Long-time homeless American deported

Rimmer

14 hours ago, Bullie said:

Then I hope for your sake that life will never throw you a fast one. Loosing one's footing is easily done, sir, and I resent your passing judgement on someone who's background you have no knowledge of.

The one thing you seemingly have " thrown to the garbage" is your feelings of compassion for a fellow man.

Three sentences, and you've restored my hope about humanity. Thank you sir/mam.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jimmyaaa said:

hell definetly miss his kids . And i bet hell miss thailand too , at least for a while . Hes gotta be having health issues that hell be able to address so thats good . He might not like the latest rap songs hell hear . And he better work on his spanish.....i believe his story might make a good book . Probably so much more to it than we know now.....

Hell sounds like "he will", but has a different meaning. Google "hell", please.

14 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

According its enlightened policy of never doing anything to assist British citizens under any circumstances, the British Embassy would have let him serve his 100 days in Phatum Thani jail in lieu of paying the overstay fine followed by transfer to Immigration's medieval standing room only jail in Soi Suan Plu, until he could raise the fare home, i.e. until he died which would probably not be long in there.   Sounds like Uncle Sam might stump up for his fine and repatriation.  Lucky for him he's a yank.

The US Gov't will buy THE MOST EXPENSIVE (yes, they actually highlight that fact) airfare back to the US they can find, then it will be like a student loan or child support debt. It will never, ever go away until it is paid off or he dies.

17 hours ago, ezzra said:

So now he's gone from being a bum here to be one over there, it's beyond

me how able body people just throw their life away to the garbage and

resign the human race just to be a burden on others....

I hear a lot of these homeless people have mental issues. Not always a question of being able bodied.

Add some addiction into the mix.....

6 hours ago, USPatriot said:

Whaaaaat are you talking about. America treats illegal aliens better than most countries 

That may be the case USPatriot however; Thailand ain't one of them!

Writing from personal experience, the words "Abu Ghirib" comes to mind - when I and 63 other fellow detainees of Barrack Block #10 were awoken late at night to 'shower' on March 2nd, 2004 at Mira Loma Detention Center in Lancaster, California.

I am 100% confident that Mr Phillip was never awoken late at night to shower and be paraded stark b*****k naked before jeering and heckling female Thai immigration officials. But please do correct me if you know otherwise; okay? So that's "Whaaat"!!!

Oh; and before I forget the PC word for "illegal aliens" is 'administrative' or 'undocumented violators'. Thank you.

Edited by marginline

If he is 67, he is entitled to Social Security anywhere in the World and Medicare when he is inside the US. If he is in the Thailand for 20 years, he came when he was 47. One needs to work only 10 years in the US for at least a minimum SS benefits. There must be some mental issue and hope US embassy helps him sort it out for him.

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How did he survive "years" with no job? Did people actually give him money- I can't see the locals allowing a farang to jump on the "beggar's game".

I also can't believe the local cops didn't realise a homeless farang was living on the beach. Something does not add up.

The cops were preoccupied harassing the maidens at Coconut Bar. :smile:

Being homeless is tough in the West, but at least there's the chance of shelters and charities. How a foreigner can survive homeless and without money that long in Thailand is beyond me. No doubt he will head to Florida once the plane touches U.S. soil: good luck!

I am sure many of us here would like to know more about this mans story. What made him stay ? How did he survive all those years ? What did he do all day  ?   Did he have any friends ?  Did he have any social life ( women ) ? What did he do when he got sick ? 

I am sure the police knew about him but also knew there was no money in it for them so they left him alone. But were the complaints from people that wanted to get rid of him or were they from caring people ?

His best bet might be a reality TV show based in LA skid row, kind of a  cross between Survivor and Im a Celebrity get me out of here.   His amazing survival skills after 20 years could also be sought after in the corporate world, so maybe he could act as a consultant or motivational speaker?

21 hours ago, ezzra said:

So now he's gone from being a bum here to be one over there, it's beyond

me how able body people just throw their life away to the garbage and

resign the human race just to be a burden on others....

Except that in the U.S. he's eligible for Social Security pension and/or disability and/or other public assistance. He should sign up his pension and head to Cambodia or the Philippines where he can live quite well.

20 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

According its enlightened policy of never doing anything to assist British citizens under any circumstances, the British Embassy would have let him serve his 100 days in Phatum Thani jail in lieu of paying the overstay fine followed by transfer to Immigration's medieval standing room only jail in Soi Suan Plu, until he could raise the fare home, i.e. until he died which would probably not be long in there.   Sounds like Uncle Sam might stump up for his fine and repatriation.  Lucky for him he's a yank.

Some years ago through business i used to have to deal with the British Embassy , i can honestly say they are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard , no even less ,at least you could eat that .

5 hours ago, johncat1 said:

I am sure many of us here would like to know more about this mans story. What made him stay ? How did he survive all those years ? What did he do all day  ?   Did he have any friends ?  Did he have any social life ( women ) ? What did he do when he got sick ? 

I am sure the police knew about him but also knew there was no money in it for them so they left him alone. But were the complaints from people that wanted to get rid of him or were they from caring people ?

Maybe he can sell the movie rights?

6 hours ago, onera1961 said:

If he is 67, he is entitled to Social Security anywhere in the World and Medicare when he is inside the US. If he is in the Thailand for 20 years, he came when he was 47. One needs to work only 10 years in the US for at least a minimum SS benefits. There must be some mental issue and hope US embassy helps him sort it out for him.

So why didn't he apply for S.S. at age 62 if he's really eligible? 

Haven't read that he's eligible for Social Security. Even if he is eligible doesn't mean he's in a good enough mental state to work out how to go about signing up. Too much missing information to make any judgments. Hopefully he 'll receive  the needed assistance once he's back home.

17 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Who the hell do you think you are to moralize on someone's opinion.? Are you the compassion 'police'?  who cares what you resent or not. The OP expressed his opinion. That's what this forum is for.

Have you actually witnessed what this particular 'bum' has been doing over the last 20 years? Why hasn't he got a passport? If you had no passport - do you think that you are so high almighty that you should have the same 'privilege'? We all go through thumping great hoops to stay here. Why should he be different? What have you ever done to help someone in a like situation?  There's plenty around - I've seen some of them them all over the place, or read about them over the last 13 years. Thailand has laws - whether you ridicule them or not. Try it yourself pal and see how far YOU get!

Nobody likes a smart arse!

At last count, apparently 58 TV readers do.

6 hours ago, torrzent said:

His best bet might be a reality TV show based in LA skid row, kind of a  cross between Survivor and Im a Celebrity get me out of here.   His amazing survival skills after 20 years could also be sought after in the corporate world, so maybe he could act as a consultant or motivational speaker?

He may have been in Thailand for 20 years but how much of that time has he spent living rough?

I have great trouble imagining him arriving in Thailand in 1997 establishing his 'happy spot' on Pattaya beach straight away. It is a misinforming article if you only quickly scan the content of the OP...................:thumbsup:

47 minutes ago, Meljames said:

He'd do best to go to Minnesota or some other state  that offers higher benefits than average.

Minnesota? Many homeless people cannot give up their old habits of sleeping rough and/or get into the same situation again. I've never been to Minnesota, but heard it gets cold there in winter...

39 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

He may have been in Thailand for 20 years but how much of that time has he spent living rough?

I have great trouble imagining him arriving in Thailand in 1997 establishing his 'happy spot' on Pattaya beach straight away. It is a misinforming article if you only quickly scan the content of the OP...................:thumbsup:

No-one comes to Thailand to sleep rough on the beach. Guess it's the old story: staying too long, spending too much on booze and gals; then no money to buy a return ticket. I just recently watched a documentary about some German blokes on Mallorca who were in the same situation; sleeping rough there in an old building close to the beach cause they had run out of money. Even though they tried to get work there, they couldn't find any.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

19 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Minnesota? Many homeless people cannot give up their old habits of sleeping rough and/or get into the same situation again. I've never been to Minnesota, but heard it gets cold there in winter...

Minnesota's known for being more generous with social benefits than most states. But true, if this guy wants to remain living rough, he should find somewhere warmer. Maybe SoCal.

Edited by Meljames

On the question of why didn't he claim S.S. at 62, I admit that was an unfair question. If he was already living so rough at the time with no passport or address, it would have been impossible to start his claim. Also even with a passport his S.S. benefit would almost definitely be less than 800K annually and if totally skint he wouldn't be able to make up the difference with a bank account. Of course he could have paid one of those dodgy agents ... but again, don't see how he could have started a claim in the first place that down and out. 

On 24/11/2017 at 1:18 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

How did he survive "years" with no job? Did people actually give him money- I can't see the locals allowing a farang to jump on the "beggar's game".

I also can't believe the local cops didn't realise a homeless farang was living on the beach. Something does not add up.

Might amaze some expats here how many Thai people have compassion for others not of their race.

On 11/24/2017 at 12:25 PM, worgeordie said:

Deported to skid row,hope he gets to go to Florida or somewhere

warm,as there does not look like an ounce of fat on him.poor

bugger,good luck.

regards worgeordie

California is his best bet, they have social programs that beat all other states, people documented or not enjoy the same state social security bennies.........if he has a history of working, he will collect Social Security, however small, if he is a veteran, he can get 'some' benifits, unless service connected then he can get 'many'............I gave the guy a thousand baht about a year ago, a guy I was with knew him for years and said he used to write menu's in English for Thai Resturants, had a loooong history in Patts - but refused any and all assistancre to return to the USA   -  wish him luck.

On 24/11/2017 at 5:17 AM, stanleycoin said:

He will be better off in the States, you can't have much of a life

with out money in Pattaya.

Do no think he will find much compassion amongst his own kind.

Wonder who will pay for airfare? at least he will get somewhere to sleep and something to eat while he is waiting.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

The more current question is if the USA embassy will pay his fine to get him out of immigration prison. It's my understanding they do not pay such fines but will offer help to find relatives who will. 

UK has same policy...

Maybe if all fails there is a charity that can help, or crowd funding.