New point system aims to weed out bad drivers

webfact

17 minutes ago, tandor said:

..imagine what it would be like here with Zero Tolerance..oh my Buddha...empty streets.

No....what it would be like is Civil War because it's the fastest way to get exactly what the Elite don't want.....the 'people' wound up and ready to fight !

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

No....what it would be like is Civil War because it's the fastest way to get exactly what the Elite don't want.....the 'people' wound up and ready to fight !

Civil unrest would definitely rear its ugly head after effects of penalty started to trickle down and harming a Thai's living. 

4 hours ago, r136dg said:

Again; Teach the cops how to drive safely & put them on the roads actively patrolling, ticket people for careless driving. Impound their vehicle for the second offense. Make it hurt (monetarily). Than some thought will go into passing on a blind curve with a solid yellow line. Heavy fines & jail time for running around like a maniac with no license. 

"...ticket people for careless driving. Impound their vehicle for the second offense".

Does that happen in your country?

well, over the last 3 years with this splendid govt. many ew things were implemented.

But to be honest....there are not so many left which are working, if any.

So....wait and see. Time will tell.

3 weeks ago there was a computer breakdown at immigration.......nothing was working. The devil lies in the detail.....

If this happens with the new "point" system....???

More police on the streets. Special in the morning. Now i thinking at school time where police have to jam the traffic lights. Those police man/women not control traffic violation at all. Here i thinking at U-turn in light cross where it´s not aloud to make U-turn. Police do noting.

Most accident come from speeding and U-turn.:sorry::shock1::shock1:   

America had crooked police on the take, getting bribes and "fines" up until the 60s and 70s when they started trapping them and putting them in prison. Now, it is nearly impossible in the U.S. to bribe your way out of a ticket, in Contrast to Thailand where it is possible with over 90% of police.

Once again, 7 1/2 years here, on the road a lot, driving trips all the time to BKK, several trips to north Thailand, etc., never, ever seen a car ticketed for ANY traffic infraction.  Never.  My Thai partner routinely speeds well over the speed limit--has never received a ticket.  How's a point system going to work if you never write any tickets? 

2 hours ago, bsdthai said:

Australias got this. Works! It works because its a civilized country. Thailand where corruption is endemic and the police and government officials are the major criminals at best police will ask for an off the book fee with no points removed. Thais will think the police are great for not caring about peoples lives and the laws themselves. 

NEXT! 

The UK has got this as well, works wonders by all accounts. Of course there's the minority that are hell-bent on circumventing the law and they make headlines but as stated, they are a minority.

Agreed that the corruption of the average Thai cop has defeated the basic ways and means of dispensing justice for moving traffic violations. These basic checks depend on the honest cop neither soliciting nor accepting a bribe... aint gonna happen. However, with Thailand's gradual roll-out of fully-automated, radar camera enforced speeding tickets-in-the-post and growing evidence of red-light camera tickets-in-the-post, maybe someone in the who truly believes that it doesn't have to be this way has worked out if you remove the bent or lazy cop from the mechanism, it may just work. This new Police Ticket Management project sounds like it is embracing technology and processes that do work in the real world.

There's already a linkage between unpaid tickets and being unable to pay/renew your annual tax. I reckon a fare amount of tickets issued at checkpoints are for lapsed tax stickers but maybe they've left that level of policing to the police. For now anyway.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Listen to this, few years ago i had an accident where a pickup hit

me broadside not giving right way, the driver, a typical farmer type

driving a wreck he called a car that wasn't even roadwearthy

condition, had No driver's licence, No insurance and his vehicle was

NOT even registered, cut a long story short, my insurance couldn't get

any money out of him, and the police? they wearn't phased at all that

the man had no business  driving on the road at all, and they just let him

go saying, Oh, he's a poor man, mai pen rai.....

Does your insurance company only pay you for repairs if the other driver has money?

And if so is that normal in the industry worldwide or just a local peculiarity?

At last a small step in the right direction if it ever gets off the ground or is implemented by the police in practice.

In the UK the smallest offence ie: speeding etc incurs 3 points, with dangerous driving 5 points.. going up!

they also stay on your licence for 3 years before being wiped off, and if 12 maximum is reached it's one year off the road not 90 days!

It needs to be harsher to get the Thais to improve or get off the road.

No licence/insurance should be an automatic one year ban!

Driving while banned is an automatic 2 year ban, going up by a year for each time they drive while banned!

As for roadside fines that should be abolished, any fine should be made with the appropriate paperwork at a police station or paid direct via transfer to a government office... no money should be paid over to an officer on the street.

Then I would start to believe they're getting serious.

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

At last a small step in the right direction if it ever gets off the ground or is implemented by the police in practice.

In the UK the smallest offence ie: speeding etc incurs 3 points, with dangerous driving 5 points.. going up!

they also stay on your licence for 3 years before being wiped off, and if 12 maximum is reached it's one year off the road not 90 days!

It needs to be harsher to get the Thais to improve or get off the road.

No licence/insurance should be an automatic one year ban!

Driving while banned is an automatic 2 year ban, going up by a year for each time they drive while banned!

As for roadside fines that should be abolished, any fine should be made with the appropriate paperwork at a police station or paid direct via transfer to a government office... no money should be paid over to an officer on the street.

Then I would start to believe they're getting serious.

5555 never gonna happen

Shot this morning on rd 22 between Sawang Daen Din and Nong Han ;

would like to know

--how many points the driver of the tractor will lose ? driving in the opposite direction

--how many points the driver of the pickup will lose ? too many children in the back

39034429372_fe2df7a82c_b.jpg

37 minutes ago, blubb said:

Hold on than we have something we already found in Aussi-Land, U.S. or EU  ... wasn't that a reason to leave the country?

No. Personally I didn't leave my homeland because there was good law enforcement and low death rates on my nations highways.

By the same token, i didn't come to Thailand to increasingly dodge a bullet in and around this nations highways either.

37 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Does your insurance company only pay you for repairs if the other driver has money?

And if so is that normal in the industry worldwide or just a local peculiarity?

No. He's probably whining about something mythical called his No Claims Bonus.

Twenty-five to thirty tears ago, having any sort of car insurance in Thailand was mythical too.

14 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Shot this morning on rd 22 between Sawang Daen Din and Nong Han ;

would like to know

--how many points the driver of the tractor will lose ? driving in the opposite direction

--how many points the driver of the pickup will lose ? too many children in the back

39034429372_fe2df7a82c_b.jpg

Someone must explain to the Thai's that you don't win anything if you get the most points

25 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

How can this work. I drive a Vigo registered in my GFs name, who does not have a licence. Does she have to shop me if a ticket comes through?  And what about hired cars, who get the points deducted? 

Yes, even in Australia your G/F would have to declare who the driver was at the time of the infringement and it is the same for hire car companies they must supply all the relevant information about the driver