Bangkok Metropolitan Police to enforce tougher law on motorbike drivers

webfact

9 hours ago, mercman24 said:

HELMETS SAVE LIVES  why do you think mototcyce racers wear helmets they dont often hit a solid object but when the do come off they aint doing 40 mph and they always walk away, now you put a thai on a bike and let him roll down the road on his head at 40 mph , different story

well you need understand the physics involved then you might just grasp what is obvious, an attempt has been made to explain it to you.

Yes on a track .............................. there is no solid object to hit (except another motorbike or the ground) so when riding at 200mph in a forward direction and you come off - you are dropping to the ground (possibly 5ft unless highsided) from seat height ......and this is a fact - your impact speed with the ground is determined by gravity not forward speed, no matter what speed you are moving forward at (velocity) you are in fact hitting the ground at about 15-30kph, I have tried my best to explain this concept.................yes your impact with the ground is based on height not forward motion..

As for "Helmets Save Lives" well yes they generally do but there are so many other factors, in the UK where we have a general adherence to the rules and enforcement by the police of the laws - what we see as a measure of effectiveness of wearing a helmet and is based on how people drive in the UK - you cannot apply that statistic to Thailand, so you can quote all the stats you like but ultimately it is vastly more complicated and very different in Thailand    

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, masuk said:

I think part of the problem is that they learn to drive on Motorbikes, and keep the bad habits when they're on 4 wheels.

For example - weaving from lane to lane.   Indicating a turn AFTER they've started turning.  Not looking to their right at intersections.  Thinking they can stop on a satang - but they're moving a tonne of metal!

BTW:  It's all very well proposing these marvellous new traffic ideas for BKK, but there are other cities here too!!

people will do what they like if they feel they can get away with it even if they know it is breaking the rules, it is human nature, so there has to be something to stop them breaking the rules.................

A fine example would be to take 2000 Thai car owners/drivers  to the UK and give them the keys of a vehicle to drive around, they would learn very quickly that they cannot drive the way they do in Thailand, and the UK having very similar laws as Thailand

So what is the difference.........................................Law Enforcement

How can they possibly apply a law onto the public that they flout themselves. I have seen and photographed many Police on motorcycles without helmets. Unless the Police in Thailand obey the law    ( which they never do, as they see themselves above it or that it is a perk of the job) then Thailand will always be a lawless dangerous wildwest country to fear. No one is safe here. Just stay in your condo or house and dont go out or drive or go to an  outing or holiday and you should be 50% safe.

here is a funny exorcise that we can all take part (not me)

with no helmet stand on a stool and get someone to tie your hands behind your back and then push you over - that is what a helmet is designed to protect you against

Now with a helmet on - get on a motorbike and drive straight into a wall at 40kph 

please come back and report what happened

waiting

7 hours ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Nice to see so many positive posts on an issue where the RTP hope to save lives. ?‍♂️?

Totally agree.  Many posters belong to the impound and crush 'Em brigade.  When something is announced they complain yet again and it hasn't even started yet. Whether it's effective or not remains to be seen. 

Perhaps have a law that if you are caught whining three times in a row your pc/phone is impounded? 

Won't stop traffic accidents but may lower the suicide rate of people who have had enough of the seemingly constant whining..

:smile:

6 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Why do Thais start to turn then the indicator light comes on?

why are they not properly taught in DR Ed?

one uses the turn  signal 50-200 feet ahead of the behavior...it shows planning of an action....

thais think only about themselves rather than being a part of a functioning system 

My wife is Thai and indicates correctly. 

Nice generalised Thai bash though. 

4/10....wuth a bit if effort you can do much better. 

3 hours ago, Sadanava said:

The proposed regulations are implemented divisional. In this case only by the Metropolitan Police Division, Bangkok 

Below the Divisions:

The Thai police are subdivided into numerable regions and services, each enjoying their own powers.

* Royal Thai Police Headquarters - Bangkok
Director-General of Police
* Border Patrol Police Division 40,000 paramilitary force
BPP General Staff Division
BPP Tactical Training Division
BPP Support Division
BPP Nawut Sondetya Hospital
BPP Village Scout Center
BPP Counter-Insurgency Training Center
BPP Districts 1 thru 4
Police Aerial Reinforcement Unit (PARU)
+ Airborne Training
+ Naresuan 261 Counter-Terrorism Unit (formerly the 4th Company PARU)
+ Sea Air Rescue Unit
* Bangkok Metropolitan Police
* Central Investigation Bureau - national coordinating headquarters which assist provincial and metropolitan components in preventing and suppressing criminal activity and in minimizing threats to national security.
Crime Suppression Division, Responsible for investigating and enforcing Thai criminal laws
+ Emergency Unit(s) - a mobile unit used to suppress riots and public disorders, combat sabotage, counterfeiting, fraud, illegal gambling, narcotics trafficking, secret societies, and organized crime.
Forestry Police Division
Highway Police Division
Marine Police Division
Railroad Police Division
Special Branch Division
Licenses Division - registers and licenses all of the following: firearms, explosives, vehicles, aircraft, boats, gambling establishments, and various other items and organizations.
Criminal Records Office
Scientific Crime Detection Laboratory
* Office of Immigration Bureau
* Narcotics Suppression Bureau
* Office Of Logistics
Aviation Division
* Office of Royal Court Security Police
Crown Prince's Royal Protective Unit
+ Crown Prince Royal Protective Unit 'Dechochai Knight 3'
* Provincial Police Division - divided into 9 regions covering the 75 Provinces of Thailand except metropolitan Bangkok and the border areas.
Region 1 Ayuthaya
Region 2 Chonburi
Region 3 Nakhon Ratchasima
Region 4 Khon Kaen
Region 5 Chiang Mai
Region 6 Phitsanulok
Region 7 Nakhon Pathom
Region 8 Surat Thani
Region 9 Songkhla
Chaiya Training
Special Operations Units
* 191 Special Branch Police
Arintharat 26 Special Operations Unit
* Training Division
* Tourist Police - Recently also recruiting foreign national volunteers living in Thailand.
Training
* Immigration Police Division
* Marine Police Division
* Metropolitan Police Division, Bangkok
* Narcotics Suppression Division
* Provincial Police Division

You must have an awesome stamp collection. 

1 hour ago, Sumarianson said:

How can they possibly apply a law onto the public that they flout themselves. I have seen and photographed many Police on motorcycles without helmets. Unless the Police in Thailand obey the law    ( which they never do, as they see themselves above it or that it is a perk of the job) then Thailand will always be a lawless dangerous wildwest country to fear. No one is safe here. Just stay in your condo or house and dont go out or drive or go to an  outing or holiday and you should be 50% safe.

Better still - leave and return to the safety and comfort of your nanny state

1 hour ago, smedly said:

here is a funny exorcise that we can all take part (not me)

with no helmet stand on a stool and get someone to tie your hands behind your back and then push you over - that is what a helmet is designed to protect you against

Now with a helmet on - get on a motorbike and drive straight into a wall at 40kph 

please come back and report what happened

waiting

Agree helmets may not be effective when hitting an immovable object at speed.

Try rubbing sand paper on your face - and then do the same with an angle grinder. Difference in speed and a different result. 

I wear a helmet because I choose to,  not because I have to. 

Edited by tryasimight

Helmets are a start, getting the motorbike drivers to drive responsibly is another.  10 years of driving in Bangkok and they are only getting more aggressive, more risky, and they cause a lot of accidents.  I saw a food panda driver the other day drive straight across Sukhumvit on Asoke, while the traffic was moving on Sukhumvit.  Cars slamming on breaks, swerving, and the motorbike guy just did some zip zagging and went on.  The cops should go after these people and or change the rules that if you hit one by accident, it's not your fault in all circumstances...sometimes its genuinely the motorbike guys fault.  They just do whatever is convenient for them at the expense of others, so selfish...

16 hours ago, gr8fldanielle said:

I would like too see some statistics as to percentages of deaths per vehicle class, who was wrong and if motorcycles were involved, how many were not wearing helmets and that being the cause of death. Helmet or not, if a truck pulling a tandem trailer hauling gravel runs over a motorcyclist on the left side of the road, the motorcyclist is dead meat. I'm not convinced that Thailand's roads are the most dangerous in the world because of motorcyclists not wearing helmets.

It must have something to do with the way people drive, all vehicles. Where can I get some definitive stats?

You are correct in your assessment. The stats I've seen is out of the 20-25,000 death, 80% is due to motorbikes, so you figure out the other 20%?

The officials continue to spin their wheels, billions spent on trying but how does the government officials put the nail on the head when they themselves don't truly realize the problem since they themselves have no alternative education in driving. You can't teach what you don't know. It is all about critical thinking and one would assume it wouldn't be just the helmet? At checkpoint they pull a person with no helmet but let the guy wearing a helmet flying down a soi at 100KM/H,  like that alone will save the guy from killing himself. How does a helmet save you when you run a red light thinking the larger vehicle is suppose to watch for you? 

As I noted only in Bangkok do the officials have no control outside of their domain?  what about 99% of the country? 

13 hours ago, masuk said:

I think part of the problem is that they learn to drive on Motorbikes, and keep the bad habits when they're on 4 wheels.

For example - weaving from lane to lane.   Indicating a turn AFTER they've started turning.  Not looking to their right at intersections.  Thinking they can stop on a satang - but they're moving a tonne of metal!

BTW:  It's all very well proposing these marvellous new traffic ideas for BKK, but there are other cities here too!!

I think you have hit the nail on the head when you say that they “ lean to drive”, without wishing to be pedantic with the terminology I think they “learn to operate” the bike or car because when you learn to drive a motorcycle or car anywhere I have lived you learn to drive properly and safely and not to do the things you refer to above 

Of course the driving test here is a farce so until that changes there is no hope of any improvement.

13 hours ago, connda said:

Translated: We're shaking down the poorer and least influential members of society because it's easier to do than enforcing traffic laws that may net some influential puu-yais and cause an embarrassment to the heads of the police departments.

This nonsense is all about harvesting the lowest fruit on the tree and then publicizing that the police are actually doing something significant.  They are not addressing the issue of aggressive car and truck drivers who put motorcyclists in danger - the people actually killing the many of the motorcyclists. 

You're so right about that.

My 20 year old son, who drives everyday to school, 20 come and 20 go, got nicked 2 times.

1st time by a pick-up and yesterday, naturally, by a %$#@! passenger van BKK-Rayong.

That van swerved suddenly to the left and stopped and hit the front wheel of his motorcycle.

Game home with lacerations etc, he is insured so the hospital billed the insurer.

The pick-up and van drivers? Speeding away what is normal here.

He is a carefull driver, not speeding and keeping to the left side of the road by max 80 km/hr.

So it is not always the motorcycle driver who is at fault.:annoyed:

13 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

OK guys, make a note of that date, helmets on.

On the 26th back to normal...... helmets off.

:shock1:

They apparently tired this way back in 2014 straight after the coup, Junta's first new step in the right direction they said, someone has forgotten some of us has memories, No riding on footpaths and the driver must have a helmet or face fines and loss of licence, So what's new I say - Absolutely nothing just beat a dead horse again, Idiots

4 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Try rubbing sand paper on your face - and then do the same with an angle grinder. Difference in speed and a different result. 

I've been riding motorbikes all my life both for pleasure and work and I currently own (in Thailand) what would be clased as a "Superbike" which can do almost 190mph.

I also wear a helmet by choice

The point of my posts on this thread is two fold, first to clarify exactly what a helmet is designed to do for those that have no clue and second to highlight the likely impact on road safety wearing a helmet will have in Thailand which IMO will be minimal - there are far more serious issues that need addressed here to improve road safety and wearing a helmet is well down the list.

I would never advise anyone to not wear a helmet even when riding a bicycle and the latter which as it happens is a fine example of the impact it would have in saving lives on Thai roads when we look at the last few high profile cases of cylists being killed on Thai roads  

4 hours ago, tryasimight said:

no kidding Sherlock lol

Based on comments here I realise that most TV readers lack understanding oin how motorcyclists are the major cause of accidents on roads in Thailand.

Imagine a net set up on sukhumvit to capture all motor cyclists early morning.  I suspect such a net would result in 60-80% reduction in traffic accidnets.

the same net used for taxi drivers then white vans would see similar results though with less accidents prevented.

21 hours ago, smedly said:

what I said is not incorrect, in fact you just repeated it, as far as helmets are concerned they will protect from a drop to the ground from seat height, however wearing a helmet in Thailand may not have a huge impact on road safety and fatalities because there are many other issues involved that need attention first, it would take a detailed study to determine this but from what I have seen here - many motorbike fatalities involve horrific impacts were a helmet would have made no contribution at all.

lets start with the basics... enforcing helmet laws is a good start

if caught pay a fine or just show up with a helmet at the police station.drive off back to normal.now they will have to carry a helmet on the bike for show.they will still want to stop the farang over a license or not and get the tea money in.maybe not in bkk but other parts of thailand for sure

More Lip Service.... 

Do you really think the Police are going to chase down motorcyclists without a helmet who by their Air-Con boxes ?

Do you really think the Police are going to step out of their Air-Con boxes and confiscate the bike of someone without a helmet ? Where will they park all these confiscated bikes ?

The only time Laws are enforced in Thailand are the temporary periods in which a supervisor has instructed them to 'clamp down' and set up a 'road block'... When there is a 'Helmet Road Block' people can drive through as drunk as they like !!!!...  

The apathetic attitudes toward enforcement is the real issue here and these announcements like the hundreds of announcements beforehand will not change a thing because it simply takes too much effort to enforce these laws. 

It is almost as if those who make these announcements believe that people will listen to them and start obeying the law based only on an announcement - they completely miss the point that the masses simply don't care and have learned a long time ago that the enforcement behind such announcements is rarely forthcoming.