Do mosquito coils work?

JohnJay

I am not convinced that mosquito coils work, they don't seem to do anything. However my wife insists on buying them and lighting them up all over the place every night. 

What is the TV verdict? Do they work or are they a waste of money? I've tried to find research on this but there seems to be limited information out there.

Yes they work very well indoors, and even outdoors (if you surround yourself with say 4 coils).

And they are cheap.

But as kenk said, breathing in the smoke may not be all that healthy.

I could never survive a day in the wet season without those coils...(we have a small river and a water reservoir in our garden).

They are most effective as a circular barrier with a larger outer circle of 4 and a smaller inner circle of 4 more. Good for outdoor parties but impractical for small areas (kill you before the mosquitos can) and short stints outside.

A better device is a CO2 trap that uses a propane tank as fuel. Run about 3 or 4 hours before your outing and noticeably fewer mosquitos around.

I use coils all the time - from dusk onwards.  Must admit the ones with so-called lavender in make me feel sick - the green ones do not.

Is the smoke carcinogenic?  Did not know that - so which is going to get me first - the coils or the fags!!!!

On the beach the bar staff use incense sticks if the mossies are becoming a problem.

PS I put the coil in a metal bowl under the table - stops the ash flying everywhere.

The coils work to repel, but certainly won't kill the little pest.  I would not use them indoors for obvious health reasons.  But just the other day, I went into one of those home improvement malls and saw a whole aisle of mosquito gadgets that will attract/kill all manner of flying insects.  Just need to figure out which one is most effective.  They mostly attract mosquitos with light and then grill them on electrical wire mesh.  The cost were all quite reasonable. 

When I had a couple of buffalo I used to use smouldering coconut fiber which they used to stand over. Buffalo burgers on the hoof. Smoke is what deters mosquitoes I think. Here in NZ my family uses an electrical contraption with a wick that dispenses Raid. I coughed for days after I left it on in the bedroom. Don't bother now. No malaria or dengue fever here. 

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

What are posters' experiences with alternatives?

Such as UV traps, electronic devises, liquid evaporators?

Don't have a big problem with mosquitoes, but when they're present I use the liquid electric mosquito repellent and it seems to work well. 

repellent.jpg.48416c9ce42e38cea1e0b42532559d15.jpg

2 hours ago, rbpeters said:

I used to use them a lot on my outside balcony - but now just keep a fan on  - that keeps them away from you.  I was also concerned about breathing in the fumes from the coils.

I never realized how effective a good fan is until I spent a night in Kalasin in an open house. I was being eaten alive until grandma focused the fan on me. Kept me cool, and not another mosquito bite the rest of the night!

No Proof Mosquito Coils Prevent Malaria/ Dengue

According to the authors ‘the studies tested the efficacy of coils in achieving mosquito bite reduction (14 studies), mosquito repellence (seven), deterrence (five), “knockdown” effect (five), and percentage mosquito mortality (seven)’.

I use a couple of these automatic thingys - they have variable settings (20 mins, 15 etc) and give a quick squirt on time. Put them on at night - wake up in the morning and see the results, littering the sheets and floors, particularly in the rainy season. From Tesco.

8DE98ABD-9F79-4F25-A85A-98CA51608A74.jpeg

8A0E7CFF-48D6-43A0-9718-16B1710FCC85.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bogbrush said:

I use a couple of these automatic thingys - they have variable settings (20 mins, 15 etc) and give a quick squirt on time. Put them on at night - wake up in the morning and see the results, littering the sheets and floors, particularly in the rainy season. From Tesco.

It is interesting that you see concrete results, while others are claiming the opposite:

https://www.productreview.com.au/p/mortein-naturgard-fly-and-mosquito-killer.html

I wonder if you are getting a different product here.

Some interesting information here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_coil

https://cameronwebb.wordpress.com/2015/05/01/are-mosquito-coils-making-us-sick/

My first wife died of lung cancer even though she was never a smoker. But she meditated for a couple of hours every day indoors with heavy incense smoke. I had warned her because I had seen hand rolled incense production with coal/charcoal base. It's the inhalation of toxic gases and particulates from burning base material that is as dangerous as the insecticide ingredients. 

I use the coils outside of our front door in the evening to limit the home invaders.  I think they help at reduction, but certainly not anywhere near 100% protection. 

I take mosquito control kind of seriously, mostly because our daughter almost died from a serious falciparum malarial infection.

Outdoors I don't always use protection because I forget;  just an after the fact spot analgesic if I get bit, to reduce itching and scratching. But when I anticipate high exposure I like 25% deet, or the little easy to carry packets pictured below. Used to be available at 7-11s and Lotus. Last I saw they had switched to a creamy base which I don't like as much, although they work. 

Indoors I have a comprehensive home program because we have a lot of standing water where we live and no local mosquito abatement program. 

1. fully screened windows and doors, utilized fully after 5pm
  2. springed automatic door closures help avoid constant nagging of family members to shut the door
  3. blue or black light zappers in each room, lit up after 5pm and all night. cleaned regularly for best efficiency.
  4. almost 100% bed protection is mosquito net but this limits air flow and cooling,  I prefer overhead fan, these really work good for mosquitos and flies. third best is oscilating fans, one or two of them sweeping across bed all night. 

Mossie.docx

Carbon dioxide traps are about the only "effective" mosquito eliminators.....Some claiming up to 1/4 an acre....

They don't respond to the blue light zappers.....Although most other flying insects seem to....

I would not use them. From what I have read the workers in the plants that make them don't live a long life.

I will use off if I have to. Skitters are usually are only out one or two hours each night. Just go inside for awhile.

I lived in Wisconsin for 22 years. Worst mosquitos I have ever seen, clouds of them the second you step outside, especially in June after the Spring rains. I would set a Thai mosquito coil outside the backdoor all day to keep them away so they wouldn't sneak into the house. Very effective!

The insecticide in them is pyrethrin, made from a flower, African in origin. Totally organic and not harmful to vertebrates. As to the smoke being carcinogenic, I suppose it's the same as any other natural smoke. I wouldn't roll a doobie with that stuff, but then again, I move out of the way when the smoke from a campfire shifts. But that's why God gave us google. Who cares enough to do some real research and get back to us?