PM defends Gen Prawit’s controversial remarks about pre-cadet’s death

webfact

PM defends Gen Prawit’s controversial remarks about pre-cadet’s death

By Thai PBS

prayut231117.jpg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Thursday (Nov 23) came to the defence of Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon over the latter’s provocative remarks concerning the suspicious death of a military pre-cadet.

On Wednesday, Gen Prawit told the media that it was usual in the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School (Afaps) for pre-cadets to be subjected to corporal punishment or “som” when they did something wrong and he himself used to be punished until he went unconscious, but he survived the ritual.

Asked by a report how to protect pre-cadets from being abused by their senior to the extent they were seriously injured, the deputy prime minister said:  “Then, they don’t have to enroll (into the school); don’t become soldiers; we only want men who are willing.”

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-defends-gen-prawits-controversial-remarks-pre-cadets-death/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-11-24

Real soldiers don't rely on brutality to train or maintain discipline. Period. Full stop. End of story.

But then plastering oneself with military bling, medals, wings, colourful aguillettes and "combat infantryman badges" doesn't make you a real soldier either.

Thugs and bullies are thugs and.bullies, whether in uniform or plain clothes.

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

To begin with, if they only want "tough people", how the hell did Prayut and Prawit make it through cadet school?  Moreover, the BP report on this quoted Prayut as saying of the cadet's death: "Don't worry", and later: "What's wrong with it?".  I'm sure those words were a great comfort to the victim's grieving family, whose death the army is tripping over itself to deny responsibility for, and to add insult to injury Prayut makes light of the issue.  The problem is that it was not just an injury. He was beaten to death, but hey, don't worry!  

2 hours ago, Ossy said:

And just look what a bloody mess it made of him, an apology for humanity.

prawit crop.jpg

Agree. There's something seriously wrong with Mr Piggy. He shouldn't be in charge of a som-tan stall, let alone deputy PM.

If this is the best the Thai army can do then it's no wonder they haven't won any armed conflict. Ever, so far as I know... They're only good for attacking unarmed civilians and their own recruits. They're an embarrassment.

Mr Piggy - all mouth and trousers, just like his boss.

Edited by Sid Celery

'... Gen Prawit told the media that ... he himself used to be punished until he went unconscious, but he survived the ritual.'

Well, we only have his word for that, and I'm not sure that's worth much. 

The PM defending the indefensible. He might want to reconsider dumping his elderly deputy. 

17 minutes ago, Sid Celery said:

Agree. There's something seriously wrong with Mr Piggy. He shouldn't be in charge of a som-tan stall, let alone deputy PM.

If this is the best the Thai army can do then it's no wonder they haven't won any armed conflict. Ever, so far as I know... They're only good for attacking unarmed civilians and their own recruits. They're an embarrassment.

Mr Piggy - all mouth and trousers, just like his boss.

I'm sure the last conflict in which the Thai army had an active role involved riding on elephant back. And I'm not sure whether the elephant could have been reasonably expected to put up with having Prawit on its back ... always assuming he could get up there. 

Edited by Jonmarleesco

5 hours ago, webfact said:

he himself used to be punished until he went unconscious

Thai military training vs democratic countries:

"The accused instructors at the Army Foundation College face charges ranging from actual bodily harm and battery, to mistreatment of subordinates.

We can confirm that 17 former recruit instructors are to face court martial proceedings at Bulford Court Martial Centre ..."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/13/army-instructors-punched-kicked-teenage-recruits/

Mr. Democratic Soldier Prayut couldn't qualify as a trainer in the British military. Yet in Thailand he is Chief of the military junta.

It has become common practice these days for Prayut to defend his buddy Prawit for the mounting stuff-ups Prawit is making within his portfolio. He has become an embarrassment for Prayut and he will likely depart Cabinet. We have previously been given a clue that ailing health will be the reason.