How nice of a house to build?

tlock

I just moved to Issan this year with my Thai wife after living in Pattaya for the last 10 years.  We are about to build a house on some land her parents gave her, it is just village land (we have water and electric).  I've been waffling back and forth on whether to try to build a "nice" house or to just go with a standard steel roof concrete structure village house.  I'm in my 40s, and the idea is it is a home i will live in for the next 20-40 years.  I'm not rich, but I can afford 3-5 million baht.

After hearing all of the horror stories, I feel like no matter which direction I go, I'm going to be disappointed.  If I could find a relatively risk-free situation I would probably build something in the 3 million baht range and assume cost overruns take me to 4 million.  However, I can't find any "risk-free" builders/architects/etc.  So since it feels like such a gamble, I'm considering giving the wife say 1 million baht and telling her to build whatever she can get.  

I'd *like* to live in a reasonably western standard house for the next 20-40 years, but it is looking to me that to get truly western standards prices end up being 5 million+.  So the flip side is to just go cheap and keep the extra money for the eventual repairs...  As a general rule I've found that in thailand if you go cheap you can get deals, but if you want medium/high end you end up paying a decent premium over western prices.  For $100,000 in the US for house-only in a rural area, I could build something of higher quality than I can in Thailand...

Just lonely out here in Issan, looking for some other farang's input...

I am also in the process of having a three bedroom, three bathroom house built in Issan, between Ubon Ratcthani and Amant Charoen in November 2019. Upon deliberating and researching such as yourself I have made contact with an English builder who has a company in Thailand. Upon speaking and e-mailing  he has given me what I believe to be a reasonable quote for a high quality build. If you want further details message me and I will send you the details ( not sure if Forum rules allow me to name him etc)

• Like 1

I am building a House in Khon Kaen right now

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1003921-new-build-in-khon-kaen/?page=4 and I am very impresed by the builder I am using.  TC House Khon Kaen . I cant say enough good things about them.

I send you a PM , if you are thinking about building in the area I would certainly take a look at him.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys.  

7 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

If already have the land, then a reasonably nice house should not cost that much. I am no builder, but the Mrs house is built relatively cheap in terms of actual building costs. Electric was a bit more, but for good reason. 3 bedrooms (main has ensuite), and one massive bathroom. If were to do it again would probably just do 4 bedrooms and a smaller bathroom. 

Just got the locals to build it, so not everything is perfectly straight, but you wouldn't know unless you studied the house intently. House and fence around 1.5 million (just over a rai fenced). We were lucky that we got a lot of the materials cheap through the engineers at the Mrs workplace and the building costs were low as gifts for the family more or less.

3 Bedrooms - 4mx4m

Inside kitchen - 6mx4m
Living area - 8mx4m
Bathroom/Washing Machine - 4mx4m
4 car carport 

Dog cage - 5mx4m
Free Buddha thing, free hut and 4 free outdoor dining settings

Suits us in terms of space as we spend a lot of time outside anyway. Western enough; inside seat toilets, showers, inside cooker, 2m door frames, high ceilings, sofa etc. 

Mrs loan is 1.1 million (government pays 50% of it anyway). The father-in-law put in the other 400k.

Image may contain: house, sky and outdoor 

That's a nice house for that price.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My experience - For What It Is Worth

I built a house in 2015 in Buri Ram Province.

Very few off the shelf plans suit everyone. I found a great CAD program - Mysweethome.  With this I designed the house and was able to 'walk through' the house before building and knew where everything would fit in the house. Program was only a few dollars to buy on the web.

Give the plan drawing and each of the elevations to an experienced builder and he will be bale to work from these.

Our house is 2 bedroom, two bathroom (1 en-suite) dressing room, lounge and inside kitchen for me. Outside we have a large gardenroo, troilet, outside kitchen and an office room

Built to normal western standards, hot showers, kitchen water heater,  tiled roof, aircon etc.

Total floor area is 205 square meters and total construction and fit out costs work out at 10,000 thb per square meter.

You can keep budget under control by buying all materials yourself and avoid the mark up scam.

Also if you can take time to be on site every day to check and supervise, you will avoid costly mistakes.

• Like 2

On 27/11/2017 at 2:17 PM, tlock said:

higher quality than I can in Thailand...

For 3 millions you will get a decent 2-bedroom house in EU standard, what is better than the card boards over there. Even insulation included and double layers walls. And with a tiled roof of course and tiled floors and 2 bathrooms. Double glazed windows are not really necessary. A western kitchen with granite counter and PVC cupboards. What you want more? 

Built a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house with living room, 8 x 4 metre kitchen meals room, and a family room, all up 200 square metres for 1.5 million baht.

Blonde bricks the thermal heat ones, steel roof frame, tile roof, polished concrete flooring, included total fit out and painting, what we call complete, and readt to move into.

The most important things to remember are:

Bedrooms to be on the opposite side of where the sun is at midday.

Cavity brick walls a must

Less windows the less heat coming in

Insulation in the roof, i.e. thermal reflective insulation delays the heat getting into the attic

Some whirly birds to remove the heat from the attic in summer

Eaves 900mm or more to shade the house and make sure your eaves are vented, i.e. soffit boards to have those holes in them so air can travel in and out of your roof

Air conditioners a must for hot summer nights, 26 degrees will be a perfect temperature, not to cold, and you won't even notice they are on, that is if you need them, but try without first, but summer does get really hot here.

Electrical in ceilings should be put into pvc piping or have that insulation that the rats cannot chew through, don't forget that safety switch, and put in plenty of power points, never enough, also sensors to light up the place if anyone comes onto your property at night. Hot water wall mounted systems no less than 6500w because they will be just fine in the winter months.

You can usually find a builder (rice farmer) in the village by word of mouth, our had exceptional skills, but you want to have a look at what he has built, and ask those people if they were happy with the build and price. DO NOT give the Mrs the money, you have to control it and oversee it, no disrespect to your Mrs, but most Thai's are not good with money, pay as you go, never in advance, and expect the builder to disappear every time he gets some money, but if you don't give him any in future advancements, he will come back to work, and make sure you have a full list of what is included in the build so there is no dispute and get him to sign it, 5 progress payments should do it, and make sure your land is above the road for future flooding, or fill it till it is above the road level.

Get a fixed price, you buy all of the materials and bargain with the hardware stores of local, or pay cheaper at the bigger stores.

Single level for ease of access and future years 

What part of Isaan you looking at building if I can enquire, as I might be able to recommend our guy and you could inspect our place ?

Good luck with it

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tlock said:

We are in Buriram. 

I think the conclusion I reached to my original question was "build a small nice house you can extend later".  I also realized that the price of the house was just the beginning, we also needed to build a wall, landscape, and furnish the thing.  We decided to just go with a 2 bedroom with a car port to start.  We think we've found a good builder, he comes highly recommended by several farangs in the area, and we saw other houses he's built to a nice western standard.  

Well done, the perfect solution.

When we would come to stay here for a month or two at a time, some 10 years ago, we built a 64m2 one bedroom Bungalow of brick and tile construction, a nice big one bedroom for us, then 3 years prior to moving here we got the same builder to extend and build the house joining onto the bungalow which was extended forward, i.e. 48m2 family room, and then converted the living room to another bedroom using a plasterboard wall, then adding the house, so the bungalow is now 2 bedrooms, with a family room and a bathroom, total 112m2, then the house has 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, so all up 6 beds, 3 baths, and around 316m2 to accommodate mum, dad, and 4 kids...lol

Sounds like a smart start, just remember to insulate against the heat and smoke, very important to be comfortable because you will miss the sea breezes 555

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

A couple of things I would suggest from my own experience..    have at least one nice big room in the house with cavity walls.. insulating block on the outside.. conventional concrete block on the inside ok.. verandas protecting the walls from direct sun.. if single story lots of insulation above ceiling.. and good air flow from roof space.... to keep the radiated heat level low..   if 2 story no worries.. you will have at least one room that keeps a pretty constant ambient temperature and very cheap to air con  cool if you want..   . ..have a nice room for yourself.. for your internet and escape from Thai TV and family visits etc.. construct it cool as well.. Pay by installments.. last payment when you are happy with everything...

Be on location every step of the way and make sure they do things the way you want.. Chok dee.. enjoy the journey..

• Like 1

Why do most people bent on having their own house want to build? Yes, I know the old, daddy gave us some land, but it may be better to be a bit away from the in-laws. I have seen several farang-built houses which are up for sale and some have been for years.  Some are pretty well built and quite lovely. Asking price is usually higher, but at least one I know will take B5M for his nice two-story 4bdr/4bth house on a 120sqm lot in a good quiet residential area.  Got to be plenty of farang- or local-built places in Isaan for sale, or have the ladies simply taken over all of them?

Edited by smotherb

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

Why do most people bent on having their own house want to build? Yes, I know the old, daddy gave us some land, but it may be better to be a bit away from the in-laws. I have seen several farang-built houses which are up for sale and some have been for years.  Some are pretty well built and quite lovely. Asking price is usually higher, but at least one I know will take B5M for his nice two-story 4bdr/4bth house on a 120sqm lot in a good quiet residential area.  Got to be plenty of farang- or local-built places in Isaan for sale, or have the ladies simply taken over all of them?

Because it's new, and every Thai I've ever met is obsessed with new. The farang-built houses usually only sell to other farangs because secondhand is still within our comfort zone, provided the price is right. Although IMHO many farangs put a price on their houses which almost guarantees it won't sell.

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Because it's new, and every Thai I've ever met is obsessed with new. The farang-built houses usually only sell to other farangs because secondhand is still within our comfort zone, provided the price is right. Although IMHO many farangs put a price on their houses which almost guarantees it won't sell.

So, farangs want to build houses because their wives want a new house? Well, that sounds like another poor decision to me, but I have heard the same. Why is it these lovestruck farangs obey? Oh, that's right, that wet spot again. As I said, I have seen lots farang-built houses for sale. Most ask a price they will never get, but probably a price close to what it cost them to build.

I built a house for the gf & I  .. I wanted a comfortable place for us.. with a garden..  I enjoy a project.. it wasn't without problems of course but no regrets.. we have been together 10 years now.. 5 in the 'new' house.. it is a gift to her and her daughter when I go.. If you think you are building for yourself and may want to sell later.. forget it.. rent.. 

1100 sq ft bungalow with 2 bedrooms, a bath, farang kitchen, LR / DR and  a 2 car carport was 1,000,000 baht.

If your little town is like mine no one would move there  if you didn t have family there.  The money is spent and I will never see it again. 

My wife tells me if you are poor people look down on you and if you are rich people are jealous.

There are bigger and more expensive homes in my village, good for them, I have money to travel and have no financial stress.  

6-1.jpg

Edited by isaanbanhou

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

So, farangs want to build houses because their wives want a new house? Well, that sounds like another poor decision to me, but I have heard the same. Why is it these lovestruck farangs obey? Oh, that's right, that wet spot again. As I said, I have seen lots farang-built houses for sale. Most ask a price they will never get, but probably a price close to what it cost them to build.

You can build it heaps cheaper than buy. The Mrs went to look at some houses with a few of her engineers that were being built in estates in the heart of our city. For the price she paid for her house we would be getting a much smaller house built out of poorer materials, and also no land (living on top of the neighbours). I would rather drive the 3km for the extra land, space and stronger house. 

The Mrs house is posted earlier in the thread. Cost 1.5 million, would sell for a lot more than that being close to our rural city. Before being built they had an offer of 1.1 million just for the land. 

Edited by wildewillie89