Swiss man gets bashed after turning off noisy bike

webfact

You come to Thailand either on holiday or to live so you must accept the Thai laws and the Thai culture and way of life and part of that culture is that a lot of Thai's will just stop at a food stall and not even park in the gutter and leave their motor running and grab some food then drive off. Nobody has the right to interfere with another persons property. So that Swiss guy did the wrong thing by interfering with the Thai guys bike, but the Thai guy should not have hit him. If you don't like the Thai laws and their culture and their way of life then don't come here and stir up trouble trying to make things like they are in your home country.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

Don’t mess with people’s belongings. Fair enough it was noisy but you’re just asking for trouble doing something like this

Lesson number one in LOS. DON'T get involved in other people's s***, and keep a low profile.

If that's not possible, you are in the wrong country.

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

OK, so now we know that Mongolia has plenty of thugs, just like Thailand. But does that alter the basic fact that the Thai guy's motorbike was too loud and running for no reason? No, it doesnt.

In a civilised country the police would be around to fine people with noisy bikes, so the problem would simply not arise at all. Here it is considered normal to make pointless noise and to disturb others, and equally normal to hit people. For me that's just animal behaviour.

Doesn't matter what sort of behaviour it is. When in Rome and all that. If not acceptable everyone knows what to do.

A moron leaves a noisy bike running to show off, the nosier the bike/car the smaller the manhood so the story goes. Swiss infringed on someone’s property, but to beat up a person over that is an anger problem. Next time he will kill a person for leaning against a noisy bike. Bike owner should be charged. 

i have said this before but i will repeat. the article doesn;t give the whole story. if it turned out the swiss guy was shouting and swearing at the guy which i suspect he was but admittedly don't know then he got what he deserved. i doubt it was just turning off the guys bike. don't touch other peoples shit and all this crap about moving cars. well yes fine, but this wasn't moving the car or bike he turned it off as he didn't approve of the noise and no doubt said some shit in a certain way which got him the response he got. anyway. only a few cuts, he'll live. could've been alot worse

50 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Suspect this was a nutter just looking for an excuse to attack someone.  In Europe and US touching someone's bike may be the start of a fight, but in Thailand touching another person bike or car is an everyday occurrence.  Bikes are often parked in tight spaces, so they are moved about to let other bikes out, in car parks you need to leave your parking brake off so it can be moved to let other cars out. 

Very sensible and accurate  post.  

9 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

i have said this before but i will repeat. the article doesn;t give the whole story. if it turned out the swiss guy was shouting and swearing at the guy which i suspect he was but admittedly don't know then he got what he deserved. i doubt it was just turning off the guys bike. don't touch other peoples shit and all this crap about moving cars. well yes fine, but this wasn't moving the car or bike he turned it off as he didn't approve of the noise and no doubt said some shit in a certain way which got him the response he got. anyway. only a few cuts, he'll live. could've been alot worse

Do you have any evidence that the Swiss guy was being rude or abusive , or did you just make that up ?

19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Do you have any evidence that the Swiss guy was being rude or abusive , or did you just make that up ?

He was not rude. The Thai thinks his protected by the 1st class law agency built for Thais only. Which in fact is true

I gotta guy who runs his pickup in the car park  with the air con  on cutting in & out all the time

for 2 hours sometimes.  The fumes are nasty on a still day.

But the Swiss have to learn that when Thais get together with any  vehicle their ability to 

think rationally & be courteous goes out the window

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

After barking dogs, look-at-me bikes are my favourite hate. The noise is mere attention-seeking like the boom-boxes AKA pick-ups.   The extra noise does not make the bike go faster; is not fuel-efficient (quite the contrary); merely confirms that Thais cannot cope with silence.

Don't try to educate those guys, they haven't the capacity to learn, nor to listen and they don't have the ability to understand...The only thing they know is: "ME....Me first...Me most noise...Me only like to make trouble..."  They have abolutely no feeling about reponsability and they make it happen that every day 61 people are killed on the roads.

Welcome to Thailand and Pattaya for the poor tourist.

Definately that the noisy bikes get annoying, but when in a foreign country you cannot behave like back home. In fact, chances are that the victim could have met with similar fate in his home country.

If you don't like Thai food, Thai behaviour, one may encounter some frustrations in the country.

Also keep in mind that the locals are not longer the smiley types who would say yes to all - violence and virulence against farangs  seems to be on the high run.

But what can one expect ? The locals see a good proportion of farangs daily comming over, scr*wing their chicks, misbehaving, flooding the girls with ca$h and booze...not normal but unfortunately logical that some hostility can hatch.

1 hour ago, BBJ said:

You mean those horns that no car driver pays attention to?

A beep while nearly getting side swiped from a car driver that hasn’t figured that both mirror and turn signals are NOT optional extras! 

Doesn’t work, but a rev bomb does.  I’ll stick to not gettin side swiped as I have before and continue with the tried and tested method, thanks.

Unfortunately here, the attititude is lower class bikers on scooters.  But a rev bomb from a bike that costs the same a small car sends a different message in my experience.  Rightly or wrongly it works.  I didn’t create the attitude, I’m using the tools I have to protect myself regardless how obnoxious some might think it is.  

Strange. 11 years on sport bikes in the kingdom and horn has worked just fine for me.

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Welcome to Thailand and Pattaya for the poor tourist.

Definately that the noisy bikes get annoying, but when in a foreign country you cannot behave like back home. In fact, chances are that the victim could have met with similar fate in his home country.

If you don't like Thai food, Thai behaviour, one may encounter some frustrations in the country.

Also keep in mind that the locals are not longer the smiley types who would say yes to all - violence and virulence against farangs  seems to be on the high run.

But what can one expect ? The locals see a good proportion of farangs daily comming over, scr*wing their chicks, misbehaving, flooding the girls with ca$h and booze...not normal but unfortunately logical that some hostility can hatch.

Good grief man.....sad-face.gif.1dcabb184599fe235db29177849595bd.gif

I would have never turned the bike off or touched it. However, the bike driver/owner is guilty as hell of assault. He needs to be arrested and either prosecuted and/or  pay the Swiss compensation.  Ten thousand Baht would be proper compensation and if the bike owner doesn't have it - he can pawn his bike. You cannot go around hitting people because you are irritated- except maybe in Thailand where it seems to happen every day.

7 hours ago, transam said:

In farangland we do have noisy bikes and cars..I had both...:stoner:

Though the bike guy was inconsiderate in this case, NOBODY should interfere with another's transport..

Big loud vehicles is usually compensation for a small ****.

6 hours ago, Norrad said:

Swiss people really seem to hate noise.

I live in Ch and it feels like people here are just waiting to get some reason to complain about.. if you live in the city and open music and a window at the same time, wait for 10 mins and the cops will come. They closed up 90% of our cities party area because of noise complains.. this is typically swiss.. and they want to do the same shit in other countries... swiss arrogance... its only fair to see some blood

One aspect of this situation, is that most Thai people do not even hear noise. Or if they do, it does not seem to bother them on any level. Many of us hear noise. And many of us mind noise. And many of us feel we are entitled to peace and quiet. I do not think the Thai people feel the same way. 

I have asked Thai neighbors about a dog that has been barking nonstop for four hours, right in their front yard. And they look at me like I am hearing something they are not. Or why does it bother you? Or well, it is a dog. Barking is what they do. What do you expect? Or some other similar nonsense. Talking to most Thais about noise is like talking to Alaskans about cold weather, or talking to Russians about rudeness, or talking to Chinese about farting in public. It just does not register. 

Sorry for the generalizations. LOL.

It's not a generalisation- Thai people actually do not take any notice of noise- they can sleep through a war....so their concepts of what might be loud and ours are completely different.

It's definitely a cultural thing and while the Swiss may have thought he was doing th Thai a 'favor' by shutting his engine off- the Thai saw it as an intrusion into his space.  However- violence cannot be condoned.

Archived