275 members have voted

1. 1. Final Round for POTY, 2017

• Transam
    • Colinneil
    • Baboon
    • Darksidedog
    • JAG

This poll is closed to new votes

I have removed a few posts, and will clarify a few issues.   First evensteven is currently banned.   I am not going to get into a discussion of anything related to any particular member but just to give you a general guideline of how these things work, a lot of posts simply get removed for a variety of reason and no action is taken.   They may break the rules, but don't rise to the level of needing a formal warning.

Members who get enough warnings (especially in a relatively short period of time) will face a ban.   A ban may be temporary or permanent.   A suspension allows for accessing the site, but not posting, a ban prevents accessing the site.   If someone is on suspension and engages in further rule breaking, such as misusing the report button or abusive emails to mods or support, it will be changed to a ban.    Duplicate accounts can result in a ban of both accounts, this is particularly true if a member is suspended and creates a new account.

Over the course of time, some members who have been banned have asked to have their account reinstated and agree to not engage in the behavior that resulted in the ban.   It is discussed and they may or may not be allowed back in.  

Dave2 is in the RIP group.  The RIP group is effectively a banned group and those who have access to the password would not be able to gain access to the site.  

Should there have been a 2nd chance for those who voted for dave2?   Perhaps, but it was not suggested at the time.    Although it would have been a rather daunting task given the large number of votes.  In the case of the final round contestant, the suggestion and even the wording for the PM came from a member.  

The POTY is by-and-large for the members.   The Mods and Admin do not generally look forward to dealing with the banter, which sometimes turns nasty and results in contestants being suspended or banned.   Other than setting out general guidelines, dealing with reports and trying to keep it reasonable, that's the extent of our input.

The loss of dave2 is a great loss for the forum and he is deserving of a special place in the accolades for his contributions to the forum.   Running a deceased person is difficult, especially given the banter.   It would be a nightmare to moderate remarks about a contestant and that person is not here to defend themselves.

Members have been given a fair amount of leeway on the thread with comments about moderation, which are not generally allowed.   If you have questions, the method to deal with issues related to moderation is to PM the moderator, not discuss it in the open forum.  

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Scott for your clarifying post.  I think we can all see the problems created when Dave2 was allowed to "stand" as a semi-final candidate but not as a finalist.  Giving Dave2 a "Honorary POTY" was a good solution until, however, the mods found a way to consider the revotes for Craig's supporters in the Final Round.

I know we're not suppose to comment on moderation, but as you said you're giving us some leeway.  So, could I suggest that Dave2 be declared the Winner of the 2017 POTY and this current thread is to determine the No. 2 position?  That way, Transam would end up in his customary No. 2 finish and would be able to run again next year in a contest that (hopefully) isn't as fraught with problems.  Maybe, finally, at last, he'd win a POTY fair and square with no asterisk or shadow of a dead man over him.  (Besides, what would a POTY contest be without Transam as a contestant?)

As for Evenstevens --thank you for being so forthright about his current status.  Perhaps I should actually make the journey out to MaeRim and talk with him.  I've not met him, but people who know him say he's an OK guy.   I'm having serious doubts about nominating someone who can't keep it together for long enough to last through the POTY contest.  It's all fun-and-games (mostly) and if you can't manage to walk the thin line between humor, insult and getting yourself banned then you shouldn't be in the running for POTY.

7 hours ago, NancyL said:

Thank you Scott for your clarifying post.  I think we can all see the problems created when Dave2 was allowed to "stand" as a semi-final candidate but not as a finalist.  Giving Dave2 a "Honorary POTY" was a good solution until, however, the mods found a way to consider the revotes for Craig's supporters in the Final Round.

I know we're not suppose to comment on moderation, but as you said you're giving us some leeway.  So, could I suggest that Dave2 be declared the Winner of the 2017 POTY and this current thread is to determine the No. 2 position?  That way, Transam would end up in his customary No. 2 finish and would be able to run again next year in a contest that (hopefully) isn't as fraught with problems.  Maybe, finally, at last, he'd win a POTY fair and square with no asterisk or shadow of a dead man over him.  (Besides, what would a POTY contest be without Transam as a contestant?)

As for Evenstevens --thank you for being so forthright about his current status.  Perhaps I should actually make the journey out to MaeRim and talk with him.  I've not met him, but people who know him say he's an OK guy.   I'm having serious doubts about nominating someone who can't keep it together for long enough to last through the POTY contest.  It's all fun-and-games (mostly) and if you can't manage to walk the thin line between humor, insult and getting yourself banned then you shouldn't be in the running for POTY.

Nothing would make you happier than to subvert another POTY away from TA.  Dave 2 is ineligible to win a POTY, I see you all believe he was a legend, perhaps he was. I don't recall him doing well in the POTY's while he was living.

But this constant fight to have him named winner is ruining the charitable act that was first intended. Scott has just made an an excellent explanation of the situation, why must you stir the pot?

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

why must you stir the pot?

Ladies like to stir pots. that's why it is advisable to keep them barefoot, pregnant and cooking in the kitchen.

signed:

El Machissimo

(out of office enjoying Christmas holidays)

5 minutes ago, Naam said:

Ladies like to stir pots. that's why it is advisable to keep them barefoot, pregnant and cooking in the kitchen.

Thailand's a little confusing there. 

Back home, it's barefoot in the winter and pregnant in the summer.  Is there a formula that works where there's no winter?  Because barefoot doesn't seem to slow them down much in the tropics like it does where the temperature is 40 below..

Edited by impulse

Hmmmmm, I've been pretty quiet in this years POTY....For sure I am a bit fed up with all the deviation for our end of year fun over technicalities...
Can we put that stuff to bed and move on...thumbs.gif.5a53e116d335b2f8bbf5f47fb4add31c.gif

Yes, what’s done is done !!

I suggest when the dust settles ( mid Jan ) we should have a thread concentrating on how future POTY’s could be made better.

Just now, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, what’s done is done !!

I suggest when the dust settles ( mid Jan ) we should have a thread concentrating on how future POTY’s could be made better.

I have already set up rules in my head for next year which are near fool proof, l tested it on myself...5a3b17d02b285_laughalot.gif.f0ac877268a93d230899020d86a9da1d.gif

If, if, if I actually manage to get the tiara this year I could run the thing next year...:whistling:

I have already set up rules in my head for next year which are near fool proof, l tested it on myself...5a3b17d02b285_laughalot.gif.f0ac877268a93d230899020d86a9da1d.gif
If, if, if I actually manage to get the tiara this year I could run the thing next year...:whistling:

Have you given wearing the tiara some thought ??

I mean in general people who wear tiaras have hair !!

May I suggest Velcro [emoji51]

4 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

To be honest as a newcomer witnessing this POTY for the first time it's really not difficult to see why there is a ridiculously low vote turnout and general lack of interest. 

Don't keep us in suspense, you understand why, so share the reasons.

5 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

To be honest as a newcomer witnessing this POTY for the first time it's really not difficult to see why there is a ridiculously low vote turnout and general lack of interest. 

thanks for your support Sir!

4 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Have you given wearing the tiara some thought ??

I mean in general people who wear tiaras have hair !!

May I suggest Velcro emoji51.png

Noooo, Mrs.Trans is waiting in anticipation regarding wearing it, there's been a bit of stamping of feet here regarding me always getting pipped at the post for "various" reasons every year....sad-face.gif.a056aa11936748979c74c480c40a303d.gif

The smile is false.....:sad:

15697503_1214662581953423_5899418634497744185_n.jpg.dc88844b44b458396c3ab532e476cb00.jpg

3 minutes ago, geronimo said:

thanks for your support Sir!

I think I've supported it pretty well considering I'm a newbie and tried to contribute where possible. If every member had shown half as much interest the threads would be hundreds of pages long and the vote counts in the 1000's. So obviously it's not reaching out to the general memebership. 

The question is why? I think there has been a lot of in fighting, a lot of discussions about individuals from the past and with the greatest respect to them, it means nothing to many, a lot of "in jokes" relating to historic events that for anyone looking in would mean nothing, and generally ended up as a chat thread for a few. Anyone looking in wouldnt have a clue what most of the discussions were about let alone the private internal battles going on. 

All in in all a bit of a turn off. 

Nothing personal against anyone, just my personal opinions.

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I think I've supported it pretty well considering I'm a newbie and tried to contribute where possible. If every member had shown half as much interest the threads would be hundreds of pages long and the vote counts in the 1000's. So obviously it's not reaching out to the general memebership. 

The question is why? I think there has been a lot of in fighting, a lot of discussions about individuals from the past and with the greatest respect to them, it means nothing to many, a lot of "in jokes" relating to historic events that for anyone looking in would mean nothing, and generally ended up as a chat thread for a few. Anyone looking in wouldnt have a clue what most of the discussions were about let alone the private internal battles going on. 

But you're still going to vote for Transam, right?

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

As most folk here know I am not a yes man, for sure argue at times, but that doesn't mean for one minute that l have some sort of grudge with folk. Only liars have a real problem with me. Plus we were all newbies once finding our way...:stoner:

1 minute ago, vogie said:

My vote was cast many days ago. 

I wish him well in his upcoming year helping raise money for underprivileged children and charity/ voluntary work he will tirelessly be carrying out. 

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

Hopefully he will vote for me.:cheesy:

I still got plenty of hair, still got all my bits( ok so some dont work).

I am still in the running so to speak, and just sit here laughing.:cheesy:

Edited by colinneil

8 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Good post.

There is, however, another dimension to the POTY, as it serves as a platform for a dying form of humour, something that a few of us enjoy immensely.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

As most folk here know I am not a yes man, for sure argue at times, but that doesn't mean for one minute that l have some sort of grudge with folk. Only liars have a real problem with me. Plus we were all newbies once finding our way...:stoner:

I wasn't suggesting for one moment that you bear any grudges, you don't come across as that kind of guy. 

1 minute ago, Kadilo said:

My vote was cast many days ago. 

I wish him well in his upcoming year helping raise money for underprivileged children and charity/ voluntary work he will tirelessly be carrying out. 

At least you're getting into the spirit of the things, well done.

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Hopefully he will vote for me.:cheesy:

I still got plenty of hair, still got all my bits( ok so some dont work).

I will not run away from this,just sit here laughing.:cheesy:

Thats why I'm voting for trans, we could be twins.

download (9).jpg

1 minute ago, vogie said:

At least you're getting into the spirit of the things, well done.

When it kicked off I honestly thought it was just a bit of harmless fun with loads of banter and good humour but after a few days seemed to lose its way and became a whole lot more serious. That's when things seemed to turn a bit sour for a variety of reasons, obviously many which went straight over my head and probably many you others looking in. 

If the first few days were reciprocated throughout I think it has a lot of appeal. 

Utopia eh lol 

Just now, Kadilo said:

When it kicked off I honestly thought it was just a bit of harmless fun with loads of banter and good humour but after a few days seemed to lose its way and became a whole lot more serious. That's when things seemed to turn a bit sour for a variety of reasons, obviously many which went straight over my head and probably many you others looking in. 

If the first few days were reciprocated throughout I think it has a lot of appeal. 

Utopia eh lol 

Give that man a dot!!!!