Adsl – Sending A Fax?

Daffy D

When I was on dial-up I used to be able to send and receive the occasional Fax using the FAX option that comes with Windows XP. It was not brilliant but for the few time I used it worked OK.

I was just wondering does this still work with TOT ADSL?

Still the same phone line but obviously something different as the phone still works as a phone while online ADSL, which it didn’t before as dial-up was using the line.

Erm! I understand what I mean maybe someone else does and can let me know if the FAX option works with ADSL

Thank you all

D.D. :o

Fax works fine on an ADSL line as long as your modem or fax machine is connected to the "phone" side of the ADSL splitter.

True , but u cannot use the computer as fax machine, with Winfax or such, and if u connect the modem to the phone side, u will then have to get dial up service. I think there was one program that allowed this, but it wasn't cheap.

There is absolutely no relationship between fax and internet. As Deke said, you can attach any kind of fax machine to any real telephone line. The telephone remains unchanged with ADSL but you need a filter to keep the new (very high frequency) ADSL signals from interfering in the usual telephone signals and vice versa.

Is windows software really so mixed up?? You should be able to run a fax program on a computer with an old-fashioned fax modem while still having internet service configured through the ethernet port to the real ADSL modem or router.

Connect the ADSL Modem (Router) to the Modem Port of the Splitter (Microfilter) and the dialup Modem to the Phone Port.

Even if you use the "normal" Fax service on Widows XP you're able to use both service at thew same timw. And if you connect the Telephone to the Phone Port of the Dialup Modem, you can use the phone as well.

There also some services available to use the Internet for out going and incoming Fax Messages but you need a special Software and a special service for this. Some E-Mail provider also provide Fax over Internet.

why fax rather than scan documents as .pdf and send as an attachment to email?

Faxes are recognized as legal documents as well while E-Mail NOT!

Thanks for your replies. I don't have a dedicated fax machine that’s why I use the Windows fax utility on the computer.

The question was if I could use fax with ADSL. From your answers it seems not, one has to use the phone line.

I still have my internal dial up modem plugged in and have in fact arranged my set up be able to revert to dial up should the ADSL fail at any time.

Being new to ADSL I did not want to throw out the dial up and kept it as a back up – Belt and braces and all that.

So in summary I just need to plug my dial up modem into the phone side of the splitter, change the connection settings and fax away.

As for using fax instead of e-mail attachments, in some business situations only a fax will be accepted.

D.D.

Quick edit - Many companies do not open e-mail attachments anymore.

Edited by Daffy D