Prayut threatens not to call an election this year ‘unless public order prevails’

webfact

Prayut threatens not to call an election this year ‘unless public order prevails’

By THE NATION

3c3a49929bec2266b86bad90e5733433.jpeg

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha

WHILE there are no signs of chaos and the authorities say the country is now peaceful, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has threatened not to call an election unless there is public order this year. He also dismissed speculation that he was already forming a political party to enable his return to power after the election.

“If you want an election, you should stay in order peacefully. I cannot call an election if conflicts remain, and I cannot take responsibility for such disputes,” he said.

“By saying that, it does not mean I would delay the election, but I just want to warn people not to make trouble for the country,” he said. “People also should not support people who create difficulties.”

Prayut did not make clear which factions were creating problems but, as he has in the past, he blamed the two major parties, the Democrat Party and Pheu Thai, for calling street protests against each other over the past decade. Prayut has always portrayed the junta as a neutral party that staged the military coup in 2014 to end conflicts between the two rival political camps. 

“Do you remember what the two parties did in the past? I don’t understand why they are turning the attack on me now,” Prayut said.

Political parties have strongly criticised the junta chief for using his absolute power under Article 44 to amend the Political Party Act. They say this will create problems for them in verifying their membership lists, and could give the upper hand to a new party set up to support Prayut. 

Pheu Thai has lodged a petition with the Constitution Court to reject Prayut’s order and the Democrats plan to do the same.

“I did not intend to dissolve members of the parties,” Prayut said. “And the 30-day deadline for the verification process is long enough, as they only need a minimum of 500 members.”

Prayut rejected reports that he was preparing to set up a military-backed party to run in the election. These rumours re-emerged most recently after a picture of him with members of a political clan in Nakhon Pathom was circulated last week.

“Please be fair with me. Anybody can set up a political party and if people see that it proposes good candidates, they will choose that party,” he said. “Why are you paranoid about me?

Prayut said his New Year resolution was to see a reduction in poverty and moves towards a conflict-free democracy. “I want transparent and efficient politicians to implement the national strategy for poverty reduction and people’s happiness,” he said. He added that his government had a lot to do in 2018 for sustainable development but did not want to merely give money to the poor since that would not solve the problem. 

“I want the new government to do as my government is doing. We need a clear objective and direction for specific groups that have different demands,” he said.

Meanwhile, Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday urged Prayut’s National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to “make the best of their final year in power”.

“Thai society has given so much opportunity to the NCPO despite severe economic problems,” Abhisit said, adding that people wanted to see reforms promised by Prayut. He said reform would only be possible with public participation in government.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30335144

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-01

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While ever there is unrest between parties there can be no election .....  this is common sense.

This has been proven in Thai history that democracy won't work in Thailand ...  to much political fighting.

Good job Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha for the work you have done.

Thailands economy is firing with GDP and exports up and more jobs created. It is expected that Thailand will be even more robust this year.

Happy new year to the government   !!

Image result for pics of khun prayuth chan-ocha

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“I want the new government to do as my government is doing. We need a clear objective and direction for specific groups that have different demands,” he said.

I think that he let the proverbial cat out of the bag (not that it was well hidden).

He clearly has no intention of ceding power, but rather of imposing his personal demands on the Thai people.

It is very clear that he cannot be trusted to keep his word on returning power. 

Political parties, what are you going to do? It is decision time.

Acquiescence is consent.

55 minutes ago, steven100 said:

While ever there is unrest between parties there can be no election .....  this is common sense.

This has been proven in Thai history that democracy won't work in Thailand ...  to much political fighting.

Thailands economy is firing with GDP and exports up and more jobs created. It is expected that Thailand will be even more robust this year.

"Thailands economy is firing" ???

Must be on two cylinders out of 8.

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Sorry but I don't believe it, The report is just a copy of the inflated numbers the military junta want us to believe. The numbers coming out of Thailand ( traffic deaths per year, total catch from the commercial fishing fleet etc.) are all fabricated.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Thankfully it's Steven 100, not 100 Stevens! Do you supply the boot polish?

I hate the current government as much as everybody else here, but I think this is the best thing that can happen to Thailand.

If the junta would hand over power willfully the new political parties will need to play to the junta-rules limiting them tremendously and still leaving absurd amounts of power in the hands of unelected military men that want to take part in everything to earn a few new Richard Mille watches a year.

The best thing that can happen is the people getting so fed up with this bunch that there will be mass protests leading to the junta needing to step down, being prosecuted, and the military castrated for decades to come. I really hope this can be done without bloodshets, but unfortunately history teaches us that things that come by without effort are not well appreciated and protected in the future.

I know it is easy talking without my own a$$ on the line, but i can always leave to a country with better government and voting rights (my home country).

Now its time for the Thai people to show what they want for the future: a junta-abstract government without any power, limited freedoms, corruption, protection of people with power, or a fair society in which they have something to say. You make your own bed, but dont forget you also got to lie down in it.

Can't stand the thought of this guy and his watch wearing crooks staying in power.

What is the future for Thailand as those seeking power to rule are looking to loot the treasury with little regard to the welfare of Thai people.

How will they break the cycle of history? More is required than a bleating reference to elections and democracy, where are their charismatic potential leaders with real plans for change? 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Prayut rejected reports that he was preparing to set up a military-backed party to run in the election. These rumours re-emerged most recently after a picture of him with members of a political clan in Nakhon Pathom was circulated last week.

“Please be fair with me. Anybody can set up a political party and if people see that it proposes good candidates, they will choose that party,” he said. “Why are you paranoid about me?

did he not say 4 years ago that there would be no coup

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

Can't stand the thought of this guy and his watch wearing crooks staying in power.

What is the future for Thailand as those seeking power to rule are looking to loot the treasury with little regard to the welfare of Thai people.

How will they break the cycle of history? More is required than a bleating reference to elections and democracy, where are their charismatic potential leaders with real plans for change? 

change ? it wont be loose coins it will be bank notes or nothing. An election wont change anything, a full trough is waiting for the winner only the pigs will change. It's laughable, my mafia is better than your mafia.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Yes, agree, think some country's function better under direct rule, rather than all the "argy bargy" that goes with democratic Gov't... 

Prayut and his friends have wasted the opportunity they had to heal the divisions in Thailand.

After the last coup even the hard line reds in our village had come to terms with the need to change. Now he has united the whole village, they have all become poorer and more in debt. There is now total hatred for this government.

Maybe the rich of Bangkok are happy, but the 13 million Thai farmers are not. Our local farmers bank has stopped lending money, cars/tractors and farms are being repossessed. Things are getting desperate.

Prayut knows he has failed and being Thai he has to blame others for his failures.

6 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Actually if this guy wants to stay in power all he needs to do is say there will only be an election when Thais stop drink driving and killing each other at a rate of 50 a day on the roads. So if drink driving comes under public order, he is well poised !

There are many true words spoken in jest...

Surprise surprise!

What is the 'democratic soldier' afraid of? :whistling: 

He and the Army cannot conceive of giving up control of the Kingdom! It is "their" Kingdom, never to be the Kingdom of the people for the people.

Even the leader of Iran says that people have the right to protest.

If democracy means we go back to the dark days of spilt blood then I as well as all peace loving Thai's will chose the Junta. 

I am getting use to the peace that the Junta has brought. No bloody street protests, no grenades, no burning buildings and a robust economy with ever growing tourism bringing in billions of baht. The tourism numbers in itself is testament that Prayut has got it right and has brought an unheralded peace to a country craving it. 

If Thailand is not ready then so be it. 

1 minute ago, djjamie said:

If democracy means we go back to the dark days of spilt blood then I as well as all peace loving Thai's will chose the Junta. 

I am getting use to the peace that the Junta has brought. No bloody street protests, no grenades, no burning buildings and a robust economy with ever growing tourism bringing in billions of baht. The tourism numbers in itself is testament that Prayut has got it right and has brought an unheralded peace to a country craving it. 

If Thailand is not ready then so be it. 

Sorry mate, it doesn't work anymore. Steven100 has taken your crown. Poetic justice, really...