Help! Law Problem About Refurbishing Condominium

the full story

in 12/2005 we bought 2 condos on the same floor( both same price),my ex friend refused to stay longer to clear landpappers and make an excact rebuilding plan. he gave me the money for change name of ownership and do the renovation,during renovation time i send some mails for clear up questions.

in march 2006 it was completed,, he looked at the bills, and i ask him take the pappers ( thaibils a.s.o),he said this is ok,,he seen the appartment in fully renovated condition,with his girlfirend and son and other people,,their was no comment about something wrong, the sun mentioned this condo is even more beautiful than mine.

after they seen the apartment, we go to change landtitledead,,a.s.o. on the day of changing landtitle he ask to change to his ladys name,the sun said no, so i told the man its not possible (even documents already filed up)

before he changed the apartment owner i offerd him many time to give money back in full ammount,if he dont like, he refused many time ( because i want for fammilymember)

after transfering the name, their was no comlain ( except small complain about black/white natural tiles in the bath).

after he started to make many complain small ones ( refigerator to small ! its a double door!!!!,,,the sunrollo leave sun inside,,ohh its an impoted one from taiwan for roll in and out automaticly no thairollo)

after i hear many complain,,,i told him again many times even under witnesses, that i would buy the condo from him, expect administrative costs ( commisions,transferfees,compensationpay about 150,000 less than orginal price)

he refused again, an said he want to change small things.

in september in an angry despute when i already cut firendship, he said he want to sell now, i refused and said i oefferd him many time, and now he have to wait or sell it somewhere.

now in january 2007 receiving a letter from a lawoffice, he want all documents, landpapper,receibs etc.

the orginal landpappere he have , the receipts for transfercosts as well,and for electronics because of garantee i put to his apartment. the rest of thai pappers iput already to rubish, but even the big bills i could get copys,,,but for waht.

even now i would offer him to buy back the condo in original condition ( like photos) less costs for transfers,commision( to condomanager) and less a fee for usage for 10 month.

but as i hear he already sold the furnishing and put the apartment in a bad condition ,change a lot with bad workers.)

what could i do in this case, the letter comes in german from a lawagent,but the writer not signe as lawyer.

the complete case

the buyer friend payed total nearly 1.700.000

condo 80qm beachfrontcorner 900.000

tranferfees 52000

comision condo 3% 27.000

TT2 what the buyer was nnot having 10.000

fee for consultant privat 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL 991.000

renovation

complete renovation,take all out from the condo! extending bathroom, 200 mtr new electriccables,new wall for bathromm, new ceilings all over with halogen, new electric all over terrace,new waterline to the terrace,all doors new,new bathroom made, kitchen build in with new waterpipes,in the bath new waterlines for mixer hot and cold,all electriccables put behind the walls, all tiled up complete,graden and walls made outside on the 32qm terrace,frscen build in, and more work

TOTAL AMMOUNT FOR WORKER..........................................................about 120.000

furnishing

new wall[papper all over and double curtains all over.....................................60.0000

omplete TEAK furishing, have still the bill,high quality with carving...................180.000

kitchen wood with black granit ,round sink and expensiveplumbing...................45000

electronics ( no bil more because in his apartment) for 29 TV LG new model flat,

21TV LG flat,cheap DVD,dubledoor refigerator,microwave silver electronic modell.

ricecooker,waterfiltersystem,2 aircons walltype-units with remote,privatesattelitesytemelectriccookingpltaes from italy,mex kitchen excuast ....................... .............................................................. ,,,,about 120.000

sofaset index and serta hard matraze.......................................................25000

imported rollo for automatic moving ( hmpro price34000) payed directly.............30.000

terrace set ( metal/wood) hmpro .2seats,2banks,and table................................15.000

construction materials,,many many many small bills before, about 150qm tiles,

waterheater mixer 6,5kw,new toilets,sinks,cristina from italia bath,new taps for mixing

hot and cold water, new door,new looks,new ceilings gypsum about 90qm,new electricsystem

on terace and bath,halogenlights all over,, 200 bags of sand ,60 cement,and many

many many small things....................................................................about 150.000

a chrage of 10% for making for drivig many times to RYG and BKK and compensation

becasues i done the work without any profits just for friend................................60.000

now it ad up already 1.800.000 million,,,, it was a little bit less,the bils for furnishing and rollo and wallpaper i can get again they are about 300.000 ,, but for privateworkers and all constructionbills how i can get them now, nearly impossible.

if want i can osts pictures here from this condo and the inside.

i dont want to get in trouble here with lawyers and so on,,i am just living here, and even now we are neighbours on same floor just oposite,,the good luck he never stay here, buit its not a good situation.

the man ask in the letter only for all biills, but on telephoncall he told his client want back 400000 thb.

i was not earing on this, and dont it on behalf of him,,,he was even refusing to stay 7 days more in thaialnd to clear exactly,,,when he payed he count waht was done and dont wanted any papper take with him,,now 1 yera later......................

the guy who send the letter is a swiss,,, and what they want from the client is money, and i am scarred that this people are ileagel practice workers,,ani dont want to get in trouble ,,what to do.>???

thanks for any answer

Are you Thai? I doubt you have much to fear from Swiss and German lawyers sending you letters in Swiss and German.

Go see a local Lawyer and explain the whole situation.

no i am german and this condos was bought together in an package deal.

and the swiss he gave me the order to pay and take thais to refurbish thecondo same time as mine.

2 questions

1. is the deal completed with the last payment and transfer of ownership after viewing this said condo,,,and even offering complet return of money if he dont like ( because familly members want this condo)

2.how much would cost a lawyer in this case? or even nexessary or ust wait what they do

i want to send them letter as follow

deal completed after transfering,last payment was made,buyer checked pappers ,before transfer they seen the appartment and found ok ( witnesses).offerimng to buy back was refused. after transfer even offering returning money ( exclude transfercosts amd commisions). their is no responsibility from my side, eevn i would offer again to buy back the condo in original condition now minus costs,commisions and a fee for use the condo 9 month. offer valid until 1.3.2007

have i any more responsibility????

lap,

Your posting is confusing beyond comprehension. You bought two condos with money you and a friend pooled together, right? In whose name are the condos registered: one in your name, and one in your firend's name - both in your name - both in your friend's name?

lap,

Your posting is confusing beyond comprehension. You bought two condos with money you and a friend pooled together, right? In whose name are the condos registered: one in your name, and one in your firend's name - both in your name - both in your friend's name?

in january one condo was directly registerd in my name,,the other condo was refused due to visa, but was transferd in march 06 to the other guy at the landdepartment,the rstpayment was made for refurbishing and seen without any egative comments and the deal completed.

Tell me if I have this right.

1 You two bought condos.

2 He put his condo into his name or the equivalent many many months ago.

3 He complained about the costs and quality of many things that you did to the house since putting it into his name.

4 He has now had a lawyer send a letter to you asking for compensation.

Does he want a reduction in the cost of refurbishing? 400,000?

As this transaction happened about 11 months ago, you are at abvout the one year mark which I would bet would mean the entire thing cannot be brought into court. DOUBLE CHECK ON THAT. Also, as he accepted the house in the beginning, and you were not the seller, but only a co-purchaser, you are not the culprit.

"and the swiss he gave me the order to pay and take thais to refurbish thecondo same time as mine"

From what I read, the two of you selected the refurbishing contractors together, so he cannot complain about it.

You have nothing to worry about, but he simply found a lawyer who is trying to scare you into doing paying him some money. Even if you do not have all of the receipts saved, as long as the prices that you qoute are within the realm of an average price, there is nothing he can say about it. If there are tiles on the floor, whether you have the receipts or not is not important. The tiles are proof of the work. You can get an estimate for the price of the tiles and the cost of labor now, and any court would accept it as being valid and fair.

Two years ago, I received a deposit for two houses (contracts for building them on a development) from a Thai-American woman. She did not have the complete payment in 30 days, so I kept the 200,000 baht. She went to the police and lied, stating that I was not the owner of the properties (I had the right to sell the contracts) and she very well knew that I did. As she made the complaint in the late evening, she was able to get it registered before I was able to appear the next day with my lawyer and have the policemen see that she was nuts. But, as she went in earlier than me, the report still went through the channels and made it all the way to the public prosecutor, who told me very quickly that there was nothing to prosecute and that he would sign it NOT PROSECUTE and send it to the governor to close. This entirre process took one year and 4 months. At the one year mark, I learned that even if they wanted to prosecute, they could not, as the statute of limitations had expired.

You do not have a contract with him, so you are not in breach of contract. You have broken no laws, so you cannot be prosecuted. They have to PROVE that you have done something dishonest, illegal, etc., and from what you have show us, you have not. Go see a lawyer and he should tell you, Mai Pen Lai.

I once sold a house on payments to another American. The street flooded and he wanted me to give him all of his deposits and payments back, and told me that he would sue me if I did not do it. My lawyer told me that the buyer could sue God, the city or the developer, but not me, and that if he did not make his payments that I could take the house right back immediately. Instead, I loaned him some money to get out of his business problems.

Go see a German speaking lawyer (Swiss-Siam) on Theprasert Road is good, German - Thai Group in Naklua is good, and there is one more on Theprasert Road in the giant white apartment buildings where the weekend market is held. I would expect that he would ant to se the contract between you and the Swiss man, and or learn what this man seems to think that you have done wrong. As of yet, there does not seem to be a specific statement that the Swiss man is making about one of your actions being a breach of your agreement.

Also, if this man is out of the country most of the time, you can easily avoid him, and simply do so.

@eljeque

sorry you speak german,so i would make a screen of letters and answers,because they are in german language.

for the refurbishing ,he gave the money and give nearly free hand, the rest of money he payed after seeing this apartment,withhout negative comments,and than the apartement was transferd to his name and he paid he rest. the contractor,,,none,,i was taking various thaiworkers to do the work.. the various ammounts i spend i listed above.

but intresting in org.letters ,but until now in german, a translation in thai i receive the next days.

Sorry, I cannot speak German.

When I was first contactsed by the police and the public prosecutor, I could not sleep that night. After a lawyer told me that there was nothing that could be prosecuted, I never worried again.

I really believe that you have nothing to worry about.

You could also run up to Der Farang on Theprasert Road, north side of the street, opposite the two large white condo buildings, not too far from Sukhumvit. They speak German and deal in property. One of their agents is of Thai birth but grew up in Germany. He sold one of my houses. They can put your heart at ease fora minimal payment.

And do not worry about receiving a letter in Thai. You and he are speakers of German, so that is the language in which they should write to you.

I turely believe that this hapened so long ago, and with no contract that there is nothing he can do. Go try one of the lawyers or Der Farang and put your heart at ease.