Video captures two foreigners brawling in busy Thai street

snoop1130

8 hours ago, djayz said:

10 out of 10 to the motorbike taxi fella who intervined and helped break up the fight ? unlike the clown who just sat there and recorded it 

2 idiots duking it out?  I'm gonna be the guy filming it.  There is absolutely no personal upside to breaking it up, and lots of potential downside.

Edit:  Still, kudos to the scooter taxi guy.  The ones around my place actually do a lot of good for the neighborhood, and are generally very helpful to me, as well.  

Edited by impulse

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

2 idiots duking it out?  I'm gonna be the guy filming it.  There is absolutely no personal upside to breaking it up, and lots of potential downside.

Yes, I would also stand back and watch .

Any intervention would likely have the outcome of "u wanna row as well , come on then"

Just now, sanemax said:

Yes, I would also stand back and watch .

Any intervention would likely have the outcome of "u wanna row as well , come on then"

+1

Just as likely they would forget all about their little disagreement when a common enemy presents itself.  Ask any cop about breaking up a domestic dispute.

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

+1

Just as likely they would forget all about their little disagreement when a common enemy presents itself.  Ask any cop about breaking up a domestic dispute.

Yes : "oi, leave boyfriend alone" . "You after my  bird or something"

"Lets get him"

And they walk off hand in hand and you hobble off , having had a kick in the nuts, with a bloodied nose

30 minutes ago, impulse said:

Edit:  Still, kudos to the scooter taxi guy.  The ones around my place actually do a lot of good for the neighborhood, and are generally very helpful to me, as well.  

So it's okay for the locals to step in and end the fight, but not you because there's nothing in it for you? 

There was no personal upside in it for the motorbike guys either, but they knew the right thing to do while some clown just sat there filming it... 

Nowadays people prefer to catch everything on camera so they have something to upload and share.

It reminds me of a time when I went to the aid of an old man injured in a motorbike accident in Korat. When I looked around for help, about 20 people were standing there recording this old man dying. 

Disgusting behaviour in my opinion. Help first in every situation. 

20 minutes ago, djayz said:

So it's okay for the locals to step in and end the fight, but not you because there's nothing in it for you? 

There was no personal upside in it for the motorbike guys either, but they knew the right thing to do while some clown just sat there filming it... 

Nowadays people prefer to catch everything on camera so they have something to upload and share.

It reminds me of a time when I went to the aid of an old man injured in a motorbike accident in Korat. When I looked around for help, about 20 people were standing there recording this old man dying. 

To your first statement.  Yup.  Not my job.  It's 2 willing participants doing what they chose to do.

To your 2nd statement.  Those scooter taxi guys did great.  But they did it knowing that there are dozens of them within shouting distance, and there is zero percent chance that they'll be mistaken for one of the idiots.

To your "help first in every situation", I don't see where stopping 2 people who are doing what they want to do is really helping them.  I'd feel different if it was a one sided beating.  But 2 drunk guys duking it out?

Edit: I'd also add that part of the blame goes to the social media sites who actually pay people money for posting videos like that when others (like us) click on the links and get advertisements flashed in front of us.  It's like everyone in the world becomes potential paparazzi, hoping they've stumbled onto the video that's going to launch their Facebook career.  Wouldn't you feel like an idiot if you missed it, while the guy next to you got 5 million hits and a big chunk of change?

Edited by impulse

11 minutes ago, djayz said:

Although this situation is quite different to a motorcycle accident 

16 minutes ago, impulse said:

To your first statement.  Yup.  Not my job.  It's 2 willing participants doing what they chose to do.

To your 2nd statement.  Those scooter taxi guys did great.  But they did it knowing that there are dozens of them within shouting distance, and there is zero percent chance that they'll be mistaken for one of the idiots.

To your "help first in every situation", I don't see where stopping 2 people who are doing what they want to do is really helping them.  I'd feel different if it was a one sided beating.  But 2 drunk guys duking it out?

Edit: I'd also add that part of the blame goes to the social media sites who actually pay people money for posting videos like that when others (like us) click on the links and get advertisements flashed in front of us.  It's like everyone in the world becomes potential paparazzi, hoping they've stumbled onto the video that's going to launch their Facebook career.  Wouldn't you feel like an idiot if you missed it, while the guy next to you got 5 million hits and a big chunk of change?

Impulse, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. 

I hear what you're saying, but I for one can't sit by recording fights, etc. 

Good luck and a happy New Year. 

18 minutes ago, impulse said:

Very good point in your (edited) paragraph.

Entire populations of potential or actual voyeurs-I have seen this around crash sites.

Like all voyeurs they are not really interacting with the action/reality going on around them.

Meanwhile it's just two geezers havin' a punch up

1 minute ago, djayz said:

We're not really that far apart.  I've never pulled out the camera.  But then, I don't need the money that Facebook or Youtube would bring in.  I'd probably feel differently if I made 300 baht a day and $100 from Youtube would make a big difference.  So, I'm not a fan of the people gawking with cameras, but I don't judge them harshly.

And I have broken up a few one sided beatings- though I haven't encountered many since I quit drinking.  But I'm still not going to get between 2 drunks willingly duking it out.  Especially in a foreign country with hair trigger males (of all nationalities) all over the place.

10 minutes ago, djayz said:

Although this isnt about recording the fights , its about whether to get involved or not .

If the kids wanna fight, you better let them .

I thought Blue Shirt showed some decent standup instincts, had a strategy of leading with his jab and looking for a big shot with his right. If the fight had gone on for another minute, shirtless fat dude was going down!