Prayut refuses to rule himself out of future PM role

webfact

Prayut refuses to rule himself out of future PM role

By The Nation

c5f6644d04ccfb0fc13ddb4dbea6602e.jpeg

Despite his recent declaration that he is now a politician and not a military man, PM General Prayut Chan-o-cha on Thursday refused to rule out the potential for his becoming an “outside” PM after the next election.

“You know well that I would eliminate myself by saying anything now. We don’t know what the future will be like,” Prayut said during a New Year’s luncheon.

“But the process for becoming an outside PM is laid out by the charter. If parties cannot settle for a certain PM choice in the parliament, the charter opens a way for an outside PM to be proposed.

“This is to eliminate the possibility of coup starting. There won’t be a coup any more since an outside PM will be selected in the parliament,” the junta premier said.

So far, he continued, no one has yet proposed to him that he should be an outside PM candidate.

“Since I became PM, I’ve lost all my private life,” he muttered.

According to the 2017 constitution, after an election the parties in the House put forward a list of three PM candidates for a parliamentary vote. If no candidate receives a majority of votes, the Upper and Lower house may jointly “waive” selection of the PM from among party leaders and instead choose an outsider for the role.

With a new election mechanism, the majority of incoming MPs are expected to scatter among middle and small parties, while the whole Senate will be handpicked by the junta body, the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

Given this arithmetic, political observers speculate that the influence of major parties will be weakened following the election and the influence of the junta perpetuated.

Prayut meanwhile doubled down on his recent claim that neither he nor the junta government were military based.

“If we’re really a military government, all of us have to come from the military. Instead, we consist of both military people and civilians because we are under special circumstance,” he said.

He also said criticism against a government headed by him “would not exist” if it really were a strong-handed military government.

“If I really used my power, would politicians be able to talk to me like that?” he asked rhetorically.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30335462

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-05

4 minutes ago, webfact said:

We don’t know what the future will be like,” Prayut said during a New Year’s luncheon.

Oh yes you do.

4 minutes ago, webfact said:

“But the process for becoming an outside PM is laid out by the charter. If parties cannot settle for a certain PM choice in the parliament, the charter opens a way for an outside PM to be proposed.

Then better extend the political ban till the day before the elections, whenever that may be, so you are sure nobody get elected

Do whatever your heart desire Sir. Who's there to stop you when you are so popular and have the corruption agencies and the courts backing you. You can always fall back on another coup if you can't get the premiership. Just keep pushing the envelope to the edge. That's what you do best. But if you have the guts, participate in the election.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“If we’re really a military government, all of us have to come from the military. Instead, we consist of both military people and civilians because we are under special circumstance,” he said.

He also said criticism against a government headed by him “would not exist” if it really were a strong-handed military government.

“If I really used my power, would politicians be able to talk to me like that?” he asked rhetorically.

correct   !!     He is the government and he is the PM.  For the TV complainers and whinges well .... you know what you can do.  Thailand is what it is and the Junta are in control and will be in control for years to come.

Thailand is economically stable and exports are up.  Thailand will continue to develop as projects get completed.

I would hate to whinge & whine each day about the government but some farang have nothing better to do I guess. Why waste your life whinging, why not move to a place you enjoy, life is too short to dislike the country you retire in. lol :jap:

Image result for pics of Khun Prayuth Chan o cha
Edited by steven100

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Nice photo ...........  but wait  !    the TV whingers & nayers told us nobody likes this government  :cheesy: 

Wonder what they were given for being in the photo shoot?

An expensive watch maybe.:cheesy::cheesy:

1 hour ago, SABloke said:

These "journalists" are a big part of the problem.

media.jpg

I worked at both the Bangkok Post and the Nation for many years and I've only met one journalist here that is willing to stick his neck out to report the truth. The others toe the line. They are afraid and they should be because Thailand has a dismal record of journalist murders and disappearances.

"So far, he continued, no one has yet proposed to him that he should be an outside PM candidate. "

And if he doesn't get a "proposal"?

Well he'll just morph back into a soldier.........and make it a "shotgun wedding" (again).

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“This is to eliminate the possibility of coup starting. There won’t be a coup any more since an outside PM will be selected in the parliament,” the junta premier said.

It is the same as a coup if the "outside PM" is military. You haven't eliminated coups, you turned them into a standard operating procedure.

55 minutes ago, steven100 said:

...He is the government and he is the PM.  For the TV complainers and whinges well .... you know what you can do.  Thailand is what it is and the Junta are in control and will be in control for years to come.

Thailand is economically stable and exports are up.  Thailand will continue to develop as projects get completed.

I would hate to whinge & whine each day about the government but some farang have nothing better to do I guess. Why waste your life whinging, why not move to a place you enjoy, life is too short to dislike the country you retire in. lol

Chai yo…as it is written...there are not enough hours in the day, to sing praises to the astounding and limitless accomplishments of the ‘people’s uncle’.

He is truly the incarnation of all that is pure, noble and holy and the world trembles in awe before his unrivaled magnificence. The man’s brilliance knows no bounds and such sublime perfection has surely never before walked the earth in human form. We are surely blessed by the opportunity to live, even for a moment, in the divine light of his sacred benevolence.

But your words of wisdom are wasted on the heathens, infidels, and naysayers. They will never renounce their evil sacrilege, repent their sordid apostasy, nor accept the holy truth. As wicked blasphemers they will forever be denied a place in Thailand’s brilliant future of limitless joy and everlasting happiness.

Edited by Hayduke

19 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Chai yo…as it is written...there are not enough hours in the day, to sing praises to the astounding and limitless accomplishments of the ‘people’s uncle’.

He is truly the incarnation of all that is pure, noble and holy and the world trembles in awe before his unrivaled magnificence. The man’s brilliance knows no bounds and such sublime perfection has surely never before walked the earth in human form. We are surely blessed by the opportunity to live, even for a moment, in the divine light of his sacred benevolence.

But your words of wisdom are wasted on the heathens, infidels, and naysayers. They will never renounce their evil sacrilege, repent their sordid apostasy, nor accept the holy truth. As wicked blasphemers they will forever be denied a place in Thailand’s brilliant future of limitless joy and everlasting happiness.

I also heard that Prayut got 18 holes in one the first time he played golf!

2 hours ago, SABloke said:

These "journalists" are a big part of the problem.

They are not journalists. For the most part they are drawn from families with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. There is a reason why some are shunned by actual journalists from reputable media organizations.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

correct   !!     He is the government and he is the PM.  For the TV complainers and whinges well .... you know what you can do.  Thailand is what it is and the Junta are in control and will be in control for years to come.

I would hate to whinge & whine each day about the government but some farang have nothing better to do I guess. Why waste your life whinging, why not move to a place you enjoy, life is too short to dislike the country you retire in. lol :jap:

Image result for pics of Khun Prayuth Chan o cha

Hello Steven buddy. Can you confirm that you will move from Thailand once a Shin supported administration is back in power?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Not REALLY a military government? What a joke. It doesn't matter if some members are not from the military, it is well and truly a military government. No search warrant is necessary for the police if they are accompanied by military personnel. I had my place searched by police with 2 military personnel present who arrived in a military vehicle... (a nasty Thai neighbor was making up stories).

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Nice photo ...........  but wait  !    the TV whingers & nayers told us nobody likes this government  :cheesy: 

steven,

Sometimes I almost get the impression you take most posts made on TV personally.   I hope that's not true.

Regarding the photo attached to this post I have to say it is  beyond meaningless.

36 minutes ago, tropo said:

Not REALLY a military government? What a joke. It doesn't matter if some members are not from the military, it is well and truly a military government. No search warrant is necessary for the police if they are accompanied by military personnel. I had my place searched by police with 2 military personnel present who arrived in a military vehicle... (a nasty Thai neighbor was making up stories).

Just curious as to if they had a search warrant?    

Did they break down your door?

I recall a Dane  volunteer copper once  telling me horror stories that he was involved with.

I was disappointed to see the  free violation of any civil rights in this country.