Centipede bite

superal

Has any reader been bitten by one of these centipedes . I have heard  that they can be painful and recently had a couple of close calls with them having trod on one with bare feet and uncovering one when moving a pot in the garden . Also if you are bitten what actions should be taken ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are very very very painful!!!

They will not kill you or make you sick... just make the place they bit you hurt like hell.

It is recommended that you get some antibiotic from the doctor if these things bite you, because the bite often becomes infected.  But I never got any antibiotics and where it bit me healed fine.

So far living here I have a good list of things that have bitten / stung me.  

Big black scorpion X 2

Small brown scorpion X 3

Centipede X 1

Black / Red hornets X many!!

Small wasps X many.

Various ants.. including big black ones that hurt like hell... X many

Jelly fish X 1

Dog X 2

Spider X 1

Also been bitten my snakes.... X many... but they were not Thai ones... just my pets back in the UK!

Think that is about all I can remember. 

Still alive...

You will be happy to know that Thailand has no insects / land  invertebrates that are deadly to humans if they bite you.  But they will hurt you!  Only exception is if you get stung by a swarm of hornets, or if you have some allergy to the venom... which is very rare.

And, as I said earlier, it's recommended to get antibiotics for the centipede bite.

15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Most people die immediately after getting bitten , not many live to tell the tale 

????????????????

https://www.orkin.com/other/centipedes/poisonous-centipedes/

Are Centipedes Dangerous to Humans?
Smaller variants of centipedes produce nothing more than a painful, localized reaction, not unlike a bee sting. Larger species, however, administer more venom through a bite and can produce more extreme pain. While centipede bites can be extremely painful, they are not generally fatal to humans. Pain from a centipede bite may last up to several days. However, an experiment conducted in the 1920s concluded that the pain most commonly subsides after a number of hours. There can be swelling around the bite, and some victims may experience nausea, sweating and the swelling of lymph nodes following an attack.

<------->

Individuals with other insect allergies should observe their symptoms closely in the event of a centipede bite. Beyond the initial pain caused by an attack, possible side effects include severe swelling, chills, fever and weakness. In the event of a severe allergic reaction, emergency medical services should be contacted immediately.

43 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Big black scorpion X 2

Small brown scorpion X 3

Centipede X 1

Small wasps X many.

Jelly fish X 1

Dog X 2

Spider X 1

Also been bitten my snakes.... X many... but they were not Thai ones... just my pets back in the UK!

Dude! You are doing something wrong. maybe don't go outside anymore.

50 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

They will not kill you or make you sick... just make the place they bit you hurt like hell.

It is recommended that you get some antibiotic from the doctor if these things bite you, because the bite often becomes infected.  But I never got any antibiotics and where it bit me healed fine.

Big black scorpion X 2

Small brown scorpion X 3

Centipede X 1

Small wasps X many.

Jelly fish X 1

Dog X 2

Spider X 1

Still alive...

You will be happy to know that Thailand has no insects / land  invertebrates that are deadly to humans if they bite you.  But they will hurt you!  Only exception is if you get stung by a swarm of hornets, or if you have some allergy to the venom... which is very rare.

And, as I said earlier, it's recommended to get antibiotics for the centipede bite.

You left out the Love Bug....ha ha

Big black scorpion X 2
Small brown scorpion X 3
Centipede X 1
Small wasps X many.
Jelly fish X 1
Dog X 2
Spider X 1

Still alive...

Ok, which was the most painful out of the lot?

3 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I use a strong chemical mixed in water that is sprayed all around the house, close to the walls.

They are different types available at stores and one coat lasts around 5 months (in dry season).

Quite efficient to this day...

what is the relevance to centipedes ?

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

The chemical is a centipede and pest repellant.

Thanks ,    understand now ,  do they have an odour ?  interesting & will take a look when in town , any particular shop and product name ?

7 minutes ago, superal said:

Thanks ,    understand now ,  do they have an odour ?  interesting & will take a look when in town , any particular shop and product name ?

Never noticed the smell, but as I smoke .-)

To be honest, I never did it myself, it is the wise man in charge of the garden that does the mix and spray, but I recall it was from a pharmacy and contained boric acid. I also hear that onions are a good repellant but the smell...no way !!!

This is a previous link on the forum (a bit old) where posters with better expertise then me give precious advice. Good luck.

Edited by observer90210

Just now, observer90210 said:

To be honest, I never did it myself, it is the wise man in charge of the garden that does the mix and spray, but I recall it was from HomePro unless mistaken.

thanks 

Just now, observer90210 said:

To be honest, I never did it myself, it is the wise man in charge of the garden that does the mix and spray, but I recall it was from HomePro unless mistaken.

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

Many thanks , will take my lady as I guess all instructions will be in Thai . I do think that the less clutter the better in the garden thus reducing the habitats of creepy crawlies etc  but convincing the Thai family to throw things out is the event of the day , I love it watching the scowls from mil

1 minute ago, superal said:

thanks 

Many thanks , will take my lady as I guess all instructions will be in Thai . I do think that the less clutter the better in the garden thus reducing the habitats of creepy crawlies etc  but convincing the Thai family to throw things out is the event of the day , I love it watching the scowls from mil

I made an edit as it was not HomePro, sorry my mistake, but from a pharmacy

Been bitten a few times and must say hurts like hell.  Probably the most painful bite that I have had and I've ben bitten by the best on the list previously posted.  I always grab fior the old standby "tider balm".

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

I use a strong chemical mixed in water that is sprayed all around the house, close to the walls.

They are different types available at stores and one coat lasts around 5 months (in dry season).

Quite efficient to this day...

I would rather get a few bites over the years, than have strong poisonous chemicals spread around my house that might give me cancer or some other disease.  Also I would be worried about my pets, dogs, chickens etc that get into contact with such chemicals, or eat the dead insects and animals they find which would be full of the chemical.  

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I would rather get a few bites over the years, than have strong poisonous chemicals spread around my house that might give me cancer or some other disease.  Also I would be worried about my pets, dogs, chickens etc that get into contact with such chemicals, or eat the dead insects and animals they find which would be full of the chemical.  

you do have a point regarding chemicals but some neighbours use the same with their dogs and never had an issue. and I think my smoking habbit may be a bit more carcinogenic then the repellant, but always better to be cautious I agree.

Edited by observer90210

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/boricgen.html

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is the weird looking fuzzy orange ones (I think actually millipedes? that do and they really, really hurt.

I've never bothered and tried to count the number of legs but Yep, they really hurt.  They usually are in damp places, the last time I got bitten was when I cleaned the drain in the outside sink, I thought that it was just a leaf but I didn't have my glasses on either.  I don't know if it does any good medically biut I rub Tiger Balm on the wound.  At least it helps mentally.

The regular brown centipedes -- the ones that curl into a ball - don't sting.

It is the weird looking fuzzy orange ones (I think actually millipedes? that do and they really, really hurt.

The smallish ones that curl into a ball when you touch them are millipedes - these have more legs than centipedes (milli v centi).

Centipedes legs stick out to the side and they look nasty!

I try to avoid both millipedes and centipedes...the former you can sweep up and put in the bin but ye gotta kill the centipedes and make sure that they are dead...in that regard, after ye nuke them with chaindrite on yer kitchen floor make sure that ye clean up the bug spray residue as it is oily...I neglected to do so and slipped and broke my leg...the centipedes won in the end...

then there are the big, white nasty 6" mothers that look like they can ingest small children...found one under my computer bag in my study one time...it was grand guignol...a devouring monster outta silence of the lambs...

They are not deadly, but many say you might wish you were dead because it is so painful. My wife was bitten by one a month or so ago. It was a big one and she was doing some garden work so just used the shovel to cut it into three pieces when she saw it come out of the ground, I had just warned her to be careful of the pieces because they can still crawl around and the head can still bite, when she yelled out that it had bit her on the foot.

They do not always inject venom when they bite, in this case the area turned red, hurt and swelled a little in the following days, but it was because one of the little bugger's teeth was still in her foot. One bit the neighbor lady and she was in pretty severe pain for three days.

On 11/26/2017 at 11:46 PM, Sheryl said:

The regular brown centipedes -- the ones that curl into a ball - don't sting.

The opposite, actually.  Millipedes are no problem.  I actually find them interesting.  They're the brown ones with the legs that go down, not out to the sides, and they're slow.  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/Millipede_on_floor.jpg/800px-Millipede_on_floor.jpg

It's the centipedes that are the nasty ones.  Staying away from the ugly creepy ones is pretty much my rule!

22 hours ago, superal said:

I was told about a westerner who was bitten by a centipede and the pain was too much .He ended up in hospital for 2 or 3 days on morphine and a hefty bill .

ask any thai what they are and you will get an answer with a srewed up face,TAKARB.

sat in a open air restaurant one evening when someone shouted out TAKARB the place emptied in seconds.

I got bit by one about 6 inches in length.  It bit through the leather glove I was wearing like a hot knife through butter.   It stung for about an hour but no swelling or other allergic reaction to it.  I included the photo of a huge one that was in my swimming pool in Kaeng Krachan.  Darn good thing they apparently can't swim.

1382391_10151705903731769_94973052_n.jpg

Yes on the index finger 6 inch black monster when I lifted a wet mat off to hospital with the now flat exhibit in a jiffy bag injection in each cheek? oddly not in the now triple sized throbbing finger.

Second time even more scary left shorts on the floor got up next morning put on shorts button came off took off shorts and an even bigger one dropped to the floor although not bitten I felt my legs go in different directions instantly and involuntary and the answer will it hurt you bet your arse it will no wonder Thais move faster than trying to beat you to a red light when they see one .

Now avoided any more encounters I moved .

On 26/11/2017 at 12:21 PM, jak2002003 said:

Big black scorpion X 2

Small brown scorpion X 3

Centipede X 1

Small wasps X many.

Jelly fish X 1

Dog X 2

Spider X 1

Still alive...

Wow...that's some list. Am here 17 years and only bitten by "red ants"... They like hanging out on my front gate...and I live in the sticks.

Many different species have crossed my path from snakes in my kitchen down to things my old eyes can bearly see and all without incident (except above).

Thing is....whenever I do come accross them I see them through eyes of amazement and wonder at the beauty of nature and for me...proof of the existance of God.

Unlike many on here (absolutely no reference to yourself, just a general observation) who like to boast how they slautered their latest victim, usually a snake.