Long-time homeless American deported

Rimmer

Long-time homeless American deported

image.png

PATTAYA:--An American man living on Pattaya Beach for years is on his way home after finally being scooped up by immigration police.

Scott Phillip, 67, was taken into custody near Mike Shopping Mall Nov. 15 following a fresh round of complaints about the U.S. national who has been seen sleeping on the sand for years.

Phillip told police he had been in Thailand for 20 years and that his passport and visa expired long ago. For years he said he has survived living rough and with no job.

Immigration officers gave him food and water and consulted with the U.S. embassy to arrange deportation. He will be banned from the kingdom for 10 years.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-11-24

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, ezzra said:

So now he's gone from being a bum here to be one over there, it's beyond

me how able body people just throw their life away to the garbage and

resign the human race just to be a burden on others....

Then I hope for your sake that life will never throw you a fast one. Loosing one's footing is easily done, sir, and I resent your passing judgement on someone who's background you have no knowledge of.

The one thing you seemingly have " thrown to the garbage" is your feelings of compassion for a fellow man.

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

He will be better off in the States, you can't have much of a life

with out money in Pattaya.

No money, no honey.  It must have been decades since he saw the inside of a gentlemen's club or a massage parlour.  Probably can't remember what brought him to Pattaya in the first place. 

According its enlightened policy of never doing anything to assist British citizens under any circumstances, the British Embassy would have let him serve his 100 days in Phatum Thani jail in lieu of paying the overstay fine followed by transfer to Immigration's medieval standing room only jail in Soi Suan Plu, until he could raise the fare home, i.e. until he died which would probably not be long in there.   Sounds like Uncle Sam might stump up for his fine and repatriation.  Lucky for him he's a yank.

41 minutes ago, Bullie said:

Then I hope for your sake that life will never throw you a fast one. Loosing one's footing is easily done, sir, and I resent your passing judgement on someone who's background you have no knowledge of.

The one thing you seemingly have " thrown to the garbage" is your feelings of compassion for a fellow man.

Couldn't agree more. 

36 minutes ago, Bullie said:

i agree...this poor bastard gotta be more than a little mentally ill by now ....he says hes 'been living rough' for a few years.....if hes been in thailand 20 years (like article says) this means he wasnt always homeless and probably came here with decent nestegg or savings . Misfortune , bad luck , bad planning , whatever i still feel sorry for him . I bet he didnt come over here to freeload......does anyone ? Shame on the the thaivisa wizards that run this guy down......the good news is foodstamps , possible lodging allowance , less soi dogs , and fat angry white women are in his near future

4 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

According its enlightened policy of never doing anything to assist British citizens under any circumstances, the British Embassy would have let him serve his 100 days in Phatum Thani jail in lieu of paying the overstay fine followed by transfer to Immigration's medieval standing room only jail in Soi Suan Plu, until he could raise the fare home, i.e. until he died which would probably not be long in there.   Sounds like Uncle Sam might stump up for his fine and repatriation.  Lucky for him he's a yank.

I have never known the US Embassy to do this. What they will do, is help locate friends/relatives back home who can send money.

Even in emergency evacuation of its citizens from unstable foreign countries/places at war (and I've personally been in some), people have to pay their own way. In some cases they will be allowed to sign an agreement to repay with the govt fronting the costs. And they will come after people for that money.

I want to add my

voice of compassion to this poor man whose motives we don’t know or understand. 

Chances are he slipped through the cracks slowly and eventually ran out of choices. He may well have mental problems. I am not your judge and nor should anyone else, but I’m damn sure to put my hand up and offer my words of support against the backdrop of some incredibly inhumane and insensitive commentary. 

28 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Unless he was a immigrant etc 

1 hour ago, Bullie said:

Nah, he lives in a condo, lives the life of Reilly and lords it on anyone more unfortunate (read less wealthy) than him.

Lack of empathy = i'm alright Jack.

35 minutes ago, pumpjack said:

so the news tells you but my instincts tell me he will spend a long time in immigration centre and maybe even die in there .

That's a really good point and a really sad point.

My impression is that the standard thing in such cases is to be sent to immigration prison until someone can pay your overstay fines and transport out, etc. He doesn't sound like he would have that resource. The U.S. embassy could help with an emergency travel document but that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to front him for fines and transport. In any case, I hope he can get out as though things may be grim for him arriving in the U.S., hard to be more grim than stuck in Thai prison. 

42 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Hopefully he gets some help and he surely wouldnt have survived 20 years in Thailand without the help of a lot of compassionate people, so he has obviously met many good people in Pattaya

Everyone here can say what they want about Thai people and even foreigners living here, there are still a lot of good people in this country. The only way you can possibly imagine this guy has made it for so long, has got to be by people helping him out.

Some of the T.V members on here have just become so caught up in the bad news they read on here, on their screens daily from their homes or favourite bar stools, never getting out into the real world.

They just don't get to see just how many good people there are still out there..  Caught up in your on bubbles some of you fellows on here, get out and meet some people guys..

I think he deserves a medal for surviving so many YEARS living rough here as a foreigner in such a hard place for foreigners with no money like Pattaya.

I don't think I'd last a week and that's being optimistic. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How did he survive "years" with no job? Did people actually give him money- I can't see the locals allowing a farang to jump on the "beggar's game".

I also can't believe the local cops didn't realise a homeless farang was living on the beach. Something does not add up.

I think I may have seen him on that raised stone platform opposite Mikes.

If it was him he usually seemed be in friendly conversation with Thai people.

The last time was January this year, when a Thai woman sat down next to him and gave him what looked like a bag from a food stall.

Maybe he survived by smiling, listening and being sympathetic to peoples problems?

That can get you a long way.

Just now, Enoon said:

I think I may have seen him on that raised stone platform opposite Mikes.

If it was him he usually seemed be in friendly conversation with Thai people.

The last time was January this year, when a Thai woman sat down next to him and gave him what looked like a bag from a food stall.

Maybe he survived by smiling, listening and being sympathetic to peoples problems?

That can get you a long way.

No doubt. Relying on the kindness of strangers. That gets old fast! 

52 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

But it;s warmer. He'll most likely be dead by February.:saai:

No, because even in Boston, MA, where I am from ( and you could easily freeze to death if outside in the winter) the police and some shelters, will go around and search for homeless and forcibly if necessary bring them in from outside areas if the temp gets dangerously low.