Brits vs. Americans in Pattaya

bkk6060

The OP is right on. Had old UK codgers go out of their way (since 2007) to insult me and my country as soon as they heard my American accent. I have to believe it is hatred bred from the loss of Empire. Most of the UK was born and bred and taught to be rulers of an empire; and it is now all gone. They have to blame  someone, who better to blame than the ones that filled the vacuum they left. The UK didn't realize the world had changed, that their empire and influence was practically gone, until after the Iron Curtain fell, up till then their educational system still taught that the sun never set on the British Empire; now it is all gone and they are pissed because they essentially think it is the fault of the USA. 

America didn't kick the British out of all those nations they controlled with gunpowder and eight pounders, well not most of them anyway. Yet the UK citizen believes America was the cause of the failure of their empire.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP is right on. Had old UK codgers go out of their way (since 2007) to insult me and my country as soon as they heard my American accent. I have to believe it is hatred bred from the loss of Empire. Most of the UK was born and bred and taught to be rulers of an empire; and it is now all gone. They have to blame  someone, who better to blame than the ones that filled the vacuum they left. The UK didn't realize the world had changed, that their empire and influence was practically gone, until after the Iron Curtain fell, up till then their educational system still taught that the sun never set on the British Empire; now it is all gone and they are pissed because they essentially think it is the fault of the USA. 
America didn't kick the British out of all those nations they controlled with gunpowder and eight pounders, well not most of them anyway. Yet the UK citizen believes America was the cause of the failure of their empire.

Have you ever considered it could be you?

1 hour ago, hyku1147 said:

A  loudmouth  is a guy who has never had his  ass whooped. The trouble is that many run to the police  after it  happens.  Best  to swallow  one''s  pride and walk away. In the event that he follows and assaults you -  you can act in self defense.

There are laws now about animal cruelty (I assume that is what whooped refers to).

2 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Let's keep in mind that the USA is the #2 retirement destination for Brits after Australia, where they're known as Whinging Poms. Lot of jokes devoted to that topic, the classic being

"How do you know when a planeload of Poms has landed.....?"

"The engine stops but the whining noise goes on....."smile.gif

It seems to be little known but most definitely factual. Poms (originally POHM's) are Australians. POHM stands for Prisoner Of His Majesty. Check it out.

I think the OP will find that we Brits dislike loud, abrasive characters of all nationalities.

Well said,

Another reason why I avoided England’s back yard Spain for years.

Most people like to visit the novelty bright lights, noise, hustle & bustle of popular tourist locations however not all want to live it 365 days of the year.

Personally, give me the countryside any day...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 12/28/2017 at 8:21 PM, bkk6060 said:

But, the Brits here seem bitter, pissed off and sad.  Is there something in a Brits mind here that somehow thinks the US created their negativity and hate?

Are the Brits lives that bad here they need to attack others?  Is it Brexit or what possible jealousy or issue is all the hate about?  

OP, for authoritative answers you really should ask your questions at the friendly, welcoming British Cultural Center Of Pattaya:

dogsbollocks.jpg.3afd8c16ddddf2b44932c765fd36288a.jpg

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

Which history book did you read this in?  Am guessing you are a Brit pretending to be Yank as no Mercun even knows the word "codger".  Nice try old fart!

Edited by torrzent

Countries rise and fall.   History proves that with a simple examination.

Some may find this interesting..     England was the ruler at one time.    The USA at some point (maybe even already now?) will face the same challenges.

Look at the video if you want to see a documentary or ignore it.   Up to YOU!!

It has three parts for the brave..

Edited by watcharacters

Being Canadian I find both Brits and Americans a pain most of the time.

The Americans seem to think Canada needs them and would not survive with out  . Their superiority complex is unbearable. But hay they just want to help the Mexicans from the north right.

The Brits think we are from the colones and are below them.Just simple colony people who need to be taught the way of the world by the more experienced and worldly UK leaders. Must just be a chore talking to us.

On 12/28/2017 at 11:22 PM, AlexRich said:

You don't need to apologise for these characters ... but you do for Michael Buble! :guitar:

And Justin Bieber don't forget, other than that Canadians are fine, as are most other tribes, good and bad among the lot of us. and i believe like an earlier poster suggested this thread is click bait, and i got hooked!

I'm from northern Europe. Been living here for 6 Years. Haven't have any problems with You brits or you

Americans. The only  thing I know  generally speaking is that the Americans talk a lot lauder than other

other guys..sober or drunk you speak with a higher tone than other people.A good friend from San Fran

have noticed that himself. Now he's like the rest of us..:) Happy New Year..!

On 12/28/2017 at 10:19 PM, beachproperty said:

in general though the usual expat is a loser :shock1: Whether American or British,

So as an American expat you must fall into your own social grouping. Since we are both losers in your book I think you should reconsider how you judge people.

Maybe you just don't fit in with the people in that bar, try a Hooters or somewhere that shows American sport and enjoy the company of the rednecks.

Some Brit owned bars I would never even consider entering, likewise some US bars.

I suggest you work on your social skills a little and find a group of people you can get along with in a new venue.

Brexit and Trump are not ideal subjects to start a conversation.

:burp: Best of luck.

44 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

So as an American expat you must fall into your own social grouping. Since we are both losers in your book I think you should reconsider how you judge people.

Maybe you just don't fit in with the people in that bar, try a Hooters or somewhere that shows American sport and enjoy the company of the rednecks.

Some Brit owned bars I would never even consider entering, likewise some US bars.

I suggest you work on your social skills a little and find a group of people you can get along with in a new venue.

Brexit and Trump are not ideal subjects to start a conversation.

:burp: Best of luck.

Now you tell me! :stoner:

I am sorry to say you are likely correct.

It has nothing to do with Brexit.

I have lived and worked in your country and do not feel that way, I will often chat about where Americans are from if I know their area.

It is possibly envy that the USA has knocked them off their once lofty perch, harking back to a time prior to when they were even born, and a diet of your TV programs! And a recent dose of alcohol. You get a few more of them out here this time of year.

I think places like Pattaya or wherever there are many tourists and much drinking going on, that people seem to enjoy controversy. The booze, I imagine is gasoline on any fire. 

I live in the countryside. I have friends from USA, Canada,  Brits and we all get along quite well. Nationality does not seem to come into play. Every once in a while there is someone who enjoys bashing on politics but nobody really gets along with that type of person, do they? 

17 hours ago, chrisinth said:

I just posted this yesterday in another sub forum, but it pretty much applies to your experiences.

Sometimes we are all mates, it's just that senses of humour are a bit different at times........:thumbsup:

61497210f0bc824c23f585a6b378a6e0.jpg.34a635d6216d23fe8f62acd9105fdd9d.jpg

Apology for the thread drift also.

And that's what most Brits are all  about

When the going gets tough....Brits get going

And can be relied upon

As an American, sometimes I wonder why the Brits whinge; criticise; speak rudely about others but it is true- when the going gets tough- Brits will run towards chaos not from it. As a former soldier- I can count on them to be there when needed.  But please remember, I am not responsible for everything wrong with America or every American trait you don't like. I am a distinct individual.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:19 PM, beachproperty said:

I agree with the OP!....My neighbor is British and the very first words out of his mouth when he first met me was " I hear you are a man that's NOT to be trusted" ... And that was 10 years ago.....Why would I even want to associate with such an A----hole?

in general though the usual expat is a loser :shock1: Whether American or British, he usually is living on a pension and from paycheck to paycheck. That can be very stressful!

I am a an ex-pat living here in LOS - thoroughly enjoying life.  I resent the generalisation of ex-pats being losers.  Maybe some are - I do not consider myself to be a loser, nor would any of my friends - of all nationalities.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and this is a forum in which opinions can be voiced.  However, yours invites resentment,  I do not know where you live but you come across as being very arrogant and I do hope that I never have the misfortune to meet you

18 minutes ago, Nurseynutcase said:

I am a an ex-pat living here in LOS - thoroughly enjoying life.  I resent the generalisation of ex-pats being losers.  Maybe some are - I do not consider myself to be a loser, nor would any of my friends - of all nationalities.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and this is a forum in which opinions can be voiced.  However, yours invites resentment,  I do not know where you live but you come across as being very arrogant and I do hope that I never have the misfortune to meet you

Good for you.....you must NOT be living paycheck to paycheck. Over 14 years living here and out of all the expats I've met 95% are living from paycheck to paycheck. Not saying their bad people.....BUT a loser is a loser not matter how you paint him:passifier:

Edited by beachproperty

Looks like the old year is ending on a down note- I expect the New Year to start the same when it comes to banter like this.  So many prejudiced  and bigoted posters disliking people because of Nationality; Ethnic Background; Skin Color; Caste or Perceived Class; Sexual Preference etc etc. Sad and depressing.

Anybody ever hear of live and let live?