Soi Bukaw

Destiny1990

13 minutes ago, Sunak said:

Yes, whenever possible walk on the right.

I remember two cases of pedestrians killed on 2nd rd but not on Soi Buakhao.

Although some big bike hools seem to work on that :angry:

I am always stunned how few accidents happen in this chaos (like Soi Diana [Lengkee]/Soi Buakhao).

I'm not gonna lie. I love walking round that area. People zipping around, the whole place has a buzz.  It's what makes it what it is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Some people don't find a day complete without kvetching about something.

I don't feel the need to walk down Soi Buakhao often, but when I have done I  never felt doing so was particularly life threatening. 

Logic would indicate that he find somewhere else to walk or take a song Taeow or hire a motorcy taxi (all of which provide their own thrills) rather than blathering on about his rights.

Nanny state mentality run amok. Whine and expect Big Brother to intervene in every aspect of your life.

I could stay in UK for that! :sad:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

When I was young my parents taught me to always walk on the side of the road facing the oncoming traffic, my problem now is that I live in Thailand and I cannot walk on both sides of the road at the same time

Just "tear along the dotted line"! :sorry:

5 hours ago, Kevbo said:

but I personally don't want it made one way, it is convenient for me to go both ways on the baht bus ....

They could always loop the baht buses going South on Buakhao and North on 3rd Road.  That would build up a lot of business for shops on 3rd Road.  

Baht bus route proposal - going South on Beach Road and Soi Buakhao.  Going North on 2nd and 3rd Road.

30 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

They could always loop the baht buses going South on Buakhao and North on 3rd Road.  That would build up a lot of business for shops on 3rd Road.  

Baht bus route proposal - going South on Beach Road and Soi Buakhao.  Going North on 2nd and 3rd Road.

I seem to recall something similar to this was proposed last year.

Along with stopping Baht Buses.

I say leave it as it is - it might be chaotic but it's part of the area's character along with silly drunks, annoying lady-boys, awful music from GoGos ...and I love it! :clap2:

As @AlexCanada said you can walk along 2nd or 3rd Roads.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, VBF said:

I seem to recall something similar to this was proposed last year.

Along with stopping Baht Buses.

I say leave it as it is - it might be chaotic but it's part of the area's character along with silly drunks, annoying lady-boys, awful music from GoGos ...and I love it! :clap2:

As @AlexCanada said you can walk along 2nd or 3rd Roads.

Agree, something else to consider is making it one way would increase the speed of traffic, making it more dangerous to cross, as in 2nd road......

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Not so long ago girls feared to walk down Soi Bua Khao for fear of having their bags snatched etc Just a dirt road.

It only opened up because the cheap charlies started to move there. There is nothing to see there. Why should it be pedestrianised? 

If you like Europe so much, perhaps you should holiday there...... or just avoid Soi Bua Khao. It is what it is. Stop complaining.

Well it is the busiest area in Pattaya during the day now, with a multitude of places to stay and eat, even at night there is quite a collection of bars and GGBs for nightime entertainment. The OP is correct, no pavements, and 2 way traffic, delivery trucks, baht buses stopping where they like etc. pedestrians have no place to walk and drivers are aggravated by them and become impatient. There was talk of removing baht buses a while back, and they do indeed contribute to the traffic problems, but then tourists cannot get around, and let us face it, they are safer in one. The area also floods badly in heavy rain!

I think the OP is valid comment. The Thai solution is do nothing,

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

TBH If your walking you curse the traffic , if your on a bike/car you curse the pedestrians . When Im on my motorbike I travel very slowly looking out for everything . The thing I see a lot of is a dippy old farrang wandering in the middle of the road, looking the wrong way , seemingly unaware of any traffic . Most times its his much sharper Thai GF/ Wife etc that pulls him or steers him away . 

31 minutes ago, Rolanddrums said:

TBH If your walking you curse the traffic , if your on a bike/car you curse the pedestrians . When Im on my motorbike I travel very slowly looking out for everything . The thing I see a lot of is a dippy old farrang wandering in the middle of the road, looking the wrong way , seemingly unaware of any traffic . Most times its his much sharper Thai GF/ Wife etc that pulls him or steers him away . 

Some people need to curse at something. If I'm walking I'm enjoying the buzz of how busy it is. If I'm on a motorbike same. I think many just sit at bars along the way day on day enjoying the same, people watching. 

Why try and ban something because a few want something different. 

If it don't suit find an alternative road. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2018 at 12:21 PM, KneeDeep said:

Not so long ago girls feared to walk down Soi Bua Khao for fear of having their bags snatched etc Just a dirt road.

It only opened up because the cheap charlies started to move there. There is nothing to see there. Why should it be pedestrianised? 

If you like Europe so much, perhaps you should holiday there...... or just avoid Soi Bua Khao. It is what it is. Stop complaining.

"It only opened up because the cheap charlies started to move there."  That's going a bit far, it all kicked off when LK bulldozed the land at the top of Soi Diana and put up that fairly large development around Soi LK, about 14 years now.  Baht cabs have always run both ways but these days it can sometimes be over half an hour from one end to the other. I would agree that something needs to be done to ease the congestion.

I am not advocating pavements, I doubt they would do much good. There didn't used to be a pavement on the other side of the road from the night market. When they did put the pavement there I would use that rather than the one in front of the night market, too much merchandise on that one, then one evening I got hit from behind by a motorbike on the pavement.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

"It only opened up because the cheap charlies started to move there."  That's going a bit far, it all kicked off when LK bulldozed the land at the top of Soi Diana and put up that fairly large development around Soi LK, about 14 years now.  Baht cabs have always run both ways but these days it can sometimes be over half an hour from one end to the other. I would agree that something needs to be done to ease the congestion.

I am not advocating pavements, I doubt they would do much good. There didn't used to be a pavement on the other side of the road from the night market. When they did put the pavement there I would use that rather than the one in front of the night market, too much merchandise on that one, then one evening I got hit from behind by a motorbike on the pavement.

Funny how peoples' historical recolleciton of a place seems to start when they first encountered it.....Buakhao had alot happening more than 14 years ago, well b4 soi LK metro. 

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, toughlove said:

A man who is tire of soi Buakhao ends up daily, unshaven, unwashed in one of the hundred bars with a thousand yard stare emoji22.png

LOL. Given the amount of CO that the barflies along Buakhao must breath in their sojurn, I wonder if they have a desire to pass on sooner, rather than later.

It used to be OK to walk down the street back I would say 2006 or earlier.  Since then, the traffic just doesn't stop.  Heck, look at Soi Yume.  Used to be mostly dirt and I would walk it often as a buddy of mine used to always stay down at Nantana.Now it is wall to wall shops

15 hours ago, torrzent said:

Funny how peoples' historical recolleciton of a place seems to start when they first encountered it.....Buakhao had alot happening more than 14 years ago, well b4 soi LK metro. 

Funny how people jump to conclusions.

On 11/01/2018 at 10:33 PM, jacko45k said:

Well it is the busiest area in Pattaya during the day now, with a multitude of places to stay and eat, even at night there is quite a collection of bars and GGBs for nightime entertainment. The OP is correct, no pavements, and 2 way traffic, delivery trucks, baht buses stopping where they like etc. pedestrians have no place to walk and drivers are aggravated by them and become impatient. There was talk of removing baht buses a while back, and they do indeed contribute to the traffic problems, but then tourists cannot get around, and let us face it, they are safer in one. The area also floods badly in heavy rain!

I think the OP is valid comment. The Thai solution is do nothing,

So what is your solution, Gringo? Clear it all away and start again with a wider road?

15 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

So what is your solution, Gringo? Clear it all away and start again with a wider road?

If only, I always walk toward the oncoming traffic, at least it gives you a fighting chance of survival.

Normally though, I just hop on a Baht Bus.

• Like 1

Banning the food carts being pushed around and create baht bus stops so they don't literally stop every 20 feet and for God's sake remove the silly " up and down the but stop only" (sic)
Signs and replace with a meaningful message. 10,000 farang and the Thais are to proud to get a sign proof read!

If anything needs to happen to happen to Soi Buakhao the OP needs to be banned from it! This has been my favorite Soi since 1992, and the widening has helped which was done a little over 10 years ago; so now leave it be!

When streets become busy the Pattaya officials turn it into a 1 way street. We have enough of them already, beach rd and 2nd are without much character and dangerous to cross. 2nd was better before they changed it to 1 way and I am still bitter about it.

My only complaint about buakhao is when I am in my car and people walk 2 or 3 abreast, and I'm not talking about only the Indians. People walking along the side single file, I have no problem stopping for in congested spots when I have to. 

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:06 PM, AlexCanada said:

You can walk along 2nd Road or 3rd Road.  Both about a 2 minute walk away from Soi Buakhao.  Both have sidewalks.

2 minute walk 555555555555555

OK, lets assume it is about 5 minutes walking fast. 

To get to the hotel I use there I'd have to walk along Buakhao anyway as the place is between side roads connecting to 2nd and 3rd. Not much point.

Anyway, the connecting roads are just as dangerous.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1