Seem to scare our workmen

tso310

Appreciate its not the greatest pic. I think its may be a green pit viper that was found on our external kitchen wall. It was treated with total respect by our workmen before they clubbed it. This was the first live snake I've seen in a long time. Seen plenty on the road that have been flattened. First time one of these green ones.

IMG_20171204_101900 (2).jpg

2 hours ago, tso310 said:

Shame but they all seemed to be scared of it.

I saw Thai guys letting a very similar snake move on its' way only yesterday, when I said tree snake ok? they appeared to be of the opinion the snake they were viewing could spit venom?

So yes a great deal of respect was shown, if perhaps not scared!

Edited by 473geo

I don't know a lot about That snakes but if they are anything like Aussie snakes they can be very difficult to identify at a glance.  I have seen Eastern Brown snakes,  arguably the most dangerous snake in the world,  in brown, black and a greyish silver colourations.

I'd probably listen to the locals in most cases as they probably have had a lifetime of experience with snakes in their particular area. 

I was married to a "Naga." Man, she was some kind of "special." What people don't realize is that the myth accounts for many different types of Naga - many of which were nefarious and deceptive - actually out to sabotage the Buddha's mission, or worse. I'm not sure what that actually means, but its lore is quite entrenched up and around Nong Khai and the farthest reaches of Issan. There are even "corridors" and passageways that have been mapped out and are purported to exist below the floor of the Kong River itself. I once crawled on my stomach through a subterranean cave system for a few hundred meters that was 'guarded' by a monk who claimed it was in continuous use by the "naga." All I got was a belly covered in assorted snake and lizard shit; not to mention, almost having expired from heat-stroke. Never saw a naga though.

Despite all that, with my marriage showing evidence to the contrary, I now have no doubt that they exist, at least in a more-or-less human form. A cross between a human and a monitor, perhaps. Whoa. I miss that woman (sarcasm alert).

12 hours ago, tryasimight said:

I don't know a lot about That snakes but if they are anything like Aussie snakes they can be very difficult to identify at a glance.  I have seen Eastern Brown snakes,  arguably the most dangerous snake in the world,  in brown, black and a greyish silver colourations.

I'd probably listen to the locals in most cases as they probably have had a lifetime of experience with snakes in their particular area. 

They may also have a lifetime of clubbing to death any they come across whether or not they are dangerous. It is perhaps simply that they don't want to take any chances when they don't know whether they are venomous. I don't, when I am relocating what I believe to be a harmless tree snake.

Edited by jacko45k

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They may also have a lifetime of clubbing to death any they come across whether or not they are dangerous. It is perhaps simply that they don't want to take any chances when they don't know whether they are venomous. I don't, when I am relocating what I believe to be a harmless tree snake.

I have a friend who is known as an 'expert' in the field of snakes. A brown snake bit him and he nearly died, he thought it was a different breed but he was wrong. All I am saying is be careful as sometimes snakes are not always the breed you think they are even though they appear to be. Snakes can take on the colour of their environment (and no I don't mean change colour like a chameleon) so one snake may be bright green in one environment but a snake of the same breed could appear very much different in a different environment. I have a book on Aussie snakes where the photos are all in black and white as the colour can be misleading as I mentioned before.

Posters who declare it is an xyz snake from a photo on line are, in my opinion, guessing 90% of the time.

With Aussie venomous snakes you really do need to do a scale count around the head and body to be sure......and that's not something I can ever see myself doing. I just give them room if they are not near the house. If they come too close then sorry snake - you gotta go - particularly the Eastern (or by its other unfortunate name the Common) Brown snake. These buggers grow to 6 foot and have a bad attitude and are ready biters and will come into a house without an invitation. Not something you want in your kitchen I can tell you.

if one does bite you and you don't know the first aid for snakebite you can be in a life threatening situation very rapidly. People have died within 20 minutes of being bitten.

Fortunately the Aussie snakes venom travels through the lymphatic system and not the blood, so immobilising the bitten limb can delay the symptoms for a very long time - long enough to get medical assistance. 

I know one guy whose grandmother did the suck the poison trick on a grandson after a bite and they both ended up in hospital. That just does not work with the Aussie snakes.

Edited by tryasimight

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

I have a friend who is known as an 'expert' in the field of snakes. A brown snake bit him and he nearly died, he thought it was a different breed but he was wrong. All I am saying is be careful as sometimes snakes are not always the breed you think they are even though they appear to be. Snakes can take on the colour of their environment (and no I don't mean change colour like a chameleon) so one snake may be bright green in one environment but a snake of the same breed could appear very much different in a different environment. I have a book on Aussie snakes where the photos are all in black and white as the colour can be misleading as I mentioned before.

Posters who declare it is an xyz snake from a photo on line are, in my opinion, guessing 90% of the time.

With Aussie venomous snakes you really do need to do a scale count around the head and body to be sure......and that's not something I can ever see myself doing. I just give them room if they are not near the house. If they come too close then sorry snake - you gotta go - particularly the Eastern (or by its other unfortunate name the Common) Brown snake. These buggers grow to 6 foot and have a bad attitude and are ready biters and will come into a house without an invitation. Not something you want in your kitchen I can tell you.

if one does bite you and you don't know the first aid for snakebite you can be in a life threatening situation very rapidly. People have died within 20 minutes of being bitten.

Fortunately the Aussie snakes venom travels through the lymphatic system and not the blood, so immobilising the bitten limb can delay the symptoms for a very long time - long enough to get medical assistance. 

I know one guy whose grandmother did the suck the poison trick on a grandson after a bite and they both ended up in hospital. That just does not work with the Aussie snakes.

You know something? When I was young I was quite cavalier about this type of thing, along with risk aversion, in general. But as I age, I find advice like yours, as close to genius-level as it gets. And, mind aside, few would consider me feeble. So, it's not about that. There are just so many factors that can influence perception that only time can demonstrate. Overly-idealized self-assuredness goes out the window, at some point, but only if you live long enough. Therein lies the conundrum.

On 04/12/2017 at 5:06 PM, connda said:

They're scared of mythical Nagas too.  No doubt they will be burning incense and lighting candles to keep the mythical big brother from stalking them from the netherworld.  

Uncalled for bashing of Thai culture.

Humans are not a typical prey for snakes, usually they disappear as soon as there is noise or vibrations around. Snakes attack if you step on them or their nest, or if they feel trapped. Knowing how much snakes there are around in Thailand, the amount of incidences is quite small. Unfortunately Thais prefer to cook the snakes instead of shooing them away....

Fatfather