Installing Internet into New House

JackScarlett

I wish to install Internet into a new house.  3BB have confirmed that they have coverage at this location using ADSL, they do not have Fibre Optic. The house is 9kms from Namphong which is in Khon Kaen province.

Currently because it is new, the house is not connected by a landline which I believe is necessary for ADSL to travel.

There is a telegraph pole with -all thngs electric- next to the boundary wall of the house.   The house is approx 20 metres from the wall.

Question please:   a) am I correct in thinking a landline is required  añd do 3BB provide it, TOT or do I have to find a private contractor.

Advice will be gratefully received 

Obviously a question for 3BB, but ages ago 3BB would pull copper wire to support DSL only. There would be no need for a "land line", or TOT's involvement.

3BB does offer standard voice/POTs via their fiber service, and their router, so here in Bangkok you can get an 02 nnn-NNNN number, for ~ 49 baht/month, and quite low per minute charges. Good for small businesses.

Other than a VoIP application, I do not believe 3BB offers VoDSL? I don't think they are "approved" by the "authorities" to offer tradition POTs service?

18 hours ago, JackScarlett said:

3BB have confirmed that they have coverage at this location using ADSL, they do not have Fibre Optic

Have you already asked if they have VDSL? That's what 3bb upgraded our house to from ADSL, much better and seems as good as Fibre Optic on basic package 599THB/m for 50mbps.

VDSL is an upgrade of ADSL.   They do have it and it doesn't require fiber.  It is now 599 for 50 mbs.  They charged us 1,200 baht a month for the same product (for a full year)  until I discovered we didn't have Fiber and made them change our bill..........sorry, no refund for you sucker (I think I heard her say this under her breath).  They claimed they had lowered the price just recently..........

Firstly, a landline is used when referring to phone service.  So, to answer your question, 3BB will not connect a landline to your home but will instead string their internet cable from their nearest connection box to your home. They will use the existing electric service poles for their installation. I live in a rural area about 10 km NE of Surin. 3BB strung their cable from the village that is over 1 km away to my house. There was no charge for installation. I paid 1500 baht deposit for the modem and 599 baht plus VAT for first month's service. I have been a subscriber for over 18 months and a satisfied customer. 

3 hours ago, cracker1 said:

3BB connected a Landline to my home for ADSL

Jasmine International which is the parent company of 3BB used to be in partnership with TT&T and provided internet using TT&T's phone system and lines. When they discontinued their partnership about 10 years ago, Jasmine began providing internet as 3BB. They may have continued to use telephone lines for a period of time for older DSL technology, but for VDSL, they use a dedicated cable. The speeds that 3BB now provides cannot be pushed through long cable distances using  ADSL on telephone lines. 

18 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

Firstly, a landline is used when referring to phone service.  So, to answer your question, 3BB will not connect a landline to your home but will instead string their internet cable from their nearest connection box to your home. They will use the existing electric service poles for their installation. I live in a rural area about 10 km NE of Surin. 3BB strung their cable from the village that is over 1 km away to my house. There was no charge for installation. I paid 1500 baht deposit for the modem and 599 baht plus VAT for first month's service. I have been a subscriber for over 18 months and a satisfied customer. 

Up until a couple of years ago I was on TOT ADSL as there was no alternative. When we heard that 3BB were in the area we went along to the office and asked to change, apparently no problem. When the engineers came out they said they were going to put in a new line but they came back and asked if the they could use the TOT landline. I had paid to have that installed so didn't see any problem so they connected to that.

Initially I had signed up for their 15Mbs service but they could not maintain the speed and it kept dropping off so I had to change to their 11Mbs service which is 590 baht/month. This service is better than TOT which was 700 baht/month but not a great deal, at times I only get 2-3Mbs. The engineers have been out and they say there is nothing they can do, we are on the end of a fairly long ADSL line and it all depends on the activity in front of us. It really is a question of take it or leave it.

We continually check with the fibre services but there is no coverage, I can see from the internet that there is coverage alongside the roads but we are just that bit too far away. The only glimmer of hope is that a large residential project is in progress nearby and may bring a new service to the area.

It is very difficult for anyone to comment on what should be available without a site survey.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Up until a couple of years ago I was on TOT ADSL as there was no alternative. When we heard that 3BB were in the area we went along to the office and asked to change, apparently no problem. When the engineers came out they said they were going to put in a new line but they came back and asked if the they could use the TOT landline. I had paid to have that installed so didn't see any problem so they connected to that.

Initially I had signed up for their 15Mbs service but they could not maintain the speed and it kept dropping off so I had to change to their 11Mbs service which is 590 baht/month. This service is better than TOT which was 700 baht/month but not a great deal, at times I only get 2-3Mbs. The engineers have been out and they say there is nothing they can do, we are on the end of a fairly long ADSL line and it all depends on the activity in front of us. It really is a question of take it or leave it.

We continually check with the fibre services but there is no coverage, I can see from the internet that there is coverage alongside the roads but we are just that bit too far away. The only glimmer of hope is that a large residential project is in progress nearby and may bring a new service to the area.

It is very difficult for anyone to comment on what should be available without a site survey.

There is something 3BB engineers can do, but it requires them to remove you from the outdated TOT line and install new cable for their VDSL system. Myself, I would not be paying 590 baht a month for 1/3 the internet speed they advertise for that same price.  I had 3BB installed in June 2016. As I stated in post #6, 3BB strung cable from the village that is over 1 km away to my house. At that the time, I was the only subscriber but now there is another subscriber about 300 meters beyond my home. My initial installation was 20/4 speed for 590 baht, but several months later they offered 30/10 for the same price. I called 1530, 3BB's service number and inquired about upgrading to the new speed. I was transferred to the tech dept. where changes were made to my account. Within minutes I was upgraded. A couple of months later, I started having occasional dropped connections which increased in frequency over time. I reported this to 3BB and they would send a tech, who would test the connection and find nothing wrong. Over the next visits, they first told me too many devices being used at one time. Next visit they replaced the LAN cable from my gaming console claiming that was the problem but overlooked that my laptop was wireless. Every visit they would test and tell me internet working good, never considering my suggestion all along that there was some problem with the main cable. After they replaced the modem which did not fix the issue, I started keeping a time log of each dropped connection and after 1 week I called 1530 again voicing my displeasure. Two days later at about 9 am I went to use my computer and did not have any internet.  About 30minutes later, a vehicle parked in front of the house and it was a 3BB truck. The wife and I went to the gate and the tech told her they were installing a new cable from the village and we would have internet service in about 1 hour. After the new cable has been installed Speedtest displays 33+ down and 13+ up and no signal drop since.  After 3 months of hearing "cable good", a new cable did solve my internet issue. Myself, I would not accept 3BB's excuses but insist that they provide the service I pay for. You saved them time and money by allowing them to use the existing installation and that's all you got.

14 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

There is something 3BB engineers can do, but it requires them to remove you from the outdated TOT line and install new cable for their VDSL system. Myself, I would not be paying 590 baht a month for 1/3 the internet speed they advertise for that same price.  I had 3BB installed in June 2016. As I stated in post #6, 3BB strung cable from the village that is over 1 km away to my house. At that the time, I was the only subscriber but now there is another subscriber about 300 meters beyond my home. My initial installation was 20/4 speed for 590 baht, but several months later they offered 30/10 for the same price. I called 1530, 3BB's service number and inquired about upgrading to the new speed. I was transferred to the tech dept. where changes were made to my account. Within minutes I was upgraded. A couple of months later, I started having occasional dropped connections which increased in frequency over time. I reported this to 3BB and they would send a tech, who would test the connection and find nothing wrong. Over the next visits, they first told me too many devices being used at one time. Next visit they replaced the LAN cable from my gaming console claiming that was the problem but overlooked that my laptop was wireless. Every visit they would test and tell me internet working good, never considering my suggestion all along that there was some problem with the main cable. After they replaced the modem which did not fix the issue, I started keeping a time log of each dropped connection and after 1 week I called 1530 again voicing my displeasure. Two days later at about 9 am I went to use my computer and did not have any internet.  About 30minutes later, a vehicle parked in front of the house and it was a 3BB truck. The wife and I went to the gate and the tech told her they were installing a new cable from the village and we would have internet service in about 1 hour. After the new cable has been installed Speedtest displays 33+ down and 13+ up and no signal drop since.  After 3 months of hearing "cable good", a new cable did solve my internet issue. Myself, I would not accept 3BB's excuses but insist that they provide the service I pay for. You saved them time and money by allowing them to use the existing installation and that's all you got.

That is all very well, but we have been there shouted the odd and the answer is 'no can do', only option is to terminate.

TOT stopped putting lines into this area almost 10 years ago, the one we have wasn't a new line as such, we got it from my father in law's house, they didn't move the wire, I had to pay for a new wire to be put in. At the time TOT said fibre was on its way, and it has to a lot of the area, just not us.

On 1/9/2018 at 9:11 AM, WorriedNoodle said:

Have you already asked if they have VDSL? That's what 3bb upgraded our house to from ADSL, much better and seems as good as Fibre Optic on basic package 599THB/m for 50mbps.

On 1/9/2018 at 1:47 PM, TGIR said:

VDSL is an upgrade of ADSL.   They do have it and it doesn't require fiber.  It is now 599 for 50 mbs.  They charged us 1,200 baht a month for the same product (for a full year)  until I discovered we didn't have Fiber and made them change our bill..........sorry, no refund for you sucker (I think I heard her say this under her breath).  They claimed they had lowered the price just recently..........

How recently did you guys get 50Mbps VDSL for B599 from 3BB?  Their web site and the local Pattaya 3BB shops have been offering only 30Mbps VDSL for B599.  The Pattaya shops were offering 50Mbps (for B799 ISTR...?) up until some time last year, but now their only VDSL product on offer is the 30Mbps package.

3BBVDSL_Package.jpg.c2275807c9dc81b8de0d0c4b5ea93dbd.jpg

12 hours ago, wpcoe said:

How recently did you guys get 50Mbps VDSL for B599 from 3BB?  Their web site and the local Pattaya 3BB shops have been offering only 30Mbps VDSL for B599.  The Pattaya shops were offering 50Mbps (for B799 ISTR...?) up until some time last year, but now their only VDSL product on offer is the 30Mbps package.

Maybe some confusion? FTTx providers (like 3BB and AIS) actually deliver fiber "packages" using fiber to the curb (or building basement), then run VDSL to the home, or up a tall building to an apartment/condo. So some people may be referring to higher speed fiber "packages" which actually use VDSL for delivery.

Evidently, 3BB is utilizing VDSL similarly in more rural areas, choosing to run copper to support VDSL from their nearest fiber POP, as the pt-pt fiber run might be prohibitively expensive?