U.S., foreign officials warn Trump not to call Jerusalem Israel's capital

webfact

U.S., foreign officials warn Trump not to call Jerusalem Israel's capital

By Arshad Mohammed and Yara Bayoumy

tag_reuters.jpg

A general view shows the Dome of the Rock and Jerusalem's Old City December 4, 2017. REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The possibility that U.S. President Donald Trump may recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital has stirred opposition from U.S. and foreign officials who fear it could unleash violence.

Such a decision, which U.S. officials have said has not been finalised, would violate decades of U.S. policy not to take a stance on the fate of Jerusalem on the grounds that this was an issue Israelis and Palestinians should negotiate and decide.

If Trump made such a move, it could spark demonstrations or violence by Palestinians or by Muslims around the world, in part because of the sensitivity of the Jerusalem site known to Jews as the Temple Mount and to Muslims as Haram al-Sharif.

The site includes the al Aqsa Mosque, the third-holiest site in Islam, and the golden Dome of the Rock. It was also the site of an ancient Jewish temple, the holiest place in Judaism.

Israel seized East Jerusalem, which includes the area, during a 1967 war. However, the Waqf, a Muslim religious body, manages the Islamic sites within the compound.

A senior U.S. official told Reuters last week that Trump was likely to make the announcement on Jerusalem's being Israel's capital on Wednesday, though his adviser and son-in-law Jared Kushner on Sunday said no final decision had been made.

Kushner is leading Trump's efforts to restart long-stalled Israeli-Palestinian peace talks, efforts that so far have shown little progress.

The White House said it would not take any action on Monday on whether to move the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv, something that Trump had promised to do in his presidential campaign.

Trump is expected to sign the waiver, according to several U.S. officials. One U.S. official said Trump was likely to accompany the signing with an order for his aides to begin serious planning for an eventual embassy move, though it was unclear whether he would establish a strict timetable. 

Two other U.S. officials said on condition of anonymity that news of the plan to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital had kicked up resistance from the State Department's Near Eastern Affairs bureau (NEA), which deals with the region.

"Senior (officials) in NEA and a number of ambassadors from the region expressed their deep concern about doing this," said one official, saying that the concerns focussed on "security."

The State Department referred questions to the White House. The White House did not immediately respond to requests for comment about the concerns of U.S. and foreign officials about the possibility of recognising Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

A fourth U.S. official said the consensus U.S. intelligence estimate on U.S. recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital was that it would risk triggering a backlash against Israel, and also potentially against U.S. interests in the Middle East.

"PLAYING WITH FIRE"

The core issues in the Israeli-Palestinian dispute include borders, the future of Jewish settlements in the West Bank, the fate of Palestinian refugees and the status of Jerusalem.

The Palestinians seek to establish an independent state in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, territory captured in the 1967 Middle East war and the Gaza Strip, which is controlled by Islamist Hamas, with East Jerusalem as its capital.

U.S. allies voiced their misgivings about the United States unilaterally calling Jerusalem Israel's capital.

"Any U.S. announcement on the status of Jerusalem prior to a final settlement would have a detrimental impact on the peace process and would heighten tensions in the region," Prince Khalid bin Salman, Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the United States, said in a statement.

French President Emmanuel Macron "expressed his concern over the possibility that the United States would unilaterally recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel" during a phone call with Trump on Monday, Macron's office said after the two leaders spoke by telephone.

And in an unusually detailed statement published by Jordan's official news agency Petra, Jordanian Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi was quoted as having warned U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson against the move in a call on Sunday.

Safadi said such a move would "trigger anger across the Arab and Muslim world, fuel tension and jeopardise peace efforts," Petra reported.

The Palestine Liberation Organization's chief representative in Washington, Husam Zomlot, said a formal U.S. recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel would be the "kiss of death" to the two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

"Should such a step be taken it would have catastrophic consequences," Zomlot told Reuters.

A fifth U.S. official said concerns of Palestinian and other Arab leaders about endorsing Israel's claim to Jerusalem were being taken into account but no final decisions had been made.

Daniel Benjamin, a former U.S. counterterrorism official now at Dartmouth University, had a simple message: "This is playing with fire."

(Reporting by Arshad Mohammed and Yara Bayoumy; Additional reporting by Matt Spetalnick and John Walcott in Washington and Ingrid Melander in Paris; Writing by Arshad Mohammed; Editing by Leslie Adler)

reuters_logo.jpg
    -- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-05

Nothing that Trump has done so far has shown the least bit of sense, so doing something this stupid would be totally in character. And when the place goes up in flames, we will undoubtedly hear a bunch of complete lies denying that it was his fault. He is like the Anti Midas; everything he touches turns to shit.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Nothing that Trump has done so far has shown the least bit of sense, so doing something this stupid would be totally in character. And when the place goes up in flames, we will undoubtedly hear a bunch of complete lies denying that it was his fault. He is like the Anti Midas; everything he touches turns to shit.

He is like the Anti Midas; everything he touches turns to shit

:cheesy: First prize for the more imaginative sentence of the year:biggrin:

Let the Jews have Jerusalem; their historical religious heartland just as the Muslims have Mecca and Medina as theirs.

Ideally and hopefully, one day all these Abrahamic religions will be replaced by scientific logic.

Sent from my Orgasmatron using Thaivisa Connect

Whilst this move is clearly deliberately incendiary, as are many of Trump's decisions, I must say it pales by comparison with W's and Blair's invasion of Iraq. Or perhaps it is a continuation of a policy to deliberately destabilise the Arab world to keep the fighting over there rather than elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Probably taken advice from his special Israeli advisor, his son-in-law.

To clarify, Jared Kushner (that is likely in legal hot water now over the Russia investigation) is not an Israeli. He's an American and an Orthodox Jew. trump picked him to "fix" the Israeli - Palestinian conflict. Not very logical as he brings no experience to the table for such a role. 

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Probably taken advice from his special Israeli advisor, his son-in-law.

Unlikely. Kushner is a lot of things, but doubt he's that clueless. If anything, this related more to Trump's election campaign promises, and pandering to Bannon's and the Evangelist crowd. But first and foremost, I think it's just one of them things what passes for Trump's mind got stuck on. Same as with the "birther" thing.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Kushner is leading Trump's efforts to restart long-stalled Israeli-Palestinian peace talks, efforts that so far have shown little progress.

Depends on how one defines "progress."

I believe it's Trump's overall aim is to disenfranchise the two-state solution to provide Netanyahu a fait du accompli for a one state solution with Palestine becoming a stateless territory under Israel/UN(?) governance.

To that end Kushner's lack of progress and Trump's designation of Jerusalem as Israel's capital are deliberate steps towards "progress."

2 minutes ago, digger70 said:

So why all the Bullshit? It is what it is Jerusalem IS the Capital of Israel. One calls a horse a horse so the Capital Is the Capital, in this case ,,,,Jerusalem,,,,

Clearly you need a history lesson.

Please state which countries recognise a unified Jerusalem as either the capital of Israel or indeed, part of Israel.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

To clarify, Jared Kushner (that is likely in legal hot water now over the Russia investigation) is not an Israeli. He's an American and an Orthodox Jew. trump picked him to "fix" the Israeli - Palestinian conflict. Not very logical as he brings no experience to the table for such a role. 

And being an Orthodox Jew he is likely to take the side of Israel. He has already stated that he sees no solution to the Israel -Palestine problem. Meaning the Palestinians can never have a viable Palestine State as Israel has no intention of removing any of the illegal settlements and are even planning to expand more.

And being an Orthodox Jew he is likely to take the side of Israel. He has already stated that he sees no solution to the Israel -Palestine problem. Meaning the Palestinians can never have a viable Palestine State as Israel has no intention of removing any of the illegal settlements and are even planning to expand more.

He never said that. I agree Kushner is a very bad choice and in his case I agree obviously heavily biased towards Israel. But it would be hateful to assert that all Americans with a Jewish background should be automatically discredited for Israel bias. In truth Israel bias is more a matter of policy than an ethnicity or religion of specific potential negotiators.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Depends on how one defines "progress."

I believe it's Trump's overall aim is to disenfranchise the two-state solution to provide Netanyahu a fait du accompli for a one state solution with Palestine becoming a stateless territory under Israel/UN(?) governance.

To that end Kushner's lack of progress and Trump's designation of Jerusalem as Israel's capital are deliberate steps towards "progress."

I have no idea what the above stated belief is based on. It would require believing that Trump actually possesses a long term concrete goal on this issue. As he doesn't seem to have a whole lot of this with regard to other issues, closer to his heart, doesn't sound very convincing.

Kushner's supposed lack of progress is not outside the norms of lack-of-progress related to the Israeli Palestinian conflict. Lack of progress is standard. If anything, it's a small miracle he didn't make a mess of things so far. As the specifics of Trump's administration's plan are still in doubt, judging whether lack of progress actually applies could be premature (not that I'm getting my hopes high).

Most of Trump's presidency and decision making seem to be anathema to "deliberate". No specific reason to assume this one's any different.

9 minutes ago, William T said:

There are quite a few American Jews, even Orthodox ones, who do not see things eye-to-eye with the Israeli government. In a broader sense, "Israel's side" is also an off-mark generalization, not as if there's one view involved. Kushner did not say what you claimed, but rather that there might not be a solution, which is a realistic, is a pessimist comment. I don't think the whole "meaning..." bit was mentioned, and do note that your "analysis" ignores any issues pertaining to the Palestinian side, which isn't exactly ready and willing as well.

5 minutes ago, Morch said:

Most of Trump's presidency and decision making seem to be anathema to "deliberate"

Then you have missed his Presidential Orders and tweets.

When it comes to racism, nationalism and protection of white Christian culture, his actions have been very deliberate. It is in such context that I make my comments about "progress" of peace talks.

26 minutes ago, William T said:

"Kushner's dismissal of the nuances of the conflict has already been an issue. Last month, when Kushner met with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, a Palestinian official told Haaretz that Kushner "sounded like Netanyahu's advisers and not like fair arbiters" and that they were "greatly disappointed" After the meeting, Abbas himself was "reportedly furious."

Kushner  has been quoted as saying there may be no solution.  Netanyahu has seen to that.

10 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Then you have missed his Presidential Orders and tweets.

When it comes to racism, nationalism and protection of white Christian culture, his actions have been very deliberate. It is in such context that I make my comments about "progress" of peace talks.

Haven't missed anything. That he and/or people around him got certain views, prejudices and whatnot still doesn't make "deliberate" an apt descriptor of his actions, or indeed, his presidency. To assess the current administration's mediation efforts without any reference to how previous administrations fared is pointless.

I have no idea what the above stated belief is based on. It would require believing that Trump actually possesses a long term concrete goal on this issue. As he doesn't seem to have a whole lot of this with regard to other issues, closer to his heart, doesn't sound very convincing.

Kushner's supposed lack of progress is not outside the norms of lack-of-progress related to the Israeli Palestinian conflict. Lack of progress is standard. If anything, it's a small miracle he didn't make a mess of things so far. As the specifics of Trump's administration's plan are still in doubt, judging whether lack of progress actually applies could be premature (not that I'm getting my hopes high).

Most of Trump's presidency and decision making seem to be anathema to "deliberate". No specific reason to assume this one's any different.

I was really talking in general. Most normal presidencies do have a pro Israel bias. I agree trump is incoherent. I was objecting mostly to the idea that American Jews automatically should have disqualifying perceived bias to work on these issues in government.

As far as Kushner I'm sorry but his past association with the settlement movement perhaps should be disqualifying.

4 minutes ago, William T said:

"Kushner's dismissal of the nuances of the conflict has already been an issue. Last month, when Kushner met with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, a Palestinian official told Haaretz that Kushner "sounded like Netanyahu's advisers and not like fair arbiters" and that they were "greatly disappointed" After the meeting, Abbas himself was "reportedly furious."

Kushner  has been quoted as saying there may be no solution.  Netanyahu has seen to that.

That's a Palestinian point of view, and other than being partisan, should also be taken in the context of negotiation tactics. This particular hissy fit even had it's own topic a while back, doesn't seem like negotiations broke down or that Abbas didn't get over it, if it was even genuine. You can repeat one-sided views on who's responsibility it is for things being what they are - doesn't make for an accurate account or even a helpful one.

"a Palestinian official told Haaretz that Kushner "sounded like Netanyahu's advisers and not like fair arbiters" and that they were "greatly disappointed" After the meeting, Abbas himself was "reportedly furious."

May be no solution is obvious to all. But he did not say definitely no solution as previously stated. Big difference!!!!!

2 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Interesting,,,a deep anti-Obama bias is considered racist. I could care less what Trump does or doesn’t do as long as his presence and actions keep exposing both parties hypocrisy and dysfunction while gutting the political status quo within the US and around the world.

This thread isn't about Obama.