New point system aims to weed out bad drivers

webfact

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Shot this morning on rd 22 between Sawang Daen Din and Nong Han ;

would like to know

--how many points the driver of the tractor will lose ? driving in the opposite direction

--how many points the driver of the pickup will lose ? too many children in the back

39034429372_fe2df7a82c_b.jpg

Not to mention the 6-wheel 'bus' with standing room only, 3 boy scouts sitting on the back step an another 4 hanging off the ladder and railings.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, newnative said:

Once again, 7 1/2 years here, on the road a lot, driving trips all the time to BKK, several trips to north Thailand, etc., never, ever seen a car ticketed for ANY traffic infraction.  Never.  My Thai partner routinely speeds well over the speed limit--has never received a ticket.  How's a point system going to work if you never write any tickets? 

I've had a ticket in the post for speeding and also a ticket on my windscreen for parking in the wrong direction.  So, yes, it does happen but should happen more.

So, how do you give points to those who don't have a license ? Furthermore, with the flippant attitude of your average Thai to laws, those that do have licenses and get too many points will carry on driving regardless. I'm not knocking the points system but I'm at a loss as to how they'll ever enforce it.

Wont happen as long as you got these cowboys called police in action here Either they need there  eyesight checked or they dont care because i see drivers breaking the law right in front of them and nothing happens Hang on they give bad drivers roses  sorry:sorry:

But, if they lose their license and are stopped, they will pay a 400 THB fine and the ticket will be a receipt that will allow them to drive unimpeded if stopped at another road-block during the day. Driving without a license means nothing in the Land of Speed. 
The point system is a step in the right direction, but only if they start tossing those driving without licenses in jail and impounding their vehicles.

Edited by connda

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Reasonably new Vigo from Budget in Udon had cruise control.

Brand new Accord from Avis at Suvarnabhumi had cruise control.

I bought 2 vehicles in 2006, prior to that I never saw one. I guess the times are changing.

You ever use your cruise control?

Road safety is obviously flavour of the month.

Every day almost some kabob comes up with a new "solution".

The method appears to be to Google around until you find some traffic law that Thailand doesn't have. Hardly a difficult task.

As ever it is done with scant thought to the practicalities of implementation.

Remember the zig zag in Bangkok???

All this dies is yet again how utterly out of touch the authorities  are

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Not to mention the 6-wheel 'bus' with standing room only, 3 boy scouts sitting on the back step an another 4 hanging off the ladder and railings.

...And the kids are blocking the brake lights.

See it every day though.

Basic, human instinct/will to survive would keep most folks from blocking brake lights with their bodies, but you see it every day.

On 12/15/2017 at 7:18 AM, Happy enough said:

ahh, bloody speed cameras and now points on the licence. came here to get away from that shit ; )

With speed cameras the fine is sent to the registered owner with no provision unlike in Australia for you to nominate the driver who then receives the fine and loses the points

They probably haven’t considered that issue.

16 hours ago, aussie11950 said:

Maybe they should look at a similar system overseas, like Australia amongst others.

But I feel it will fail due to maintenance, system input and connection problems.

...only if they let TRUE run the network.

Edited by NanLaew

15 hours ago, HHTel said:

I agree.  As I've already said, there's been a points system in Thailand since 2002.  It's not worked thus far so why should it work when tried again.

In 2002 until maybe the past 24-months, the points system was ENTIRELY dependent on the roadside BiB doing his job properly in lieu of soliciting and/or extorting a bribe.

The growing network of speed/red-light linked camera's and the "ticket in the mail" will handily bypass that. The next weak link is the guy at the Land Transport office enforcing the fine payment(s) when Mr Leadfoot comes in to pay his road tax. Since that's in a computer database, it's hard to see how the clerk can milk that. Since most fines may only total 1000 baht (unless he/she is a guaranteed 12-pointer), then there's no big money for the dodgy clerk to try and divert into his pocket.

I am not sure if it's the coming cool weather but I feel overwhelmingly positive about Thailand introducing a points-based penalty system. Welcome to the REAL world.

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

With speed cameras the fine is sent to the registered owner with no provision unlike in Australia for you to nominate the driver who then receives the fine and loses the points

I don't see where not having the ability to nominate the driver is any great shakes in LOS.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

...only if they let TRUE run the network.

As far as I can see, they have just looked at the Aussie system.

As there is zero chance of any system working without fundamental changes in how the law works and roads are designed I is just whistling in the wind

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

They'll probably dock the car owner for points, so in that case, if I speed then my wife will lose the license that she doesn't have, considering she doesn't drive.  :biggrin:

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

As far as I can see, they have just looked at the Aussie system.

As there is zero chance of any system working without fundamental changes in how the law works and roads are designed I is just whistling in the wind

When I worked in Australia, traffic tickets were handed out by cops in patrol cars and at radar check points. That was ages ago.

How do they hand out speeding and traffic light tickets these days?

31 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

When I worked in Australia, traffic tickets were handed out by cops in patrol cars and at radar check points. That was ages ago.

How do they hand out speeding and traffic light tickets these days?

I haven't lived in Oz for many years too...they have wsys had a points countdown system that worked on licences that are issued by individual states. The use of radar and similar speed checks became increasingly familiar (very big increase indeed) at the turn of the century with tickets issued potally