PM orders check of high food and drink prices at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports

webfact

some bangkok restaurants where you eat pizza charge 80 - 95 baht for a can of coke or sprite. 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a margherita pizza and they do not hold a monopoly..

many airports are typically expensive for food but some notably are not.  delhi india airport food court within secured area has nice food and normal price. also vietnam airports 

On 10/01/2018 at 2:51 PM, rkidlad said:

I used to always eat a Thai meal before I flew back to England, etc. My last bit of Thai food for a few weeks. Last time I paid 260 baht for a kra pow. It wasn't even good. Add to that a few pints in the bar before and you're looking at well over 1000 baht. Now I just pay to enter the lounge. it's about 1000 baht for 2 hours of unlimited food and booze with comfortable chairs and free wifi. The rest of the airport is simply not worth it. 

Go to the basement and ear at the food court

• Like 1

Cheeseburger  at LAX in Los Angeles $10.00, Sandwich at JFK in New York, $11.00. Doesn't surprise me at all that the Thais have learned a valuable a long standing tenet of economics. Price is what the market will bear. Not saying it's right, just saying 40 baht for bottle water is in line with that kind of thinking. 

On 1/10/2018 at 8:46 AM, shady86 said:

Consumers can decide which shop to patronize but water should be give free or sold at reasonable price because it cannot be brought in.

Water from the Family Mart is still at reasonable prices, they have at least 2 locations inside the main terminal. But if you visit one of the many small restaurants you can expect water to be a lot higher in price. 

4 hours ago, SunsetT said:

But unlike most international airports Suvarnabhumi has a huge food hall at one end of the 1st Floor where all the normal Thai fare is on offer at only slightly more than outside prices. Also, at the other end, if you go outside and walk, at the end is a staff restaurant, where u can eat cheaply inside or outside in a pleasant quiet open garden area. If u want beer u can bring it from Family Mart upstairs or 7/11 downstairs.

Similarly, at Don Muang there is also a good cheap Thai food hall, albeit much smaller, hidden behind 7/11.

Cheers I'll look out for it next time I'm their

Its all becoming rather sad really. He is now like the lonely 'didn't quite make it' who is sat on the quayside watching the cruise ship set sail without him. I am sure that companies like King Power cultivate their own generals and he lacks so much dynamism that he seems to be only able to tackle one issue at a time. He has left so many things so late, which he should have completed when the sun was shining on his back, that he is now in the position where he will just receive lip service, the ship will pass the horizon and then as he frantically tries to paddle after it the sharks will move in for their dinner. The only thing that he got right was that the Thais really can't deal with democracy but then he got that wrong by promising them democratic elections. The only move left is to grow a moustache, get a walking stick and make a black and white comedy. It seems he was never in the right club and of all the fools that surrounded him none of them even had the decency to wear a multi-coloured jingly hat to make it obvious. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Zack61 said:

There are very few airports that don’t gouge the hell out of their patrons. Thailand is no different

In Thailand it is one family, sorry, company, which has the monopoly for about all the 'commercial space' (not only the, ...so-called, 'duty free' shops!) of all airports. Same-same as in other countries would you say?

I'd say: very different, in all countries I know about, outside the few where a state-run company runs such activities on its own, there are contracts granted to the highest bidder, for relatively short terms (like max. 10 years), and fractioned per very specific activity (even the DF sales being split), rarely for more than a single airport at a time...

Would you be a football fan? Of Leicester possibly?

3 hours ago, Zack61 said:

There are very few airports that don’t gouge the hell out of their patrons. Thailand is no different

As for patrons being gouged inside most airports, you are, unfortunately, right.

Most states/airport operators have been feasting on that 'mana' for a very long time.

Business operators having won a contract(!) not only paying high rents, but, mostly, having to shed a high percentage of their gross profit, or on their turnover, to the state/airport operator, just leaving the business operators with a calculated net margin to still keep it interesting for them (not wanting to tell here about some bookkeeping tricks often used by operators I know too well about)...

Making that the prices charged for about any item are, not even totally duty-free compared to the best buys outside the airports (minus the refund of the local VAT).

Another difference is that the rent and other fees to be paid(?!) by King Power, to AoT when I'm correct, are quite low, compared to other airports outside Thailand I know about...!

With their very high prices on top of it, be sure they really make a fortune here. No wonder they are one of the most wealthy families here...

As for the 'small operators', like in catering, they sub-lease to (there is no other choice when you want to have a business inside an airport here, as KP has ALL the commercial space in its hands...), oh yes, those are squeezed to the last drop, which explains the horrendous prices!   

Edited by bangrak

On 1/10/2018 at 2:34 PM, greeneking said:

Isn't granting monopolies to your friends the Thai way of business?  Why stop here.....if anyone is serious?

Who is friends then with Burger King, McDonalds, Coffee Club, 7-11 etc etc etc. How are they monopolies when there are so many food and drink outlets? The PM wouldn't know this because he never has to pay for anything at airports, but ALL airports charge high prices because of the high rent they have to pay.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Who is friends then with Burger King, McDonalds, Coffee Club, 7-11 etc etc etc. How are they monopolies when there are so many food and drink outlets? The PM wouldn't know this because he never has to pay for anything at airports, but ALL airports charge high prices because of the high rent they have to pay.

For your better understanding, please, do me the favour to read my #161 and #162 just before your post. In a nutshell, the monopoly on commercial spaces belongs(!) to King Power, the catering businesses you name have to sub-rent from them...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, midas said:

They confiscate the water you bought at 7/11 for 7 baht and then after you pass through security there isn't a single brand of locally bottled water from Thailand. It's all this Evian and other imported brands. Why do they have to do that? It's a complete set up:bah:

So untrue. A large (1.5l) local water is 100 Baht in most shops. There is also small bottles at around 20 Baht each in vending machines.

Edited by wump

Why not the PM order the Airport (swampy) to widely advertise to all passengers, that they have a choice of vendor outlets? 

-  there's that nice, much cheaper, local food Cafeteria downstairs nearer to the Rail Station 

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Delays aside - if you're daft enough to eat at an airport, you deserve what you get. You can plan to eat before travelling to the airport and take something from a 7/11 to the airport for before check in if hungry. You are probably only waiting 2-3 hours max for the plane anyway - and most of us will be on long haul with a meal served basically after take off. How many of us don't eat the free meal on the plane as we're too full of 'moan about rip-off ground food'.

I agree with you.  My plane from CM is at 7 am.  There is a lounge with food and drink before I start.   Then we are fed as soon as we take off.  The same thing on the next plane from Swampy.  All I have to do is make sure that I have a coffee around 4.30-5.00 am. It's the same on the return flight.  Bangkok Airways have a lounge at Swampy just near the CM gate.

1 hour ago, wump said:

So untrue. A large (1.5l) local water is 100 Baht in most shops. There is also small bottles at around 20 Baht each in vending machines.

Well the Japanese don't seem to agree with you?:giggle:

An article by a Japanese travel website Thaich.net, received attention in Thai social media after it featured snaps of water bottles at Don Mueang Airport that cost THB40 and THB45 baht, about five times higher than the market price of THB9.

Govt to inspect overpriced water at Bangkok airports after slammed by Japanese media

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/govt-inspect-overpriced-water-bangkok-airports-slammed-japanese-media/

The coffee shop at Don Muang outside the int. check-in section......embarrasing. They do not give you pricing / menu and an espresso bad quality in the exhaust fumes; 150 thb. Thanks to our flexible general (from carton to Yingluck to airport prices) this will change soon.

1 hour ago, Boatfreak said:

The food court downstairs has food and beer at 40 baht nothing wrong.

However it is not much use when you are Airside and waiting for a flight which is suddenly much more delayed than advertised...

• Like 1

This isn't new News!  For some time, airports around the world have had a high pricing model on products/services available to the consumer.  The rent and other fees associated with the privilege of doing business there are passed on to the consumer for sure.  We all know why this is in the news; but it shouldn't be.  Forty baht for a water isn't that expensive in the overall scheme of things.  Like it was mentioned earlier, you can take an empty container with you and fill it with fountain water at most airports after you are checked through security; convenient, no, doable, yes.  

Edited by waders123

On 1/10/2018 at 1:51 AM, rkidlad said:

I used to always eat a Thai meal before I flew back to England, etc. My last bit of Thai food for a few weeks. Last time I paid 260 baht for a kra pow. It wasn't even good. ...

Burger King Double Whopper Combo:  505b  ($16.29 USD)

Price in the USA:  $7.59USD

I can't remember what I pay in Pattaya for the same thing ...

No, it is not expensive ... is it?   :)