Apple slowering old devices, anyone of you experienced this?

waxpro

since about a month or so ago, noticed my device (iPhone 5s) becoming slow and slow,,

most instant media notifications: line, whatspp, Gmail are disabled and can check it only after open the application directly,

I was really wondered, untill watched in the news few days ago that apple slowering the old devices, in a move to urge / encourage users to throw their old devices and buy the newer one,

Anyone of you guys had the same experience, pls share your opinion, to make sure it's a fact, then to decide what to buy the next time.

It's very common for people to complain about the slowness of an iPhone following updating the OS. Sometimes this can be 'fixed' by doing a complete 'reset' of the phone (dumping everything and starting as a new user on the phone).

The 'apple slowing iPhones' story you've seen on the news is more similar to the Volkswagen EPA/MPG car computer cheat that allowed Volkswagen to 'force' lower emissions only during test conditions ...as it's likely apple is doing something similar to show consistently longer battery life over the life of the phone ...unlike my Acer laptop on battery. 

Though, it doesn't hurt apple if you notice your 1.7 yo iPhone feels slower and than before so you decide to buy the latest when it's released to have that feeling of fast response once again. And fast response it would have, when compared to that previous clock speed reduced iPhone.

I think it's called planned obsolescence.  Or is it pre-programmed obsolescence -- I forget.

1 hour ago, dpdp said:

People buying iphone are fool since the begining, why apple would stop ?

Sorry but you have showed that you like being <deleted>**ed, keep doing !

I have to wonder about the intelligence of someone who calls millions of people a fool based on a simple consumer choice !!!... 

Having used HTC, Samsung and Apple over the past 6 years or so the iPhone was IMO by far the better phone.

I'm by no means an Apple fanboy, I don't care who makes a product or how fashionable it is... I just want something that does the job properly without issue, without hassles, without hiccups in the most user friendly way possible... Apple seem to consistently meet these requirements. 

That said the 'slowing' issue was extremely annoying. Both my Wife and I noticed our iPhone 6 slowing over the past few months. It turns out that this was related to the battery whereby apples software 'clocked back' the phones CPU to maintain battery life. I haven't seen it reported, however, I suspect a simple battery swap may fix this. 

Be very careful doing a reset of the iPhone...many issues w an error code 3014 which does not allow the reset phone to connect to apple activation servers. That means you can’t reinstall iOS. Big issue and problem not only w older but the new iPhone 8, 10 etc. spending hours with apple icare to work this out! 

IMHO Apple is a foul and greedy company - they claim they only  "Want our Trust". All they really want is our money - but sadly their products are good (as Richard-Smith237 says above) and their Operating System is - for me - much superior to that of e.g. Samsung or Microsoft, so we - er, me - are stuck with them.

Sigh.

I did not install IOS 11 and I will not, but I feel my phone (ip 6) a bit slower than last update.

Battery BS !!! They just want to sell their new phones that are sitting on shelves. Why didn't they offer cheaper price battery replacement earlier before they were busted over slowing down the old phones ?  They have no right to do this to phones that are already sold to people. Battery is just an excuse to get away with this scandal. I can replace the battery with a new one but my phone is already slowed ?? 

I had A iPhone 3GS.It stopped upgrading the iOS.Then I couldn’t update the apps.

i went and purchased A Motorola to punish Apple for A few years before I get another iPhone.

I guess I showed them.They are going broke?Aren’t they?Sorry bad rumors again,lol.

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have to wonder about the intelligence of someone who calls millions of people a fool based on a simple consumer choice !!!... 

Having used HTC, Samsung and Apple over the past 6 years or so the iPhone was IMO by far the better phone.

I'm by no means an Apple fanboy, I don't care who makes a product or how fashionable it is... I just want something that does the job properly without issue, without hassles, without hiccups in the most user friendly way possible... Apple seem to consistently meet these requirements. 

That said the 'slowing' issue was extremely annoying. Both my Wife and I noticed our iPhone 6 slowing over the past few months. It turns out that this was related to the battery whereby apples software 'clocked back' the phones CPU to maintain battery life. I haven't seen it reported, however, I suspect a simple battery swap may fix this. 

I have no doubt that there are millions of idiots in this world. Could be billions.

On 12/29/2017 at 10:05 PM, robblok said:

This has been in the news apple is doing this on purpose it has something to do with battery and such. 

So they claim, although I would be sceptical over that.

The good news is that now they are  offering a substantially cheaper new battery replacement service for older models, and will make a software update, likely making the processor slowing a user controllable option.

The story I read said that Apple has admitted iPhone 6s have been slowed by updates and they offer a discounted battery upgrade to get it faster. It seems anything older has been orphaned. I previously read Apple plans to keep selling 6s and newer so they have a range of prices. I only know what I read.

On 12/30/2017 at 1:12 AM, RichCor said:

It's very common for people to complain about the slowness of an iPhone following updating the OS. Sometimes this can be 'fixed' by doing a complete 'reset' of the phone (dumping everything and starting as a new user on the phone).

The 'apple slowing iPhones' story you've seen on the news is more similar to the Volkswagen EPA/MPG car computer cheat that allowed Volkswagen to 'force' lower emissions only during test conditions ...as it's likely apple is doing something similar to show consistently longer battery life over the life of the phone ...unlike my Acer laptop on battery. 

Though, it doesn't hurt apple if you notice your 1.7 yo iPhone feels slower and than before so you decide to buy the latest when it's released to have that feeling of fast response once again. And fast response it would have, when compared to that previous clock speed reduced iPhone.

I think it's called planned obsolescence.  Or is it pre-programmed obsolescence -- I forget.

Well, if have to do this reset and dump everything away after every upgrade,, then what to make sense of using this device? delete everything and start as a new user,, i guess not the right option, at least for myself. maybe OK for others,  we are living in a transparent world and they should satisfy their users or they will get dumped away,,

On 12/30/2017 at 3:50 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Because of your inability to write basic English, this topic is now showing on top of google pages.

Congratulations!

Well, I don't care or your basic or upper ENGLISH,

As long as I can express my thoughts, tell my matters and get feedback with solutions,, that's good enough in my opinion!

On 12/30/2017 at 2:54 PM, Searat7 said:

On my iPhone 6 I had many problems and they all went away after replacing battery for 600b at MBK

I replaced the battery too, but the issue still there, and quick run of power too,

so the issue became doubled, slow and quick run out battery,

I read a recent post saying that Apple apologizes for iPhone slowdowns:

You can read the full article in below link:

Apple apologizes for iPhone slowdowns, slashes price of battery fix

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-sorry-iphone-battery-slowdown-ios-update-official/?ftag=CAD4dc88c8&bhid=27832976424555393748932581940489

2 hours ago, waxpro said:

Well, if have to do this reset and dump everything away after every upgrade,, then what to make sense of using this device? delete everything and start as a new user,, i guess not the right option, at least for myself. maybe OK for others ...

In-place OS upgrades work for most people. But there are some instances where conditions exist that an upgrade doesn't go well. Almost every electronic device that allows in-place upgrades have this potential issue.

But if you are utilizing Apple's iOS or Google's android ecosystems, or another dedicated 3rd-party backup scheme, most everything on your phone can be backed up to a computer or 'cloud account' and put back on a reset phone, or (mostly) transferred to a new phone, if need be. 

Email, Contacts, Calendar, Todo, Music, Photos, Applications, Browser bookmarks...  granted it's not perfect, and doesn't cover everything; like OS or Application custom settings, or application-related user data. It means you don't have to lose everything. While using any of the various levels of phone resets available is really the last step you ever want to take, mostly because of the time and hassle of setting up after a partial or full reset is completed, there are occasions when all other avenues have failed to resolve the issue and why not try this one ... especially if someone has the exact same model phone, running the same OS update, on the same carrier, and they don't have the issue.  

Anyway, you *could* always make the process i wee bit easier on yourself by using another device to make a video of all the custom setup you've done on your iPhone, reset it, then use the video as a guide for reloading.

On 29/12/2017 at 8:16 PM, richard_smith237 said:

A battery replacement does indeed fix the problem. Apple has now admitted the issue and plan to fix in the future but the new battery is a quicker fix.

10 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

A battery replacement does indeed fix the problem. Apple has now admitted the issue and plan to fix in the future but the new battery is a quicker fix.

Wonder if they would have ever fessed up had social media not gone wild, and lawsuits hadn't been filed? 

I have no problem with them offering the option of throttling the unit to improve battery life.  But doing it without disclosing it, and that a new battery could fix the issue, is a black eye on them.  It'll be interesting to see how it affects their market share.

I dont agree they should give the option to the consumer on this one

Do you want to a) leave everything as is, causing you to loose a lot of battery life, getting unexpected shutdowns, thus over the course causing damage to your phone or B) slow down your phone a bit to improve your battery life and prevent possibly damage due to unexpected shutdowns.

giving option does not make sense. HOWEVER, they should have informed the user "Your battery needs to be serviced. Your phone has been optimized to be used according to your batteries capacities"....something along those lines.

Thats the "only" thing I think they failed to do...inform the consumer about the "forced" slow down.

• 4 weeks later...