Aussie couple's holiday from hell after motorbike crash in Phuket

webfact

Canberra couple's holiday from hell after motorbike crash in Thailand

Sherryn Groch

1512631464389.jpg

Canberra couple Sam William and Shani Bourne were badly injured in a crash in Thailand. Photo: Supplied

A surprise birthday getaway has turned into a "nightmare" for a Canberra couple badly injured in a crash in Thailand on Monday.

Shani Bourne and Sam William were driving through Patong on a hired scooter when a car swerved towards them. As they veered to avoid it, they collided with a parked truck.

Ms Bourne, 25, was rushed to hospital with a fractured pelvis, a broken nose and several facial injuries as well as a brain bleed, while Mr Williams, 25, suffered a broken arm.

Full story: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/canberra-couples-holiday-from-hell-after-motorbike-crash-in-thailand-20171207-h00l2r.html

-- The Canberra Times 2017-12-07

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Insurance probably denied as a motorcycle was used.

Insurance companies should really make a point of highlighting this to future travelers here, but, as people would refuse to buy the policy, or go to a different company that may cover it,  I very much doubt they will. 

Unfortunately most holidaymakers who go to Thailand ignore the fact that they have voided their accident insurance the moment they ride the Scooter unless they are one of the very few wiser ones.

I think it is safe to say that ALL policies issued in Australia will make it clear that if you are unlicensed, unprotected (no helmet) , drunk or drug affected you are on your own. Don’t blame the insurance companies, they are there to pay only legitimate claims not protect stupidity, Darwinism should rule..

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

Insurance companies should really make a point of highlighting this to future travelers here, but, as people would refuse to buy the policy, or go to a different company that may cover it,  I very much doubt they will. 

See the full story, his motorbike license had lapsed.

As usual the recurring theme of creating a mess for yourselves then asking others to pay for your stupidity. The guy must have known that his Oz licence had expired but chose to ignore that fact and ride a bike anyway, in doing so, understandably invalidating his insurance.

I don't know how much it costs to renew a licence there but I'll hazard a guess that it's under $80,000.

They are paying a high price for that bad decision, unless enough strangers are willing to contribute to their fundraising. 

I wish them both a full recovery, in any event.

witnessed it last week at my condo Jomtien. young Russian girl wanted to hire the PCX< condo manager, you do have a licence  dont you ? could tell by her body language she had never been on a motorbike in her life did not know how  to put a helmet on, (at least she finally did it)now for the x few weeks she will be flying round Jomtien/Pattaya 

The roads in Thailand are dangerous and deadly, that is a fact. Renting a motorbike is pretty easy and cheap, but its a good idea to just let it be.

Reality will hit you pretty hard if you have an accident, and the consequenses could be fatal so it may be a good idea to just let it be an grab a taxi?

2 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

In most countries, a business will not rent to a car or motorbike if you don't have a license.  That would have saved this couple if the law would have been followed and a valid license had to be shown.

Correct ... a real hire business like Hertz, Avis, Budget, etc will not hire with out a valid DL and a valid credit card to cover any deposit. These cowboys on the street just want your money and sign contract where you pay for a new bike or all damages on a car.  I've given up with these independents who tell you full insurance but when I get wife to really read the contract then it is far from full insurance .... I walk away.  

4 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

In most countries, a business will not rent to a car or motorbike if you don't have a license.  That would have saved this couple if the law would have been followed and a valid license had to be shown.

Thailand is NOT like most countries, and thank god for that. 

Even in Thailand its allowed to use a bit common sense, isn't it? 

6 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

What law is that (I genuinely don't know whether or not there is a law in Thailand that prohibits hiring a motorcycle to a customer with no valid licence)?

Do you not agree that the guy ought to have taken some responsibility himself? I'm pretty sure there is a law requiring a valid licence to ride a motorcycle. I also know that many Thais break that law, but when they come unstuck they don't set up crowdfunding accounts to bail them out.

They forgot to pack their sense of responsibility with the rest of their luggage. They are in a developing country yet are affronted by the concept of having to pay for treatment and their return home. This is not the first story about Aussies facing similar problems. Why don't they learn from others' mistakes?

19 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

What law is that (I genuinely don't know whether or not there is a law in Thailand that prohibits hiring a motorcycle to a customer with no valid licence)?

Do you not agree that the guy ought to have taken some responsibility himself? I'm pretty sure there is a law requiring a valid licence to ride a motorcycle. I also know that many Thais break that law, but when they come unstuck they don't set up crowdfunding accounts to bail them out.

It's the 'but I'm on holiday so the usual commonsense rules and laws don't apply' defence. :post-4641-1156694572:

When will the Thai government step in and apply pressure to the renters of such bikes/scooters, that insurance must be issued with the bike for the bike renter or shut up shop.

Probably 100 years after I am long dead and buried 555

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I also think the Australian Government should enforce insurance companies to highlight it in BOLD and in RED

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I also think the Australian Government should enforce insurance companies to highlight it in BOLD and in RED

Doesn't matter what colour, font, underlining or print size, if the guy had no valid licence he still would not be covered.

3 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

As usual the recurring theme of creating a mess for yourselves then asking others to pay for your stupidity. The guy must have known that his Oz licence had expired but chose to ignore that fact and ride a bike anyway, in doing so, understandably invalidating his insurance.

I don't know how much it costs to renew a licence there but I'll hazard a guess that it's under $80,000.

They are paying a high price for that bad decision, unless enough strangers are willing to contribute to their fundraising. 

I wish them both a full recovery, in any event.

Most insurance companies don;t cover motorcycles, the ones that do, require that the appropriate international licence has been taken out.

NRMA charge about $40, a simple form to fill in, copy of your riding licence, a passport size photo and off you go, simple really.

Sorry, I feel for the couple, but how many times does this have to occur before either governments step in and say; oy, insurance companies, highlight what is not covered in bold and in red, in big clear letters, like WARNING, YOU ARE NOT COVERED IF AND BLA BLA BLA and the Thai government stepping up to the plate and making sure the renters of the bikes/scooters have insurance to cover the riders, or shut shop, heavy fines and imprisonment as well

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

When will the Thai government step in and apply pressure to the renters of such bikes/scooters, that insurance must be issued with the bike for the bike renter or shut up shop.

Probably 100 years after I am long dead and buried 555

It would be an insane insurance company who will cover any tom dick and harry off the street using the bike renter as the go between. 

Also, if i know Thais (and those bike guys are cunning as shlt) not long before they will be charge the renter for insurance but give fake policy contract from pretend company and pocket the dough

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Most insurance companies don;t cover motorcycles, the ones that do, require that the appropriate international licence has been taken out.

NRMA charge about $40, a simple form to fill in, copy of your riding licence, a passport size photo and off you go, simple really.

Sorry, I feel for the couple, but how many times does this have to occur before either governments step in and say; oy, insurance companies, highlight what is not covered in bold and in red, in big clear letters, like WARNING, YOU ARE NOT COVERED IF AND BLA BLA BLA and the Thai government stepping up to the plate and making sure the renters of the bikes/scooters have insurance to cover the riders, or shut shop, heavy fines and imprisonment as well

Well in this specific case the guy could not get an International Driving Permit because his Australian licence had expired.

in the past it would have been common to buy insurance face to face or on a phone from a broker, who would talk you through the exclusions. Nowadays it is often done online and I suspect that plenty of people tick the boxes that will get them the cheapest rate rather than ensuring that they have proper cover for all of their activities - especially the type of person who drives without holding a valid licence.

19 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Well in this specific case the guy could not get an International Driving Permit because his Australian licence had expired.

in the past it would have been common to buy insurance face to face or on a phone from a broker, who would talk you through the exclusions. Nowadays it is often done online and I suspect that plenty of people tick the boxes that will get them the cheapest rate rather than ensuring that they have proper cover for all of their activities - especially the type of person who drives without holding a valid licence.

Ain't that the truth...

bleed to the brain. i wonder if they were wearing helmets. most tourists i see flying around don't bother. if that was the case with these guys and the blokes license was still valid, i think the insurance could still refuse to pay if they could prove a crash helmet hadn't been used

12 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Why is the blame not being directed to the car that drove at them? 

They could be fully legal and still end up in hospital, time to prosecute the people who cause the accidents.

Not much point, apparently not involved in the actual accident and long gone if it existed at all.

Not saying it's the case here, but many people in single vehicle accidents often blame other vehicles, people , animals, etc, for causing them to leave the road.