If you can have one wish for Thailand in 2018 what would it be.

KhunMhee

The basic issue isn't in testing, or the need for re-testing.   It is in enforcement.  People follow traffic laws because of the consequences of not following them and the reasonably high probability of getting caught.   

In Thailand there is a very good chance you won't get caught because there are no formal road patrols, just road blocks.   If you do get caught there is a nominal payment for almost everything.   

In most western countries, people follow the traffic laws because there are major consequences.   Just drive drunk in most countries and see what happens.   Go ahead and speed.   Not only is it a hefty fine, but the insurance rates go up, etc., etc.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

That's two, you said one!:shock1:

I wish for all the money spent on corruption to be invested in infrastructure.

Yes, the way roads are constructed, the system of U-turns and many other factors, including endless sois entering main roads, is a problem.    

1 minute ago, Credo said:

The basic issue isn't in testing, or the need for re-testing.   It is in enforcement.  People follow traffic laws because of the consequences of not following them and the reasonably high probability of getting caught.   

In Thailand there is a very good chance you won't get caught because there are no formal road patrols, just road blocks.   If you do get caught there is a nominal payment for almost everything.   

In most western countries, people follow the traffic laws because there are major consequences.   Just drive drunk in most countries and see what happens.   Go ahead and speed.   Not only is it a hefty fine, but the insurance rates go up, etc., etc.

I agree. That's why the line of people in violation having to be re tested. There will be some who drive very well so a blanket law re testing everyone would not work. But it's my one wish just trying to imagine it coming true brings a smile to my face

• Like 1

I guess to sum up what I was trying to say about vehicle laws is that Thailand ranks 73rd for cars per 1000 people at 206. And ranks second in the world in accidents per capita.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_vehicles_per_capita Source on the vehicles per 1000

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2016/02/22/the-countries-with-the-most-per-capita-road-deaths-infographic/#10321233361a

Source on the vehicular deaths per capita.

Wishing the best to everyone in the new year and remember the road is a dangerous place

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wish it was as easy for me to stay in LOS as it was in the 90s.

If I was allowed a second wish, I'd wish for all the bar girls to be as pretty as they were in the 90s too.

I wish all bars, dancers and employees reverted to 1998 rules, guidelines and quality. But that's like wishing San Francisco reverted to 1967.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MJL1962 said:

Foreigners can own land. Even as small as a couple of Rai. Would happily pay yearly tax just to get it in your own name and not have to set up fictional company or risk it in a Thai name.

Good one. That alone would attract 40,000 additional retirees. That's not a lot scattered all over Thailand as they are not going to buy downtown Bangkok. If each generated an additional $25,000 income then that would be an annual boost to the Thai economy of $1 billion, or 33 billion baht.

• Like 2