Trump's Christmas wish - 'We've got prosperity. Now we want peace'

webfact

Trump's Christmas wish - 'We've got prosperity. Now we want peace'

By Roberta Rampton

2017-12-24T223511Z_1_LYNXMPEDBN0K9_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump participates in NORAD (North American Aerospace Defense Command) Santa Tracker phone calls with children at Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida, U.S., December 24, 2017. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

PALM BEACH, Fla. (Reuters) - On Christmas Eve, U.S. President Donald Trump took calls from children, asking them what they wanted most from Santa, and revealing what was on his own wish list.

One boy wanted building blocks. Another wished for his grandma to get out of the hospital. And as for Trump - who has sent a series of combative tweets since arriving at his Florida vacation home - he said he wants "peace for the country."

"We've got prosperity - now we want peace," Trump told a child named Ryan, who called the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) to check on Santa's progress.

Every year on Christmas eve NORAD purports to track the flight of Santa and his reindeer-pulled sleigh, a tradition since 1955 when a department store misprinted a phone number, sending a flood of calls to a NORAD colonel, who played along.

Sitting in a gold chair beside first lady Melania Trump in an ornate, tapestried great room, the president enthusiastically chatted with youngsters and their parents. Reporters in the room could hear only the president's side of the conversation.

In his trademark brash style honed during a career in the New York real estate world, Trump predicted the kids would have the greatest Christmas ever.

"I'll make a prediction - Santa is going to treat you well. Really well. The best he's ever treated you," he told one child from Mississippi, throwing in an invitation to come to the Oval Office sometime.

Casper from Arlington, Virginia, was a child after Trump's own heart. "Building blocks! That's what I always liked too," the president exclaimed.

"I predict that Santa will bring you building blocks, so many you won't be able to use them all," he said.

As for Ryan, he told Trump he wanted his grandmother to come home from the hospital.

"That is great. That's better than asking for some toy or something," Trump said.

(Reporting by Roberta Rampton; Editing by Susan Thomas)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-25

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"We've got prosperity - now we want peace," Trump told a child named Ryan, who called the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) to check on Santa's progress.

To which Ryan stated, "Then resign!".

4 hours ago, webfact said:

"I predict that Santa will bring you building blocks, so many you won't be able to use them all," he said

It's funny to see how he uses the same level of English proficiency making promises to children as he does with adults.

So Trump is trying to tell us Americans we have prosperity?  Tell that to the millions of Americans who have no health insurance or cannot afford outrageous premiums to purchase health insurance.  Tell that to the millions of Americans who work in service jobs making the minimum wage which is nowhere near a living wage.  Tell that to the Seniors who in the last 3 years have had only a 2% rise in Social Security pensions while the cost of healthcare has increased more that 10%.

Donald -if you really want peace-  Stop antagonizing the World with bombastic statements of war readiness and intentions to go to war.  Stop increasing the already huge defense budget to unrealistic and unsustainable limits and deploying American troops. Stop telling Americans and the World you are making America great again when instead you are making the World fear for its safety.

Edited by Thaidream

"We've got prosperity. . . " Trump told a child named Ryan. Presumably he was using the Royal "we".

He should try telling that to the 15 million US children who live in poverty, or the 40-odd million Americans on the breadline who will need government food stamps for any kind of meal this Christmas.

3 hours ago, car720 said:

Peace on Earth begins with good will to ALL men.

Sounds good.  I guess I'm not a good enough person to embrace that for all men.  Trump cheated his way to power and riches, and has too many despicable character flaws to list here.  He's seriously harming the US, its environment and its people, including int'l relations.  I can't find a modicum of goodwill to pass on to him. 

If someone is setting fire to your house, while you and your family are asleep inside, are you going to feel goodwill toward him?

9 hours ago, welovethailand said:

He's only doing what all President (puppets) are put in for.

Close  to  the  truth  methinks ! Given  that  the deception  of  the Santa image being  a  symbol  of  Christmas is  so  widely accepted is  an indication  of political  naivety .

"  Santa"  is  the  product  of an old   C Cola promotion. As  legitimate  as   penguins in the   North  Pole  !   lmao !

1 hour ago, Trouble said:

Amazing how a rather light hearted story can bring forth so much venom from TV posters.  Lots of miserable people here even at Christmas. Are none of you happy with anything?

Sure, I'm happy with lots of things in my personal life but the man-child being president makes me very pessimistic regarding the long term outlook for not only the US but the entire world.

I sincerely hope he drops dead from a heart attach ASAP - that would be the best Christmas present this planet has gotten in a long time.

33 minutes ago, Becker said:

Sure, I'm happy with lots of things in my personal life but the man-child being president makes me very pessimistic regarding the long term outlook for not only the US but the entire world.

I sincerely hope he drops dead from a heart attach ASAP - that would be the best Christmas present this planet has gotten in a long time.

You should read up on the Pence governorship of Indiana.

6 hours ago, Trouble said:

Amazing how a rather light hearted story can bring forth so much venom from TV posters.  Lots of miserable people here even at Christmas. Are none of you happy with anything?

I know. Misery does breed company. Glad I'm not even close to misery. I'm not a huge fan but I read this as quite light hearted too and my blood pressure didn't go up a bit lol. 

On 12/25/2017 at 6:41 AM, webfact said:

We've got prosperity

The We've is at least him, Kushner and Bob Corker.  The pass through percentage loophole that he said would be eliminated in the new tax bill magically "passed through" unchanged and real estate companies were  magically added to those companies that were eligible.  Trumps business empire is not just one big company but a conglomerate of over 500 small companies many of which benefit from the loop hole and now they have added real estate companies which not only benefit him and Kushner but also Corker who changed his "no" vote to "yes" at the last minute.

So "We've got prosperity" is definitely true!

18 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Sounds good.  I guess I'm not a good enough person to embrace that for all men.  Trump cheated his way to power and riches, and has too many despicable character flaws to list here.  He's seriously harming the US, its environment and its people, including int'l relations.  I can't find a modicum of goodwill to pass on to him. 

If someone is setting fire to your house, while you and your family are asleep inside, are you going to feel goodwill toward him?

I was referring to men.:cheesy:

Trump speaks nonsense and he is incredibly mean spirited. He denigrates people because of their ethnic background; disability; gender; sexual preference and  skin color. The man is reprehensible and has no redeeming qualities. He can't talk to an average person without referencing himself- The man is mentally unstable . Normally, I live and let live but Trump is the type of person that doesn't understand peace. He wants constant chaos and drama but what Americans and the World want is the opposite.

9 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Really? The man can't even be kind to children without some dullards bashing him. Glad I'm not at your house(s) for Christmas. :coffee1:

As pertains to your last sentence....... on this matter we are in absolute and emphatic agreement!

:thumbsup: