Tony Blair warns British voters: time is running out to stop Brexit folly

webfact

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

Not so ridiculous really - if you have a vote and lose by, say, 5%, does that give you the right to call for another vote? If you win, you win - if you lose, you lose -democracy.

If that is true then why is there an election every 4 years?

The referendum was to gauge the will of the people, I don't see the harm in gauging the will of the people again now that far more is known about Brexit.

But, it sounds like the Brexiteers are terrified of another referendum as they now realise the mood has shifted ...so democracy is the last thing they want.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sambum said:

Not so ridiculous really - if you have a vote and lose by, say, 5%, does that give you the right to call for another vote? If you win, you win - if you lose, you lose -democracy.

Completely, absolutely, unequivocally ridiculous analogy to compare referendums to football.

Also in a democracy, everyone has the right to call or campaign for a new vote.

To refuse this right is dictatorship.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Air Smiles said:

If that is true then why is there an election every 4 years?

The referendum was to gauge the will of the people, I don't see the harm in gauging the will of the people again now that far more is known about Brexit.

But, it sounds like the Brexiteers are terrified of another referendum as they now realise the mood has shifted ...so democracy is the last thing they want.

Now that is a ridiculous comment! They have an election every 4 years because if your political party loses an election, you get the chance to vote again in 4 years time.

The referendum was made, and because you don't like the result "Let's have another referendum", and if you don't like the result again "Let's have another referendum", and if you don't like the result again ..............  ad infinitum?

"A certain poster" will say yes - in fact he did in an earlier post/thread, but that is not my interpretation of democracy!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Completely, absolutely, unequivocally ridiculous analogy to compare referendums to football.

Also in a democracy, everyone has the right to call or campaign for a new vote.

To refuse this right is dictatorship.

You and I agree on a lot of things, but I am afraid on this one we will have to differ. You are completely, absolutely, unequivocally convinced that you are right, and I disagree. We have both stated our opinion, neither of us are going to change our mind, so I suggest that we consider our discussion on this matter :mfr_closed1: 

50 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Keep on calling me names ,its still not going to happen , i suggest you stop throwing your  toys out of the pram , just get on with life .

Me?

Keep telling you, I have never called for another vote.

I'm just pointing out the authoritarian streak that saying ''no vote ever again'' reveals.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, sambum said:

You and I agree on a lot of things, but I am afraid on this one we will have to differ. You are completely, absolutely, unequivocally convinced that you are right, and I disagree. We have both stated our opinion, neither of us are going to change our mind, so I suggest that we consider our discussion on this matter :mfr_closed1: 

Yep, seems that way.

I will never accept it is wrong for someone to exercise their democratic rights.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Both sides had their chance to speak, then the electorate spoke

Its time for all to respect that vote, thats what democracy is all about as far as I am concerned

Politicians being what they are who knows whats waiting around the corner

Maybe the sour grapes brigade will get their wish only time will tell

Democracy is about many things, including exercising your rights. 

It includes calling for a vote, if that that is your view. 

It does not include an authoritarian refusal to accept this right. 

• Sad 1

As several people have pointed out in this thread this could go on for ever if we were stupid enough to allow it

The fact is a legal, no hanky panky vote has taken place

I will repeat myself, the vote needs to be respected

That is still no cause to deny people their legitimate, democratic rights. 

The right to call for a vote needs to be respected. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, oldlakey said:

OK to end this my last offer is best of five

I really care what you offer. I’m not calling for a vote. 

I’m  pointing out the authoritarian nature of the intolerance shown to people who exercise their legitimate, democratic rights. 

• Sad 1

Bluespunk, if there is one thing I am certain of its the fact that you never have, you are not at the moment and probably never will call for another vote 

Goodnight

I don’t need you to tell me what I have said either. 

I know already. 

• Sad 1