Air ticket out required for visa exempt on arrival

I hear Adobe is a wonderful software. Of course, it is a little off topic since I could not possibly recommend it for this sort of editing, because it would break the forum rules.

Other than that, nobody checks.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, lkv said:

I hear Adobe is a wonderful software. Of course, it is a little off topic since I could not possibly recommend it for this sort of editing, because it would break the forum rules.

Airlines that want this could check the system.  They verified my ticket was valid, when heading to the PI, years ago.  Granted, a "reject" would have cost them a lot for that long flight, so may have accounted for the extra caution.  They asked to see it again, when I got to the checkpoint in the PI - but just glanced at it and stamped me in with a smile (one thing I miss about the PI - their friendly immigration). 

The advantage of the ~$10 option, is at least the ticket exists and is active while going through check-in.

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Airlines that want this could check the system.

I agree with you. Once I was stupid enough to try to check in at Malaysian Airlines BKK to KL without a Malaysian  exit ticket, and had to go outside, book a 15-20 dollar Penang to Medan ticket on the phone (cheapest Air Asia exit ticket), came back to the counter, and indeed the girl did check it, but that was only because she saw me 20 minutes before without one.

Other than that, Europe to BKK, HK to BKK etc, nobody bothered to check.

As long as the flight numbers do exist. They do input that into their system. Obviously, being real flights, the flight time is as on the website.

You see, I don't like wasting money.

But that's just me :)

The 10 dollar option works as well for whoever is not bothered to do what I do.

Edited by lkv

4 hours ago, lkv said:

I agree with you. Once I was stupid enough to try to check in at Malaysian Airlines BKK to KL without a Malaysian  exit ticket, and had to go outside, book a 15-20 dollar Penang to Medan ticket on the phone (cheapest Air Asia exit ticket), came back to the counter, and indeed the girl did check it, but that was only because she saw me 20 minutes before without one.

As long as the flight numbers do exist. They do input that into their system. Obviously, being real flights, the flight time is as on the website.

you are just very lucky, 

9 hours ago, lkv said:

Except for the Airline company where you are originally boarding? But no harm in trying  :-)

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2017 at 7:31 AM, BritTim said:

It is extremely unlikely that Thai immigration will ask to see an onward ticket. However, your airline at check in will usually ask to see an onward flight if you do not have a visa for entry. If you look prosperous, the airline supervisor will probably allow you to check in without an onward ticket or visa (possibly after signing an indemnity form). If getting a tourist visa is inconvenient, and you want to try avoiding the onward flight ticket, at least

• research in advance the cheap onward flight to a nearby country to Thailand you would use if it proved necessary; and
  • arrive at the airport early, so you have time to book an onward flight if you cannot check in without.

I once argued to the airline that I was bussing it to Vientienne.

They stated that if I had a copy of an  "Itinery", any itinery - then they would not be so insistent on me buying another airline ticket.

So have an "Itinery" - wont you ...

37 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

I will be entering overland from Cambodia, not poipet.

How often do they ask for it there?

I assume I can always make a quick smartphone booking right there at the border crossing if they insist.

It's a good thing you are avoiding Poipet - I would not venture to guess what they might ask for.

But per reports I have read for other entry-points from Cambodia, they never ask to see an outgoing ticket.  They could ask to see 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks, but that has not been reported as being requested at Cambodian points of entry, either. 

The one thing to be aware of - one is only allowed 2 Visa-Exempts via Land-Borders per calendar-year.  This rule is strictly enforced, so plan accordingly.

Edited by JackThompson

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

It's a good thing you are avoiding Poipet - I would not venture to guess what they might ask for.

But per reports I have read for other entry-points from Cambodia, they never ask to see an outgoing ticket.  They could ask to see 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks, but that has not been reported as being requested at Cambodian points of entry, either. 

The one thing to be aware of - one is only allowed 2 Visa-Exempts via Land-Borders per calendar-year.  This rule is strictly enforced, so plan accordingly.

Will have plenty of cash on hand, my last visa-exempt was in 2016, just have 5 TV in current passport, but by the time I arrive in Feb18 I will have been out of the country for 7 months,plus will enter at the friendlier Ban Packard border,so I should be alright.If anyone has any information or recent experience to the contrary, please let me know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thecyclist said:

I will be entering overland from Cambodia, not poipet.

How often do they ask for it there?

I assume I can always make a quick smartphone booking right there at the border crossing if they insist.

If asked, just tell them you have enough cash and want to take the bus on the way out. If they insist, as you said, book a cheap ticket there and then.

It's extremely unlikely to be asked for an exit ticket, especially at a land border. I haven't seen reports of that so far.

2 hours ago, lkv said:

If asked, just tell them you have enough cash and want to take the bus on the way out. If they insist, as you said, book a cheap ticket there and then.

It's extremely unlikely to be asked for an exit ticket, especially at a land border. I haven't seen reports of that so far.

Yeah it's just the blo.dy airlines that are the problem.In my decades of in and out ,neither at land borders nor at airports have I ever been asked to show a ticket or cash.

6 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Yeah it's just the blo.dy airlines that are the problem.In my decades of in and out ,neither at land borders nor at airports have I ever been asked to show a ticket or cash.

Don't blame the airlines, they are only enforcing immigration rules since they are responsible for their passengers being in possession of the correct paperwork.

On 30/12/2017 at 10:01 AM, NanLaew said:

There's several online businesses where you can buy a legit onward "throwaway" flight booking for between 5 and 10 bucks. Very popular with frequent 'visitors' to the Philippines where an onward/return ticket is mandatory.

How can it be legit and throwaway? What would happen if the buyer would chose to travel on this "legit" booking? 

4 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

How can it be legit and throwaway? What would happen if the buyer would chose to travel on this "legit" booking? 

Many people buy "throwaway" tickets for ~1200 Baht, and never use them.  The difference here, is that these "onward" tickets are cheaper (~350 Baht), "auto-canceling" throwaway-tickets, which only last 1 to 3 days before they are automatically cancelled.

I believe the word "legit" was meant, in this context, "The ticket exists in the airline-system as a real ticket at the time it is checked for validity."  This would be contrasted to a fake-ticket, created in graphics software, which would not ever actually exist / be valid.

Whether any "throwaway ticket" is really "legit" for the purpose for which they are used, depends on whether their use is defined according to the traveler's "intent to use" the ticket.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

I believe the word "legit" was meant, in this context, "The ticket exists in the airline-system as a real ticket at the time it is checked for validity." 

Do they actually have an e-ticket number?

Because there is a difference between a booking / reservation and an issued e-ticket.

Some airlines do offer the option on their website also (for free) to book now pay later (72 hours). Some travel agents can also reserve flights on their platform (Amadeus i believe it's called), and if you don't pay for them until a certain date they get cancelled automatically.

Edited by lkv

Just totted up over 3 passports my exact arrival numbers and its 168 times. Never ever once have I been asked to show onward tickets . As the mod fella says you'll likely find you'll get offloaded at port of embarkation.

Only once on Emirates think was 2006 when I was using return portion of a bkk lon bkk ticket ( so effectively one way) was I challenged and had to get head of emirates station to ok me with me signing an authority that I woud pay if refused entry

As with the other 167 times never asked

4 hours ago, lkv said:

Do they actually have an e-ticket number?

Because there is a difference between a booking / reservation and an issued e-ticket.

Some airlines do offer the option on their website also (for free) to book now pay later (72 hours). Some travel agents can also reserve flights on their platform (Amadeus i believe it's called), and if you don't pay for them until a certain date they get cancelled automatically.

Honestly, I don't know - never used that system (and never flew in visa-exempt).  When I was doing the Tourist-Visa hop, and needed tickets to show at Thai consulates, I set the dates so I could actually use them for the next planned trip out.

14 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Honestly, I don't know - never used that system (and never flew in visa-exempt).  When I was doing the Tourist-Visa hop, and needed tickets to show at Thai consulates, I set the dates so I could actually use them for the next planned trip out.

Well, thanks at last some sense. All this talk about borderline semi-legal play with the system gives me the creeps. And all in all I still wonder why one ends up doing visa runs... Thai immigration is somewhat xenophobic and cumbersome, but if our stay is beneficial to the country, there is a option available. And, at the end of the day my "Thai Wife" visa costs me on or two days a year to maintain; so I get mad occasionally but still keep doing it.

On 12/31/2017 at 2:25 AM, lkv said:

I did fly to Malaysia more than 50 times, mostly from Thailand. In 90% I did not have an onward or return ticket. never ever has a Malaysian airline (MAS, AirAsia, Malindo) asked me for an onward ticket. The only case was when I did fly Royal Jordanian, but when I showed them my MAS ENRICH GOLD card, they accepted to let me board without one. I don't think the Malaysian government applies a "need for return-ticket" policy, at least not for citizens of EU countries. In many cases, the airlines create their own rules.

6 hours ago, THAILIBAN said:

I did fly to Malaysia more than 50 times, mostly from Thailand. In 90% I did not have an onward or return ticket. never ever has a Malaysian airline (MAS, AirAsia, Malindo) asked me for an onward ticket. The only case was when I did fly Royal Jordanian, but when I showed them my MAS ENRICH GOLD card, they accepted to let me board without one. I don't think the Malaysian government applies a "need for return-ticket" policy, at least not for citizens of EU countries. In many cases, the airlines create their own rules.

Maybe they did on that occasion because I did have a lot of luggage and it really looked like I'm going there for a while. 

Qatar did ask a few times in the past, last time they didn't. And I had no visa in the passport. As a matter of fact, on most occasions that they did ask, I actually had an SETV. :)

It's just lottery.

Edited by lkv