US couple arrested for taking naked selfies in Thailand have been released from jail

Jonathan Fairfield

US couple arrested for taking naked selfies in Thailand have been released from jail

tb1.jpg

Image: San Diego Gay and Lesbian News

Two American men who were arrested in Thailand for posting naked photos to Instagram have reportedly been released from jail and are heading home to San Diego.

Joseph Dasilva, 38, and Travis Dasilva, 36, were arrested at Bangkok’s Don Mueang International Airport last month after images posted to their ‘Travelling Butts’ Instagram account showed them dropping their trousers at various religious sites around Thailand.

The photos, one of which showed the men with their trousers down at Wat Arun temple, went viral and quickly caught the attention of the Thai authorities who arrested the married couple as they tried to depart Thailand on November 28th.

It had been reported the couple faced up to seven years in jail for breaching Thailand’s strict Computer Crimes Act.

However, on Friday the San Diego Gay and Lesbian News reported that a Thai court dismissed the charges against the men, who had been held jail since their arrest.

The men were instead handed over to Immigration Police who are processing their deportation.

“They wanted me to thank everyone for their thoughts prayers and concerns,” said Robert Rodriguez, a friend of the couple.

“They send all their love to their friends that have supported them,” he added.

Last week, it was reported that the men had paid a fine of 5,000 baht each following their arrest.

Commenting at the time of their arrest, Thai government officials said: “This is a reminder that everyone should have respect for Thai religion and culture.”

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-10

UPDATE:

Travis Dasilva contacted Thaivisa to inform us that the recently created 'Travelling Butts' Instagram account is nothing to do with the either of the men mentioned in the story above. He says the original account was removed from Instagram and remains offline. We've corrected the story above.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Commenting at the time of their arrest, Thai government officials said: “This is a reminder that everyone should have respect for Thai Religion and Culture".

Sounds reasonable to me.

Edited by ClutchClark

17 minutes ago, MarkusAUST said:

I think the whole thing got blown totally out of proportion, so them being released and going on their way is the right course of action. People committing violence get away much lighter.

I think the guys should grow some decency.

Some people just never learn. While I am happy to see them sent home, rather than sit in jail for ages for a relatively minor offense, you would have hoped they would have learnt something from the episode and had the decency to not repost the images. I hope they have the good sense to never return.

1 minute ago, darksidedog said:

Some people just never learn. While I am happy to see them sent home, rather than sit in jail for ages for a relatively minor offense, you would have hoped they would have learnt something from the episode and had the decency to not repost the images. I hope they have the good sense to never return.

not sure they are on the plane yet

"Free Willies".  neverending love between two men. 

Joseph had a one night stand and is awaiting a baby now. Of course is his wife not happy about it. A divorce might be the result.Hrrrrrr.......:shock1:

Edited by jenny2017

13 minutes ago, Aforek said:

Ridiculous and stupid people; never come back to Thailand, you don't deserve it 

So they are free to leave the LOS.

Heroes to some; villans to others.

The Don had a word with Tilly

Tilly had a word with Junta vice PM.

Vice PM had a word with  Ch-o-ch.

Ch-o-ch had a word with the court clerk.

Court Clerk had a word with Miss Pinky.

Miss Pinky had a word with the Justices.

Thanks Miss Pinky! At least you can see the humour. Pass it on; Thailand needs some!

Edited by owl sees all

3 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

what was funny?

The whole thing was funny!! A little joke by a married couple. religious nuts got involved. Thailand; get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Miss Pinky; you already have one!

Edited by owl sees all

4 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

Anyway i say down with this sort of thing.

Yes Marko! I think this is word-play humour!!! Like it!! More of the same please! Pass your thoughts on to The Junta leaders.

Edited by owl sees all

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The whole thing was funny!! A little joke by a married couple. religious nuts got involved. Thailand; get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Miss Pinky; you already have one!

A little joke by a married couple? religious nuts got involved? Who has to get a life here? 

21 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

So they are free to leave the LOS.

Heroes to some; villans to others.

The Don had a word with Tilly

Tilly had a word with Junta vice PM.

Vice PM had a word with  Ch-o-ch.

Ch-o-ch had a word with the court clerk.

Court Clerk had a word with Miss Pinky.

Miss Pinky had a word with the Justices.

Thanks Miss Pinky! At least you can see the humour. Pass it on; Thailand needs some!

Heroes? For what?

56 minutes ago, hansnl said:

And some respect.

If they want to do things like this in a gay enclave that's fine, but they need to respect that temples are not gay enclaves and there are folks there teaching their children to respect certain things and that definitely doesn't include naked butts in a temple compound. 

GLBT folks want people to respect them (fine), so they also need to respect the values etc., of other groups in society. Two way street.

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

You mean like the guys who bar fine women, which is also against the law, an affront to polite Thai culture, and much, much more invasive than hanging a moon.

Once again, I get a kick out of the guys who want to see their preferred rules upheld, and a blind eye turned toward those rules they don't like.

Edit:  That last remark wasn't aimed so much at hansnl as at the general tone here at TVF.  His was just a convenient post to quote.  One of many to choose from.

Edited by impulse

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

You mean like the guys who bar fine women, which is also against the law, an affront to polite Thai culture, and much more invasive than hanging a moon.

I will take a crack at this one. 

It all hinges on the location IMO.

If these two guys want to drop trow on Soi Nana at 2:00 in the morning then more power to them. 

Conversely, if a guy wants to barfine a woman and do the dastardly on the steps of the Reclining Buddha then he should suffer for his actions.