That damned arrogant cyclist says sorry but..

nosguitar

12 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

And a MTB isn't a pushbike ? Do me a favour matey, I have a mountain bike, I pedal it around the village, ergo it is a pushbike, as for riding outside the safety of my village, I am not a deranged delusional Muppet that thinks Thai drivers are gonna give me a wide berth, I don't know where you live, but if you actually live in the city and have the nerve to call it a modern city then you certainly are delusional. I wish you well in your endeavours, please send me an invite to your cremation. :whistling:

I am staying with you GT rider . A pushbike , push the pedals . A bicycle with an engine is a Motorbicycle , No its not its a motorbike !

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not sure how you road bike guys do it to be honest. I ride a downhill MTB with urban tyres to give me the best opportunity to ride road, footpath, sand, whatever. 

The tyres I purchased are wide enough to deal with most obstacles yet being a semi slick they’re awesome in dirt and water as well as on the asphalt. 

45AACBF9-4078-4DFD-88FF-D0A7D13007EA.jpeg

1 hour ago, meinphuket said:

Bicycle riders do not pay road tax, yet obstruct traffic by occupying a whole lane, switching lanes randomly without signalling, and don't stop for red lights. As a car driver, I respond by blocking them whenever I can.

You sound like a really tough guy 

Nice machine Kadilo , hours of fun in the sun with that . I am hoping to do the 3 day ride for the elephants in Chantaburi next month. They say it's kiddy friendly , I hope so because this old roady and single tracks don't mix.  I tried the so-called beginner's track at Kao Mai Kheo last year , hit a root and ended pinned to a branch by my glove. I thought it was my thumb bone sticking through. Never again . 

Hey there,  men in black, lady in red ,  or whatever you want to call yourself , just give us a signal and a bit of time to take defensive action before you sit back and take pleasure in your conquest of the road. I would be eternally grateful, we could even meet afterwards,  share copious beers and swap road tales . I can brag about the red lights I have skipped through and you can brag about all those tax dodging cyclists you've hurt.  :-) please take this in the spirit that it's meant. It's cool season , sunny outside and the beer is better than the pish I am use to in UK . 

13 hours ago, balo said:

Nothing wrong with bicycles , I have been riding down Jomtien beach rd almiost daily when I lived there.  You just need to keep your eyes and ears open . 

I also installed mirrors so I can see what's behind me , that helps a lot in the crazy traffic. Never had an accident after 6 years, knock on wood. 

I said "never had an accident" once when someone asked me whether i had a deathwish for riding a bike in the city and ironically I then got cleaned up by a car the following day, so knock on wood again.

Guys and gals I am a newby (looks as though I can't even spell newbie, damned Americans , oops not again :-) )  at this , in case any of you hadn't been able to tell . I don't know if I am supposed to close the thread or even how to . I would just like to say I enjoyed reading all the posts and am grateful for the smiles, laughs, shared experiences and advice. Some of which I may even follow , if I can remember , which , these days seems unlikely . Have a wonderful day to yous all  , gotta go and bake these auld bones in the sunshine . 

Guys and gals I am a newby (looks as though I can't even spell newbie, damned Americans , oops not again :-) )  at this , in case any of you hadn't been able to tell . I don't know if I am supposed to close the thread or even how to . I would just like to say I enjoyed reading all the posts and am grateful for the smiles, laughs, shared experiences and advice. Some of which I may even follow , if I can remember , which , these days seems unlikely . Have a wonderful day to yous all  , gotta go and bake these auld bones in the sunshine . 

You don’t need to close the thread it will, like many expats here , just slow down to a stop then fade away never to be seen again !!

Safe pedalling !

3 hours ago, meinphuket said:

Bicycle riders do not pay road tax, yet obstruct traffic by occupying a whole lane, switching lanes randomly without signalling, and don't stop for red lights. As a car driver, I respond by blocking them whenever I can.

Love guys like you, people who keep tight into the kerbside make me smile,. Do you know how many polite motorists behind you leave room for the cyclist to pull out and overtake you on the space you create on the other side? 

I often overtake into oncoming traffic when my inside route is blocked, and surely appreciate the space you provide to pull in and let them pass when required:smile:

Just to say, before other cyclists think I am completely mad, my actions above are usually carried out when there are rows of stationary traffic, a daily occurrence in my cycling life.

Edited by 473geo

5 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

I’m not sure how you road bike guys do it to be honest. I ride a downhill MTB with urban tyres to give me the best opportunity to ride road, footpath, sand, whatever. 

The tyres I purchased are wide enough to deal with most obstacles yet being a semi slick they’re awesome in dirt and water as well as on the asphalt. 

45AACBF9-4078-4DFD-88FF-D0A7D13007EA.jpeg

Nice looking bike MM :smile:

Purely as a matter of interest in a previous life I owned five mountain bike retail outlets in Singapore as well as distributing MTBs throughout SEA.  I was also a founding father of the Singapore Bike Hash, now a world wide thing :smile:

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

Nice looking bike MM :smile:

Purely as a matter of interest in a previous life I owned five mountain bike retail outlets in Singapore as well as distributing MTBs throughout SEA.  I was also a founding father of the Singapore Bike Hash, now a world wide thing :smile:

Thanks for the kudos mate. It’s a great bike, I love it. Top quality and extremely light. It should see many a year of cycling. 

Wow! You’ve definitely had some MTB experience! The Bike Hash is famous world wide. Amazing. 

Thanks for sharing 

16 hours ago, meinphuket said:

switching lanes randomly without signalling, and don't stop for red lights.

Why all this hostility ?   I always stop for red lights and follow the traffic pattern in Pattaya .  I have also installed signal lights on my bike .  

Bike-Signal-Pod.jpg

19 hours ago, meinphuket said:

Ha ha ha ,Obviously a  would be "Troll" with that kind of attitude but please for your own safety dont ever get in front of me and try to block me  for you may have a "moment of clarity" if you do! 

3 hours ago, balo said:

Why all this hostility ?   I always stop for red lights and follow the traffic pattern in Pattaya .  I have also installed signal lights on my bike .  

Bike-Signal-Pod.jpg

Hi balo, my riding and golfing buddy Texas Bob only mentioned yesterday he was looking for indicator lights for a bike, can you say where we  can buy them from

Regards

Got on my bike and did a search and found something similar on Lazada 

but still interested where you bought yours from balo?

This is the link to lazada cycle turning signal lights  link;

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=signal lights fro cycle&spm=a2o4m.home.search.igo.5fb75001LRKNTP

Edited by n210mp

14 hours ago, n210mp said:

Got on my bike and did a search and found something similar on Lazada 

but still interested where you bought yours from balo?

I bought it from Lazada , my signal light is not the same as the one pictured, I just used it as an example. 

This is the link to the one I got.   

https://www.lazada.co.th/jowsua-bicycle-turn-light-16911237.html

It's wireless with remote control and you charge it from your USB . One charge is good for 1-2 months depending on how much you use it .  

11 hours ago, balo said:

I bought it from Lazada , my signal light is not the same as the one pictured, I just used it as an example. 

This is the link to the one I got.   

https://www.lazada.co.th/jowsua-bicycle-turn-light-16911237.html

It's wireless with remote control and you charge it from your USB . One charge is good for 1-2 months depending on how much you use it .  

Thank you I just ordered the same one as you have 

Regards

On 12/5/2017 at 9:39 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Why the hell would you want to ride a pushbike in Thailand ? do you have a death wish ? And as for riding a pushbike in any part of Pattaya, well, I think you need your head testing. 

I don't know how old you are but if you wanna get older leave the bike at home and walk or Baht bus your way around town. :whistling:

Yeah you r right. Just not the right thing to do in this part of the world. I will say sell the push bike (how many drinks can you get from that push bike?)

cycling is just as much as addiction as slurping copious amounts of beer in Pattayas bars and those like me who participate in the sport will never EVER convince those with an alternative point of view of the delights of touring in my case the same old routes over many years  and meeting up with not just other cyclists from many nations but actually meeting the nice  local Thai people that are around in the cool and quiet of the  early mornings. 

Whilst my adopted sport may seem full of dangers to some, in my opinion its is just (Maybe, dont really know) the same odds as walking the Soi's of any town in this area  where at the wrong moment in time you can be a victim of a driver either asleep at the wheel, or a motorcyclist  mounting the pavement  possibly drunk or drugged, maybe   even  just going up the street in the wrong direction.

(never heard of a cyclist running into someone in Pattaya though)

On the other hand there are those whose sport takes them into the bars around the area, where they flirt and haggle whilst drinking and smoking their heads off, then after a few sensations of the amber nectar wind their way home to the place they rest their heads  together with a person whom they have selected to spend the night with . (presumably never met before , Now how many risks are attached to that simple exercise?)

The pitfalls of the sidewalks, the preying mantis type lady-boys and buggers sorry (Muggers)  

Without going into a risk assessment that would test the experts of the Worlds underwriting experts, I would respectfully suggest that my  adopted sport would attract a better premium  for life insurance then some of the dissenters of the sport on this thread.

Written at a time when I should really be out on the bike but a flat put a stop to that this morning!