Pattaya gives Thailand’s name another beating

webfact

EDITORIAL

Pattaya gives Thailand’s name another beating

By The Nation

With tourism so crucial, there are better ways to deal with obnoxious visitors than leaving them severely injured

Pattaya is world famous for its seaside beauty and other attractions, but it’s also notorious for other reasons, and not just the sex industry and the profusion of foreign crime syndicates. Further tainting its reputation are the local transportation providers ripping off Thais and foreign visitors alike – and worse.

Most recently, a group of songthaew drivers beat up a South Korean tourist, reportedly after an argument over the passenger seating arrangement. The tourist was left lying on the pavement waiting for an ambulance.

Bar brawls are not uncommon anywhere alcohol is served, but when the beating is inflicted by a songthaew driver whose livelihood depends on foreign tourists, one has to ask what is really going on. Of course there are always visitors who behave rudely, offending local people. We often see a lack of sensitivity towards Thai culture and mores. Violence is hardly the appropriate response, however.

Signs in English and other foreign languages have been erected, advisory campaigns mounted online, but it would be unrealistic to believe these might solve the problem. Rather, we need everyone to show sensitivity, even amid displays of insensitivity. People working in the hospitality industry – the country’s biggest income-earner – can lead the way. All Thais should follow. Because of Thailand’s reliance on tourism revenues, it is of the utmost importance that we uphold the country’s reputation overseas.

There was no excuse for those songthaew drivers to attack the Korean. It is their responsibility to keep their clients safe. If a passenger causes trouble, he can be evicted or refused service, but not driven somewhere and given a thrashing.

Most foreign visitors praise Thailand as the warm and friendly “land of smiles”, but the tourism industry clearly has a lot of cleaning-up to do. The practice of double-pricing, by which foreigners are charged substantially higher admission fees at places of interest than are Thais, draws frequent complaints. It’s an archaic practice that smacks of racism and it should not be allowed. 

The argument that the same policy applies in other countries doesn’t wash. Foreign students attending university in the United States, for example, end up paying more only because they must purchase health insurance and additional fees for student visas. Tuition fees might vary from state to state based on residency, but only because state taxes fund the universities.

The policy as applied in Thailand seems entirely based on the belief that all foreigners are wealthier than the average Thai and can easily pay more. This is often true – and often untrue. Thais need only ask themselves how they would feel if they encountered double-pricing abroad.

Pattaya’s evolution continues. It has had great success in tidying its beaches, and the monopolies on the rental of beach huts and chairs have been largely expunged. Next, the city needs to address the problems associated with public transportation. Quite apart from getting drivers to be more tolerant, there’s the issue of who controls the operations. Taxi drivers who take passengers from Bangkok to Pattaya know they can’t attempt to pick up a return fair without informing the local “mafia” that runs the operation there. All such queues – taxis, motorbike taxis and tuk-tuks – are run according to their own laws, not the laws of the land.

Tourists might feel a lot safer in Thailand – and millions more would go there – if such problems could be resolved.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30334341

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-20

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That´s almost all correct, and why more and more people, exept the chinese, are going to other places in Thailand. Myself, I wouldn´t set down my fot in Pattaya. It´s a nightmare of crime, violence and sexindustry together with far to much booze in combination with everything. Just a big black colored mess on the picture of Thailand.

Edited by Get Real

16 minutes ago, Get Real said:

That´s almost all correct, and why more and more people, exept the chinese, are going to other places in Thailand. Myself, I wouldn´t set down my fot in Pattaya. It´s a nightmare of crime, violence and sexindustry together with far to much booze in combination with everything. Just a big black colored mess on the picture of Thailand.

Pattaya tourism is like a little boy with a pack of bubble gum. One piece was good, so he crams the whole pack in his mouth at once.

Pattaya has FAR and AWAY outgrown itself, way too fast, given the snail's pace of the infrastructure, which is 100% due to corruption taking the money from where it should be going.

This editorial piece would have fallen of deaf ears even if it written

in Thai and Issan dialects and posted on every songthaew and taxi

In Pattaya, as Thais in general don't rally care what foreigners

thinks of them and that this is Thailand and they can do what they

like when it comes to dealing with outsiders....

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Bar brawls are not uncommon anywhere alcohol is served, but when the beating is inflicted by a songthaew driver whose livelihood depends on foreign tourists, one has to ask what is really going on. Of course there are always visitors who behave rudely, offending local people. We often see a lack of sensitivity towards Thai culture and mores. Violence is hardly the appropriate response, however.

Booze often does lead to fighting, but that is not what this editorial is about.

There sometimes is a lack of sensitivity towards Thai culture, but that is not what this editorial is about.

This is about the beating of a tourist for sitting "wrong". 

This event should lead to some soul-searching questions regarding the treatment of tourists, the use of violence, public transportation, conflict-resolution among Thais and visitors, etc. etc.etc.

However, it'll be forgotten quickly as the next dollar is eyed greedily.

Thailand/Pattaya should heed the story of the Golden Goose before it is too late.

7 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Thais in general don't rally care what foreigners

Correct. Also with the package tours and Ghengis Khan's hoards being the focus, who cares if one or 1,000 get the crap beaten out of them every once in a while. At least that seems to be the attitude.

Booze often does lead to fighting, but that is not what this editorial is about.

There sometimes is a lack of sensitivity towards Thai culture, but that is not what this editorial is about.

This is about the beating of a tourist for sitting "wrong". 

This event should lead to some soul-searching questions regarding the treatment of tourists, the use of violence, public transportation, conflict-resolution among Thais and visitors, etc. etc.etc.

However, it'll be forgotten quickly as the next dollar is eyed greedily.

Thailand/Pattaya should heed the story of the Golden Goose before it is too late.

It is too late.

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

53 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

But when they get in trouble in Korea or Japan then everyone should pity them.

"Pattaya is world famous for its seaside beauty and other attractions, ......."

The main attraction being the good choice of restaurants and shopping and the naughty nightlife, not necessarily in that order. Pattaya does not have world famous seaside beauty, as most people would agree.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

taxis, motorbike taxis and tuk-tuks – are run according to their own laws, not the laws of the land.

And whose fault is that?  Why Pattaya police who make a healthy profit from the transport mafia by turning a blind eye to illegal parking snarling up traffic and no-meter taximeters.

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

Apparently you haven't, whatever your 'fot' is!

Pattaya has it's problems, but remember the only good news is bad news.

It is hardly a nightmare of crime,  etc etc.  That is a crock!

It’s an archaic practice that smacks of racism and it should not be allowed. 

this practice and the general disdain that the majority of thais feel for us non-thai expats has other fallouts; not unlike reverse discrimination, many of us on the receiving end of this racism look down on the thais for practicing it

22 minutes ago, mikebell said:

And whose fault is that?  Why Pattaya police who make a healthy profit from the transport mafia by turning a blind eye to illegal parking snarling up traffic and no-meter taximeters.

Amen to that. There was no mention, nada, of any sort of responsible police action, like enforcing laws and such in this article. All the scams, rip offs only continue because of lack of police doing their jobs in exchange for monthly donations. Appealing to Thai sensitivity and understanding to somehow reduce the problem. As if...

The beaches are incrementally cleaner.

Now how about the water? Isn't that responsibility of government?

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

in Russian and Chinese dialects and posted on every songthaew and taxi

In Pattaya, as Russians and Chinese in general don't rally care what Thais

like when it comes to dealing with locals....

Just as valid argument

Edited by isaanbanhou

26 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

30 years living here,been to lots of places in Thailand,

but never been to Pattaya,never really appealed to me,

but what am I missing?

regards worgeordie

maybe missing this: 

"come to Pattaya and get beat up for not complying with a direct order from your songthaew  General"

personally, I prefer to be beaten up by Bangkok thugs, who at least are just smart enough to hide at their family's house after. :wink:

There are ,will and has been problems in Pattaya. I first came here in 1980 it was fantastic, not many tourists, The city doubled in population  when the US Navy stopped by for a few days R&R.

The street stalls  were great. you could sit all night at stalls or bars drinking, chatting  and just watching the world go by. The violent crime was here but not to the extent we see today. It usually involved the Thais (as the only  other alleged mob ( was Chinese and they looked after their own interests) there was the occasional europeon roid monkey popping into town for the readily available medical puff me up pills/shot) now there is such an influx of tourist , foreign mobs and general no goodniks hanging about  that i have stopped visiting pattaya and tend to stay out in the rural country side more, they still have their problems but to a lesser degree. my next move will be full time to lao . funny thing that a few years ago my thai wife got robbed by a farang !(not funny like ha ha )but you know what was implied.

25 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

30 years living here,been to lots of places in Thailand,

but never been to Pattaya,never really appealed to me,

but what am I missing?

regards worgeordie

Overweight massage girls screaming at you, Taxis and buses crawling past beeping at you, overpriced gogo bars, buses parked everywhere containing hordes of Chinese tourists who then proceed to follow a flag up Walking Street and stand outside the bars taking photos of a handful of farangs spending money. 

That was my experience last time I was there. 

Tourism is the country's biggest income earner? Sorry, wrong.

The industrial and service sectors are the main sectors in the Thai gross domestic product, with the former accounting for 39.2 percent of GDP. Thailand's agricultural sector produces 8.4 percent of GDP—lower than the trade and logistics and communication sectors, which account for 13.4 percent and 9.8 percent of GDP respectively. The construction and mining sector adds 4.3 percent to the country's gross domestic product. Other service sectors (including the financial, education, and hotel and restaurant sectors) account for 24.9 percent of the country's GDP

Nowhere near the biggest contributor.

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Overweight massage girls screaming at you, Taxis and buses crawling past beeping at you, overpriced gogo bars, buses parked everywhere containing hordes of Chinese tourists who then proceed to follow a flag up Walking Street and stand outside the bars taking photos of a handful of farangs spending money. 

That was my experience last time I was there. 

The "follow the flag" group is one of the most hilarious things that I see in Thailand. The Chinese tourists are always anxiously looking around, as if they are in a highly dangerous jungle. :stoner:

3 hours ago, jaywalker said:

Well written article, but many would beg to differ on the subject of "success in tidying up its beaches", especially in Pattaya.

You can add

Pattaya is world famous for its seaside beauty

I like many things about Pattaya, but the "seaside beauty" has never been part of that, being rather lacking in the "beauty" department.

For decades Pattaya has quietly been a cheap and cheerful place to hang out and have "fun", whatever one's definition of that is, even if just golf. It wasn't till the city authorities apparently went nuts and decided that Pattaya was going to be Thailand's "Monaco" catering to the world's wealthy and elites ( which was always an insane idea, and has zero chance of happening ) that all the trouble and strife has descended on Pattaya. There isn't even a good reason to try and make Pattaya the jewel of Thailand's tourist industry, as better alternatives exist down Hua Hin way. Just shows what unfettered greed is capable of.

While beating of baht bus passengers is by no means a new thing, the publicity is, and while I don't support assaulting customers I'm happy for any adverse publicity that impacts the greedies plans to destroy Pattaya and replace it with some horrible 5th rate tourist resort for rich people.

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

Maybe, but it's one of Thailand Tourism's shining stars, even if painted red.   Or maybe the golden goose metaphor would be more appropriate, because they can be strangled.