Phuket abbot suspended over ‘irregular’ statues

rooster59

Phuket abbot suspended over ‘irregular’ statues

Eakkapop Thongtub

1511604309_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: The Abbot of Phra Nag Sang Temple in Thalang has been suspended from duty for a breach of the monkhood’s code of conduct after a rash of complaints over several statues at the popular temple.

The news came at meeting at Tha Reua Temple in Thalang yesterday (Nov 24), presided over by Phra Ratchasirimunee, the head monk overseeing the administration of all temples in Phuket.

Joining him were Phra Kru Metta Pirom, Abbot of Wat Mongkol Nimit in Phuket Town and head monk overseeing the administration of all temples within the diocese of Muang Phuket, as well as Phuket Vice Governor Prakob Wongmaneerung and Winya Paladkwa, the chief of the Phuket office of the National Office of Buddhism.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-abbot-suspended-over-irregular-statues-64865.php#oW1JoEsBJUrioV7y.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-11-25

8 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Phuket abbot suspended for having Buddha statue with tits.

Focus shifted somehow? Assault rifles and handgranades are not exactly accepted Buddhist decoration elements.

Edited by paz

3 hours ago, paz said:

Focus shifted somehow? Assault rifles and handgranades are not exactly accepted Buddhist decoration elements.

"brandhishing a machine gun and a stupa painted all pink, instead of the traditional all white."

Think you are missing the point here. Pink, yes pink, now we understand. It was not the +×+++++!+ Baht allegedly stolen but, PINK.

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Phuket abbot suspended for having Buddha statue with tits ! :giggle:

Not a Buddha statue but Ramayana or Ramakien giant. I think these giants are from Hindu origins and meant to protect the temple or Buddha - hence the armoury of weapons.

(I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Talking of giant statues with tits - This one at the pier on Koh Samet is the mermaid from a Thai folk tale. She has always been naked, but last time I visited the island she was wearing an enormous T-shirt - wonder why?

Mermaid.jpg.c371ab38610bce9908dc0681bd6e3a97.jpg

Not my photo - found on the internet.

I like the guardian portrayed as a woman, or at least a tranny. Modern weapons? Why not? At one time a big sword was a "modern weapon". Like the adage "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight". Those demons have been buying American arms, creating many jobs bigly.

It seems the Phuket News site is back up again. There's a couple additional pictures (of the temple) and a bit more to the article. 

The 35m high statue of "Luang Por Chaem" apparently was poorly crafted:
1511604321_7118-org.jpg.1b0606e9a5ad3f19fbe907c65026304c.jpg

As well as the "Yak" with the big boobs, automatic rifle and grenades.

"Among the irregular erections at the temple flamed by people in comments online, in addition to the “poorly crafted” image of the much-respected Luang Por Chaem, are a Yak (“giant”) with large exposed breasts brandhishing a machine gun"

(note: Not my spelling, grammar or vocabulary !)

8 hours ago, Emster23 said:

I like the guardian portrayed as a woman, or at least a tranny. Modern weapons? Why not? At one time a big sword was a "modern weapon". Like the adage "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight". Those demons have been buying American arms, creating many jobs bigly.

Bigly? .... No further comment required or needed.