of the Burmese two was one of the worst cases of injustice witnessed by the whole world.  To think that any part of that "investigation" had any level of professionalism is naïve to say the least.

It was indeed tongue in cheek. 

13 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

The illicit drugs available here are total crap.

Chances are, if he'd been indulging in Ibiza, Berlin, the 'Dam or London, he'd be alive right now

You're lucky if the chang you get here is anything more than 20% pure.

The Africans cut the shit out of it and two guys I knew died from using bad batches - one from a coke stroke the other from a coronary.

If hedonism's what you want, stick to Ibiza - pricey as hell but the gear's top notch.

What have strokes and coronaries got to do with bad batches?  Both would be associated with good batches!

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

What have strokes and coronaries got to do with bad batches?  Both would be associated with good batches!

Maybe you could use a primer on the object of the exercise when it comes to using illicit drugs.

For example - get high without dying.

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

Cocaine massively increases stroke and coronary risk, a pure product would not be a bad batch, would it? 

If you're taking it in huge quantities.

The guys who died used gear that was cut with something altogether more toxic

3 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

No, it increases the risk every time you take it, there is always a risk, even those of good health who are not increasing their risk with drugs can suffer these problems it is just a matter of likelihood and cocaine in moderate amounts increases the likelihood  of both of these problems substantially.  

So are you saying that it was confirmed cut through toxicology reports?

16 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Many people who're used to street cocaine with only a few % will die when taking the same amount they are used to when they get their hands on 80 % clean cocaine.

BTW, there's already a lot of toxic ingredients when produced. Kerosene, sometimes also Diesel Oil, or Benzin.

Purity can kill, as well as Strychnine, which is sometimes part of the stretch. 

21 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Many people who're used to street cocaine with only a few % will die when taking the same amount they are used to when they get their hands on 80 % clean cocaine.

BTW, there's already a lot of toxic ingredients when produced. Kerosene, sometimes also Diesel Oil, or Benzin.

Purity can kill, as well as Strychnine, which is sometimes part of the stretch. 

A more mundane and truly tragic explanation to his death:  he ingests something that causes paranoia and his fear and panic cause him to bring about his own demise, because he imagines he is fleeing from some persecutor.

9 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Okay, so this one might have been lazy and ‘medieval’, but the Burmese two were done at the highest level of professionalism. Not the bits we saw with our own eyes. The bits we didn’t see. CSI would be in awe. 

As for the people who say druggies are the scum of the earth, calm down. Deflecting your anger towards others won’t get you anywhere. And it just makes you look completely repugnant. 

Highest level of professionalism in Thailand????? Are you taking medication??? If not a visit to the doctor ( shrink) is urgently required. 

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Cocaine massively increases stroke and coronary risk, a pure product would not be a bad batch, would it? 

there is no 'pure' or even 'moderately pure' cocaine sold to tourists in thailand.  that would totally defeat the purpose of the sellers (profits !!). 

surprisingly, there have been reports in the USA of dealers cutting cocaine with fentanyl, which is an opiate.  so a totally different drug family.

said another way, if you were a drug dealer would you give someone you didn't really know a 'good deal'.  they'd never become a long term repeat customer so no need to do so. 

6 hours ago, JAG said:

Several years ago I had the pleasure (?) of sitting amongst a group of lads in their early 20s who were on the Dubai - Bangkok leg of an Emirates flight from the UK. They were on their way to a Full Moon Party. They were pleasant enough, and explained that they went two or three times a year. Basically, they would fly in the day before and make their way down to Koh Panghan. They would spend the whole night at the party, and get absolutely wrecked on their drink or stimulant of choice, spend the next 36 hours semi-comatose recovering on the beach and then return to the UK.

When I mentioned that conventional wisdom was that a very dim view of drugs was taken by the Thai authorities they laughed, and said that those rules don't apply on Koh Panghan. They reckoned that each trip would cost something like £1300 or so, including flights. As I said, they did this two or three times a year!

When I said that I lived in Thailand they were interested - but freely confessed to knowing nothing about the country whatsoever, apart from what they glimpsed from the window of the overnight bus that took them to the ferry!

Unto each his own I suppose.

Sounds like you met the DJ's on route

17 minutes ago, buick said:

there is no 'pure' or even 'moderately pure' cocaine sold to tourists in thailand.  that would totally defeat the purpose of the sellers (profits !!). 

surprisingly, there have been reports in the USA of dealers cutting cocaine with fentanyl, which is an opiate.  so a totally different drug family.

said another way, if you were a drug dealer would you give someone you didn't really know a 'good deal'.  they'd never become a long term repeat customer so no need to do so. 

Not wanting to go too much off topic, but I do not think that anybody would like to invest in such an expensive opiate as Fentanyl.

And the people who like coke do not like the effect Fentanyl has.

The photo shows a lethal dose of heroin and a lethal dose of Fentanyl. 

Fentanyl.jpg

Just now, jenny2017 said:

Not wanting to go too much off topic, but I do not think that anybody would like to invest in such an expensive opiate as Fentanyl.

And the people who like coke do not like the effect Fentanyl has.

The photo shows a lethal dose of heroin and a lethal dose of Fentanyl. 

Fentanyl.jpg

Are these on ebay?

Did I miss it in the reporting or was there no toxicology done on the deceased?  That would indicate whether he had drugs in his body.  Sadly the reporting which is linked to this thread is lacking as to the specific results of the investigation so everything seems to be left to conjecture. Sorry for his family. 

What a load of judgemental crap in this thread. Jesus wept, not all people doing drugs (it doesn't even mention which ones) are homewreckers or into stuff that hurts other people. Whoever has bad experiences with druggies or addicts - no worries, but why project that onto a person that has died? Have some decency and respect, guys, this guy died way to young. Unless you know him personally, keeping your holier than thou attitudes to yourself wouldn't be a bad thing.

17 hours ago, Deez said:

"Last year there was reportedly a 54 per cent rise in tourist deaths in Thailand"   TAT will be brainstorming a way to promote this

54% means nothing ominous.  A specific number of deaths might, but usually those that quote meaningless percentages don't have actual statistics

16 hours ago, rkidlad said:

As for the people who say druggies are the scum of the earth, calm down. Deflecting your anger towards others won’t get you anywhere. And it just makes you look completely repugnant. 

"And it just makes you look completely repugnant".

Only in the eyes of druggies, maybe.

15 hours ago, Nip said:

I would suggest its you that is none too bright. As far as I can see from the report there is no mention he took drugs. Yes there are Full Moon parties on the islanf and yes many take drugs but many more don't. I've been on the island and many of my friends too and my kids. We don't take drugs so if I was found dead by your estimation I would be a dumb druggie and deserved to die. 

"As far as I can see from the report there is no mention he took drugs".

Can't see very far, then, can you?  Did you read the link?

14 hours ago, wealthychef said:

How about just legalize all harmless drugs and regulate them so people are more safe and protected when they do choose to have fun?  

I don't believe that will reduce these negative incidents at the full moon parties.

It may limit the underworld element. Are the drugs being used all harmless, many seem to make people aggressive, more so on top of alcohol?

13 hours ago, barsie said:

Have you actually been to 1 to have any basis for that?

That is called a deflection. Instead, detail your experiences and perhaps I would reply with mine.

I have never been to a public hanging either but could comment on them surely.

I have been on the islands when one occurred nearby, rather dispelled the tranquillity I had hoped to enjoy.

53 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I don't believe that will reduce these negative incidents at the full moon parties.

It may limit the underworld element. Are the drugs being used all harmless, many seem to make people aggressive, more so on top of alcohol?

I see in Australia where several stabbings, high speed car chasers, have occured recently due to people high on Ice .....

drinkers don't go crazy and stab people.

Did I miss it in the reporting or was there no toxicology done on the deceased?  That would indicate whether he had drugs in his body.  Sadly the reporting which is linked to this thread is lacking as to the specific results of the investigation so everything seems to be left to conjecture. Sorry for his family. 

The full story in the link cleatly ststes that no toxicology was done and by the time the body arrived in UK it was too late. So basically all the UK coroner had to go on eas a very dkeychy "autopsy" report from Thailand undupported by lab work. As a result no conclusion could be reached and it was left as an open verdict.

The family is quoted as saying might have been acvident, might have been goul play, they will nevet know which.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app