possible to convert 30 day extension into o visa

Hi, Does anyone know whether it is possible to convert an extended 30 day stay into a non immigrant o visa - I meet the age requirement for the visa and plan on converting the o visa into a retirement visa...  Otherwise, any info. on whether it is possible to get a non immigrant o visa in Vientiane? Thanks!

Thanks for your quick reply! Just to be clear, you are saying that I can apply for a non-immigrant o visa, based upon retirement, from a 30 day visa exempt extension. From there, I have to be outside of 15 days to apply for the non-immigrant o visa...

You mentioned that they are asking for proof of retirement for the non-immigrant o visa... do you know exactly what this 'proof' is?? Thanks for your help!! Ceiba

56 minutes ago, ceiba said:

Thanks for your quick reply! Just to be clear, you are saying that I can apply for a non-immigrant o visa, based upon retirement, from a 30 day visa exempt extension. From there, I have to be outside of 15 days to apply for the non-immigrant o visa...

No. You need at least 15 days remaining of your 30 day extension when you apply for the non-immigrant visa at immigration inside Thailand.

You need 15 days left because that’s how long they want to process the application. About two weeks after applying for the visa you return to immigration to have the visa stamped in your passport and receive a new 90 day permit to stay. Towards the end of that 90 day stay you return to immigration to apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on  retirement. At no time do you need to leave the country.

56 minutes ago, ceiba said:

You mentioned that they are asking for proof of retirement for the non-immigrant o visa... do you know exactly what this 'proof' is?? Thanks for your help!! Ceiba

I’m not sure. Someone else might be able to help with details. If you are not actually retired it might be easier to get the visa in country rather than in Laos.

If you don’t have 15 days of your current extension left you could do a border hop and get a new 30 day visa exempt entry.

Edited by elviajero

First, you will need financial proof:

• If in Thailand, this can be
    • a letter from your embassy stating that you have 65,000+ baht average monthly income; or
    • 800,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand, together with the transfer details that prove the money came from abroad; or
    • a combination of income and money in bank coming to 800,000 baht annualized
  • If applying outside Thailand, I suggest you do it in Savannakhet. They will issue you with a single entry Non O (50+) with the income letter and/or money in the bank (and I believe the money in the bank can be in an overseas account)). If you want to apply in Vientiane, it is best to use the income method, which I think obviates the need for proof of retirement. If applying there based on money in the bank, you need to also be able to show some income from something like a pension (they worry about illegal working in Thailand).

If applying via a process of conversion without leaving Thailand, the details will vary a bit depending on your local immigration office. Some may make it difficult. At a minimum, you must have 15 days left on your current permission to stay, but some offices may insist on at least 21 days left. If you indicate where you are living in Thailand, someone can probably give you guidance on how the conversion works at your local immigration office.

One way or another (whether through conversion or visa from a consulate outside Thailand) you will have a 90-day entry. Towards the end of those 90 days, you apply for a one-year extension of your permission to stay (If applying for the extension with money in the bank, this money must be in an account inThailand, and must have been there for 60 days.). If you want to leave Thailand (either during the initial 90 days, or during the one-year extension, you must get a re-entry permit to keep your permission to stay intact when you return to Thailand.

On 12/19/2017 at 3:03 AM, BritTim said:

First, you will need financial proof:

• If in Thailand, this can be
    • a letter from your embassy stating that you have 65,000+ baht average monthly income; or
    • 800,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand, together with the transfer details that prove the money came from abroad; or
    • a combination of income and money in bank coming to 800,000 baht annualized
  • If applying outside Thailand, I suggest you do it in Savannakhet. They will issue you with a single entry Non O (50+) with the income letter and/or money in the bank (and I believe the money in the bank can be in an overseas account)). If you want to apply in Vientiane, it is best to use the income method, which I think obviates the need for proof of retirement. If applying there based on money in the bank, you need to also be able to show some income from something like a pension (they worry about illegal working in Thailand).

If applying via a process of conversion without leaving Thailand, the details will vary a bit depending on your local immigration office. Some may make it difficult. At a minimum, you must have 15 days left on your current permission to stay, but some offices may insist on at least 21 days left. If you indicate where you are living in Thailand, someone can probably give you guidance on how the conversion works at your local immigration office.

One way or another (whether through conversion or visa from a consulate outside Thailand) you will have a 90-day entry. Towards the end of those 90 days, you apply for a one-year extension of your permission to stay (If applying for the extension with money in the bank, this money must be in an account inThailand, and must have been there for 60 days.). If you want to leave Thailand (either during the initial 90 days, or during the one-year extension, you must get a re-entry permit to keep your permission to stay intact when you return to Thailand.

I am  a newby to this so I asked whether this conversion was possible at the Hua Hin office.  The reply "Not possible".  Maybe I didn't approach this in the right way so I would appreciate if anyone can offer guidance on using HH office.  They said I had to go to Bangkok or easier to do outside of the country. Q1.  Assuming the IO was correct where in Bangkok do I need to go. Q2 Aside from that already mentioned (Embassy Income letter) is there any additional paperwork I need - Passport copies, Notorised documents or any other little surprises?  Thanks in anticipation for your help.

39 minutes ago, uksmdh said:

I am  a newby to this so I asked whether this conversion was possible at the Hua Hin office.  The reply "Not possible".  Maybe I didn't approach this in the right way so I would appreciate if anyone can offer guidance on using HH office.  They said I had to go to Bangkok or easier to do outside of the country. Q1.  Assuming the IO was correct where in Bangkok do I need to go. Q2 Aside from that already mentioned (Embassy Income letter) is there any additional paperwork I need - Passport copies, Notorised documents or any other little surprises?  Thanks in anticipation for your help.

My understanding is that all immigration offices are now empowered to handle conversions, and Bangkok will refer you back to the Hua Hin office. You might consider calling immigration at 1178 (if you can get an answer) to see what they say about the situation.

2 hours ago, uksmdh said:

I am  a newby to this so I asked whether this conversion was possible at the Hua Hin office.  The reply "Not possible". 

Were you told this at the front-desk, or did you manage to get to the desk that handles conversions to a Non-O?  The official list of required documents to convert your tourist-type entry to a Non-O entry is shown here:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/994756-extension-of-stay-based-on-marriage/?tab=comments#comment-12132060

You might wish to print that out and bring it with you to the HH office, to erase all confusion as to what you wish to do.

But be warned - I had everything required, and was denied-service at Jomtien for this service.  I had to choose between paying an agent many times the cost of the conversion (can guess where some of that money might go, so this could have involved me in criminal activity), or making a trip to a nearby consulate.  I went to a nearby consulate, instead.

Please let us know how it works out in HH, so that others in your area can be prepared.

9 hours ago, uksmdh said:

Thanks for the replies.  Jack T gave the link for a documentation list for Conversion from a TV or Visa Exempt to NON O based on Marriage. Is there a similar list for the same conversion based on Retirement.

A general list of requirements is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Much shorter than one based upon marriage.

• Like 1

Friend just went into PHUKET immigration last Thursday to change his visa exempt entry to a non o for reasons he is married,  ( tons of paperwork) they told him to come back in a month, ( he had already gotten the 60 day marriage extension) as his passport needs be sent to Bangkok an its the holidays.

5 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Friend just went into PHUKET immigration last Thursday to change his visa exempt entry to a non o for reasons he is married,  ( tons of paperwork) they told him to come back in a month, ( he had already gotten the 60 day marriage extension) as his passport needs be sent to Bangkok an its the holidays.

Fingers crossed that he doesn't get stopped for a military/BIB ID check during the next month, then. Or did Immigration give him some letter to show in such circumstances?

38 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

His paper work would be sent to immigration division 6 headquarters in Hat Yai for approval not to Bangkok.

They would not send his passport that would be given back to him.

as above, only paperwork sent. ( i wrote it wrong,my bad)  and yes they sent it to Bangkok (he was surprised when they said this as usually it goes to Hat Yai.) he was with his wife so no problem with communication.

Edited by phuketrichard

3 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

as above, only paperwork sent. ( i wrote it wrong,my bad)  and yes they sent it to Bangkok (he was surprised when they said this as usually it goes to Hat Yai.) he was with his wife so no problem with communication.

Perhaps an officer that did not really know where the paperwork was being sent or perhaps said Bangkok to avoid the why question if he said Hat Yai. It happens all the time. Only paper from the central region is sent to division 3 in Bangkok.

7 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

i seriously doubt the head guy at immigration does not know where paperwork is being sent

and avoid what question??

Why Hat Yai would be the question. Many people have the mindset that it would go to Bangkok so immigration tells them that.

It is standard procedure it would go to Hat Yai for approval.