Tony Blair warns British voters: time is running out to stop Brexit folly

webfact

On 2/21/2018 at 2:05 AM, F4UCorsair said:

Yep, and the losers of the second referendum don't like the result so demand another vote. Where does it stop??
Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Nothing stops. Any decision re referendums is the prerogative of Parliament. Not only that, no single Parliament can oblige subsequent Parliaments what to do (other than that established by parliamentary procedure, precedent and convention). It is unfortunate that most Brexiteers do not seem to have the faintest idea of how parliamentary democracy works.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Nothing stops. Any decision re referendums is the prerogative of Parliament. Not only that, no single Parliament can oblige subsequent Parliaments what to do (other than that established by parliamentary procedure, precedent and convention). It is unfortunate that most Brexiteers do not seem to have the faintest idea of how parliamentary democracy works.

In this case Parliament used its prerogative to allow the referendum but it does not have the same moral or constitutional power to confound the result, acceptable to it, or not. Future Parliaments do not have that power either.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SheungWan said:

8 hours ago, nauseus said:

In this case Parliament used its prerogative to allow the referendum but it does not have the same moral or constitutional power to confound the result, acceptable to it, or not. Future Parliaments do not have that power either.

As I was saying! However, this does not prevent some Brexiteers from bringing up totally bogus arguments which have no legal basis whatsoever. See that weasel word confound? Meaningless. Parliament has every right to undertake another referendum. Reversing a result = confound a result? Oh yes. In the Brexiteer parallel universe it does. No wonder Brexiteers ended up labelling State institutions as Enemies of the People. That's where they end up. Every time.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Haha 1

Is this the Brexit thread now? How ironic!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/22/jeremy-corbyn-could-back-remaining-in-eu-customs-union

Common sense from The Grauniad for a change. Looks pretty obvious to me.

Actually, TM should just abandon the whole Brexit farce and then resign. The UK has become a laughing stock.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Is this the Brexit thread now? How ironic!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/22/jeremy-corbyn-could-back-remaining-in-eu-customs-union

Common sense from The Grauniad for a change. Looks pretty obvious to me.

Actually, TM should just abandon the whole Brexit farce and then resign. The UK has become a laughing stock.

IMO the UK lost it when they joined the common market and shafted their real friends, but regardless, IMO May is THE laughing stock and should definitely resign. Pity that they didn't have anyone better suited instead before the last election. I wonder if Cameron cries every morning when he wakes up and realises what he did by resigning?

16 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"IMO the UK lost it when they joined the common market and shafted their real friends"

I agree and have never understood why the voting populace agreed to join the eec.

Without looking it up, I would believe that the politicians lied through their teeth about how wonderful it was going to be.

However, wasn't it supposed to be just a sort of super free trade group? All the political junk was levered in later.

However, coming from a small country that sent many to die in Britain's wars, to be shafted by Britain ( as we were ) is unforgivable, IMO.

15 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Perhaps they were/still are being "indoctrinated" at schools/univercities etc etc.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Correct, my own son was subject to a biased Remoaning teacher in his class at an international school in Thailand. Was this an isolated instance, I think not.

11 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Perhaps they were/still are being "indoctrinated" at schools/univercities etc etc.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hardly, as the majority of the electorate were far from 'school' age.

I was around 15 at the time, but my limited knowledge didn't stop me from realising it  was going to result in higher prices....

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Without looking it up, I would believe that the politicians lied through their teeth about how wonderful it was going to be.

However, wasn't it supposed to be just a sort of super free trade group? All the political junk was levered in later.

However, coming from a small country that sent many to die in Britain's wars, to be shafted by Britain ( as we were ) is unforgivable, IMO.

Which country would that be then, just curious

My guess would be OZ

Am I warm

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jinners said:

Yes T Maybe has made a <deleted> of it, but what gives you the right to suggest a democratically taken vote should be overturned? Ooops sorry, Grauniad reader and Corbynite. Bring Brexit on, I have no respect for those with out any respect for others, and that applies to pretty much every remoaner out there with their fake news and slanted arguments. Today Airbus said we are committed to staying within the UK. Siemens said we see many more positives than negatives to staying within the UK. As pretty much every inflated fantasy of project fear grinds to a halt. Goldman Sachs, Nissan, need I go on?

I am no corbynite.

I am also not a moron; Brexit should be canned forthwith.