Most Thais support alcohol sales ban on Buddhist holidays

rooster59

Most Thais support alcohol sales ban on Buddhist holidays

By The Nation

A majority of Thai people support the ban on the sale of alcoholic drinks on national Buddhist holidays and at venues around educational institutions, a survey has found.

The survey was carried out by the Super Poll organisation among 2,218 people from all walks of life from November 1 to 17.

In the results announced on Saturday, 76.4 per cent of the respondents agreed that beer and liquor do more harm to society than good.

And 84.2 per cent of the respondents blamed drinking for road accidents, family violence, crimes, quarrels and sexual assaults.

Respondents were asked to name measures for minimising problems related to drinking, and they were allowed to cite more than one measure.

Just over 77 per cent expressed support for the current ban on the sale of alcoholic drinks on national Buddhist holidays, even though Thailand is a secular country.

Almost three-quarters of respondents (73.8 per cent) supported a ban on the sale of alcoholic drinks within 300 to 500 metres of education institutions, while 70.7 per cent said there should be laws to ban government officials from receiving any kind of benefits from beer and liquor companies.

And 75.7 per cent of respondents said the laws and other measures should be enforced strictly to prevent problems related to drinking.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30331951

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-19

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for no alcohol sales near schools and I agree with their assessment on drink driving, but I am going to dissent, as I am sure many farang will, on the issue of no grog on Buddha days. There are just too many of them. If you are Buddhist, by all means refrain on holy days, but enforcing it on others, especially tourists, isn't nice.

Edited by darksidedog

3 minutes ago, KhunMhee said:

Is it really that big of a deal to not go to the pub a few nights a year? I don't think it's an issue at all. Is it the don't drink thing or the someone telling you not to?

I won't speak for anybody else, but in my case it's about other people making decisions for me. I'm 45 and can decide for myself if I want to stay at home or go out for a drink - alcoholic or not. 

Its a nothing for people who live here, but if you have saved up for a weeks holiday and you hit one of those Friday -Monday Holiday which they seem to want to interoperate the week-end into it also.

Then its a lump out of partying (paying) for your average tourist.

I haven't taken much notice, do they close this much in the other Budapest countries ? Lao/Cambodia etc

1 minute ago, djayz said:

I won't speak for anybody else, but in my case it's about other people making decisions for me. I'm 45 and can decide for myself if I want to stay at home or go out for a drink - alcoholic or not. 

10 points for being honest. And lets face it most places have a few pubs that know how to pay the right guy and stay open. Drinking out of coffee mugs or such. For the few times a year it's honestly not that big of a deal. We are guests at the end of the day and it's something we have to either accept or bitterly be upset about, though nothing will change on this. Just think of it as a positive and its a health day.

3 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Its a nothing for people who live here, but if you have saved up for a weeks holiday and you hit one of those Friday -Monday Holiday which they seem to want to interoperate the week-end into it also.

Then its a lump out of partying (paying) for your average tourist.

I haven't taken much notice, do they close this much in the other Budapest countries ? Lao/Cambodia etc

When I was working in Myanmar it was enforced in Yangon.

Doesn't really bother me, I can manage a day or two without a beer, OMG, the horror.   The daily time restrictions on buying alcohol annoys me more than the occasional buddha day.

But I agree with others from an ideological, church and State POV.  God botherers have too much influence in government, worse when uniformed goons wearing guns enforce prohibitions based on religion.  The PM himself is prone to a good old tongue lashing about morality, and how much boob and butt is allowed.  Extrapolate this kind of behavior out to the extreme, you wind up with the Taliban, ISIS, etc.  

Parts of the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, can be just as or even more invasive.  Some states have no alcohol "dry" counties and towns.  Others only allow State-run liquor stores.  In my native Southern California, I can rock up to a petrol station and walk out with a guilt-free six-pack - even on a Sunday!  :laugh:

If people wanna have a drink on ‘Buddhist’ days, it should be up to them. If you don’t wanna drink on a Buddhist day ‘cos you think it will benefit you, go nuts. 

There are many ways to be a good ‘Buddhist’. First step should be; be a good human being. Do this as often as you can and don’t go round telling everyone. Good people do good things. They mind their own business and don’t judge others who are doing something that isn’t hurting anyone. 

As for all the so-called good Buddhists, maybe you should be speaking out more on corruption and people like the doctor who mowed down a security guard. Worry less about people who have a beer on their day off.

Edited by rkidlad

I have doubts over the claim that this is a representative survey having seen with my own eyes rural areas where the sale of alcohol ruling was (as are many) ignored. Of course I understand that alcohol can have the detrimental effects contibuting to road accidents, family violence, crimes, quarrels and sexual assaults in those that have such a tendency.

It seems that the authorities here just pile measure upon measure when the current law is not working. If the law on the sale of alcohol to those under age was enforced, maybe there would be no need for the 2-5 ban and the vague possible prohibition on the sale of alcohol near (as in not defined) educational establishments.

The finding that officials should not get any benefit from beer and liquor companies I would say great go ahead with that and include the BiB benefiting from bars and the like. BUT of all the suggestions in the op I cant help feeling such actions are the least likely.

My personal feeling is that this is not to do with Buddhism, it is rather to do with Thai Buddhism where it seems rather than striving for self bettering others dictate how you should live.

Nor do I support the "if you can't go without a drink for a day" arguement. Much to unfortunate if it conflicts with one's birthday / wedding / and other notable events.

Well the Thai Government will decide whatever it wants, regardless of what the tourists think. And the banning of Alcohol sales on holidays may go ahead, but we'll all just have to get organised and if we want to drink regularly keep a small stock in the house for those surprise days.  As for the 300-500m from schools, i do hope that never gets up as most will be surprised just how many schools there are around. Most villages i've seen would be lucky to extend beyond a few hundred metres from their school (as the crow flies) and in Bkk, i'd have to catch a taxi to a far away place from my condo as there are so many schools in my area. And, we've all been through this before, is it 300m, or 500m? Straight line, or by road? or by interpretation by police, which brings us straight back to the graft payment thing.. ha ha!

3 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Doesn't really bother me, I can manage a day or two without a beer, OMG, the horror.   The daily time restrictions on buying alcohol annoys me more than the occasional buddha day.

But I agree with others from an ideological, church and State POV.  God botherers have too much influence in government, worse when uniformed goons wearing guns enforce prohibitions based on religion.  The PM himself is prone to a good old tongue lashing about morality, and how much boob and butt is allowed.  Extrapolate this kind of behavior out to the extreme, you wind up with the Taliban, ISIS, etc.  

Parts of the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, can be just as or even more invasive.  Some states have no alcohol "dry" counties and towns.  Others only allow State-run liquor stores.  In my native Southern California, I can rock up to a petrol station and walk out with a guilt-free six-pack - even on a Sunday!  :laugh:

But not after 2am

77% support current sale restrictions on Buddhist holidays, yet 84.2% blamed alcohol for most of societal woes.... (84.2% being the highest number reported) .... mmmm

Surely this means that MOST Thais don’t want changes.

understandable, after all, I had to go to three mini marts at one am on loi krathong day. Most annoying, but luckily the stores were all within walking distance. (I’ll drink when I want too, thank y’all very much, and not besmirch another’s choice in this matter)

this story could well have been... no... Should have been.... “ Most Thai’s want their government to enforce the law!”

Lol.... finally a survey which gives the people a chance to decry police incompetence......but they crunched the numbers and shifted everything sideways with a defective headline about how good Buddhists are.... so.... no change expected, right?

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I'm all for no alcohol sales near schools and I agree with their assessment on drink driving, but I am going to dissent, as I am sure many farang will, on the issue of no grog on Buddha days. There are just too many of them. If you are Buddhist, by all means refrain on holy days, but enforcing it on others, especially tourists, isn't nice.

I would of thought the onus was on a retailer to not sell beer to kids wherever their shop was located..

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

And 84.2 per cent of the respondents blamed drinking for road accidents, family violence, crimes, quarrels and sexual assaults.

And in the other poll that is making the news, one third of Thais blame road accidents on fate.

IMO this shows that population percentage statistics are badly flawed. Still, all depends on who is being questioned and how the questions are presented.