Tony Blair warns British voters: time is running out to stop Brexit folly

webfact

You all miss the point

Allowing cheap imports will drive down walfare standards generally. That applies whether discussing bacon or shoes.

The existing system goes some way to level up the playing field. Incidentally, proper labelling of products would help. 

?

Anyway, when you've all finished spitting rivits, ponder this: Trump has just slapped 25% import duty on steel!

Why is that do you think?

The Brexiters always say the EU is a protection racket. Absolutely, we don't want our living standards dragged to the lowest common denominator. I think Trump is wrong and over the top as always but at least he tries to protect the interests of the workers in the American Union!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jinners said:

EU is a protection racket and everyone knows it. The spineless amongst the remainiacs, politicians and all, just like the status quo, cosy locked in pensions for the eliterati, no rocking of the boat, not when 90% of the UK catch goes elsewhere anyway, accounts not signed off for 18 years, boring really something everyone should know. This Liebour thing of 'race to the bottom' was absolute horse crap. At least they've (finally) stopped using Singapore as a example of everything that can be bad in Asia. Pretty brain dead using a shining example of efficiency and capitalism as a negative. Says it all really.

Did you read and understand my post?

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The man should be in the dock at the Hague over the WMD. Just seeing him on TV angers me, as who does he think he is? A champion of the people. Not at all. A servant of the establishment who lies, lies and tells more lies. He shouldn't be given air time on TV and obviously Brussels allowing him a speech just shows their stance on democracy. The sooner the UK leaves the EU the better.

"The man should be in the dock at the Hague over the WMD. Just seeing him on TV angers me, as who does he think he is? A champion of the people. Not at all. A servant of the establishment who lies, lies and tells more lies. He shouldn't be given air time on TV and obviously Brussels allowing him a speech just shows their stance on democracy. "

Agree entirely.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

I can't see why.  You made an earlier post stating that uk 'welfare' standards didn't meet eu standards?  Hard to see then how they could fall any lower.... :sad:.

I'm annoyed that you can imply that eu animal welfare standards are ok - when battery farming etc. is still allowable under the eu ...

There is a strong effort to enforce high animal husbandry standards in the EU. Far from perfect but far far better than standards in many other countries such as here for example. Gove says he wants to have even higher standards 

In real terms, food has never been cheaper. That requires efficient production.

Allowing unfettered imports will force our own farmers to compete with countries where hellish conditions are legal. I for one see nothing good in that.

What is/was your line of business?

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Why is that do you think?

The Brexiters always say the EU is a protection racket. Absolutely, we don't want our living standards dragged to the lowest common denominator. I think Trump is wrong and over the top as always but at least he tries to protect the interests of the workers in the American Union!

"I think Trump is wrong and over the top as always but at least he tries to protect the interests of the workers in the American Union!"

Really :saai:.  You genuinely believe that trump cares about the 'little people'?

But trump is a distraction to this topic, and I'm sure you've brought him up for this reason....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grouse said:

You all miss the point

Allowing cheap imports will drive down walfare standards generally. That applies whether discussing bacon or shoes.

The existing system goes some way to level up the playing field. Incidentally, proper labelling of products would help. 

?

34 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I can't see why.  You made an earlier post stating that uk 'welfare' standards didn't meet eu standards?  Hard to see then how they could fall any lower.... :sad:.

I'm annoyed that you can imply that eu animal welfare standards are ok - when battery farming etc. is still allowable under the eu ...

25 minutes ago, Grouse said:

There is a strong effort to enforce high animal husbandry standards in the EU. Far from perfect but far far better than standards in many other countries such as here for example. Gove says he wants to have even higher standards 

In real terms, food has never been cheaper. That requires efficient production.

Allowing unfettered imports will force our own farmers to compete with countries where hellish conditions are legal. I for one see nothing good in that.

What is/was your line of business?

I'm at a loss to respond.

Eu have no problem with battery farming/uk apparently somehow have even lower standards/imports from other countries will have even lower (ha ha :sad:) 'animal welfare' standards!

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Grouse said:

You all miss the point

?

No, you are missing the point - you are talking welfare standards - we" are not talking welfare standards - "we" are talking prices! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Nice and peaceful, I always feel relaxed in Isaan. My lot come from That Phanom, not so far from you 

Ahhh - cosy - "My lot" says a lot about your standpoint!

Edited by sambum