best place to exchange british pounds for baht

sotonfarang

I never chage money over the counter here i use online tranfer companies but someone has just given me some british pounds that i need to change into baht.

Is it best to use a bank or one of the currency exchange booths to obtain a better rate?

Thanks in advance

You will usually get slightly better rates from the exchange booths on soi Buakhao.

The TT shops are good but any along that route will give fair rates -  better than the banks and sometimes higher than the bank TT rate of the day.

Is there a specific reason why the OP does not bring in cash to cover his sojourn in Thailand ?  (besides the safety and justification of foreign income issue)

Nothing to beat the exhange rate in a money changing booth !..

Or am I missing out something ?

Edited by observer90210

50 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Is there a specific reason why the OP does not bring in cash to cover his sojourn in Thailand ?  (besides the safety and justification of foreign income issue)

Nothing to beat the exhange rate in a money changing booth !..

Or am I missing out something ?

Hmmmmm, why? Whats your point?

My wife sells property and a customer paid her a small amount of commission in sterling and as its Thailand you cant spend pounds in Big C, its silly i know

4 hours ago, Jip99 said:

You will usually get slightly better rates from the exchange booths on soi Buakhao.

The TT shops are good but any along that route will give fair rates -  better than the banks and sometimes higher than the bank TT rate of the day.

TT + 1. Best rate and most prolific.

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

ok sorry I thought that you wanted to comeover from abroad and cover the expenses for your stay. Obviously my question is irrelevant to you as you stay full time.

"someone has just given me some british pounds that i need to change into baht."

The best rates are usually from the Super Rich booths or branches.

There are many in Bangkok but I do not know of their locations in Pattaya.

A friend in Jomtien tells me that he gets his best rates in a yellow coloured booth next to Bamboo bar.

Edited by Patanawet
typo

Just compare the buying and selling prices. Places like Superich do large volumes of currency exchange both buying and selling so they can make money by having a very narrow band. Banks on the other hand are all crooks!

I once calculated that you could change 100 USD into Baht at SR and then changes it straight back and you would lose 5 baht. That is 5 baht total!

I also agree with using TT exchange - my chosen way to change £ to Baht.

Suggestion: change mid-week as usually the rates are better - certainly avoid Friday to Sunday as they fix their rate for the weekend and obviously in their favour. It doesn't make an enormous difference unless you're changing hundreds of pounds but every little helps as they say.:smile:

3 hours ago, Patanawet said:

The best rates are usually from the Super Rich booths or branches.

There are many in Bangkok but I do not know of their locations in Pattaya.

Because there aren't any.

Apparently there was one for a short time at Central Festival but long gone.

I want to exchange a lot of UK pound into baht.

I looked at the rates on the web site mentioned earlier in this thread, the bottom was Kasikorn and the top was SIA money Exchange.

By using SIA I would gain about £2,000 in the transaction over Kasikorn!

When i first came here there was someone my wife knew who came to the house to handle large sums of money. She always gave fantasticaly high rates, but I have lost touch with her now.

If any one knows of the best way to exchange large sums please let me know.

Thanks

6 hours ago, lor said:

I want to exchange a lot of UK pound into baht.

I looked at the rates on the web site mentioned earlier in this thread, the bottom was Kasikorn and the top was SIA money Exchange.

By using SIA I would gain about £2,000 in the transaction over Kasikorn!

When i first came here there was someone my wife knew who came to the house to handle large sums of money. She always gave fantasticaly high rates, but I have lost touch with her now.

If any one knows of the best way to exchange large sums please let me know.

Thanks

Don Corleone...... but I hear that he may have gone back to Sicily...

Before I needed an exhange issue. I loked everywhere with motorbike(beach roag, second road, soi buakhao, walkşng street, jomtien,etc.) While I check the exchange rate online at OTC market, the USDTHB rate was stable but while the time pass the rate was going lower at exchange shops.  It is disadvantage if you want to sell usd and buy thai baht. I think the reason is, by the time passes their usd amount in hand is going lower and they quote lower bid apart from the real rate. I found the best ones in TT currency on second road, just when u turn from beach to the second you will see within 100m on your left. Also there are some unbranded exchange boxes, you may catch 1 pips better rate than TT on the right side of the second road.