"We've got used to this kind of terrible, selfish driving in Thailand", says Thai media

webfact

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Just stupid putting those buses on a route with a long winding hill. I'd say the driver had no choice its all about revs on a hill for lorries also. If you slow down and you revs drop you could quite likely stall and not be able to restart (Drivers mate when I left school at 15)

Slow down and change gear down to match the bus in front until a safe overtaking stretch becomes available. It is not rocket science.  

53 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

What should he have done?

1. not cross the middle line
  2. not overtake in that area
  3. not overtake another bus
  4. not go there with a bus
  5. not drive at all (most important)

Simple answer don't use double deck coaches on long steep hills they know the route its not like the hill is big surprise

1. Teach road safety in School

2. Introduce something called a driving test on the road, to replace the joke one

3. Safety campaign on the TV in the middle of all lakorn and game shows

4. Enforce the law

Edited by Orton Rd

17 minutes ago, davidill said:

Slow down and change gear down to match the bus in front until a safe overtaking stretch becomes available. It is not rocket science.  

Yeah looking closely at that road he's has come out of a left hand curve going into the right hand curve maybe he saw him too late or wasn't competent enough to change down

1 hour ago, USPatriot said:

The lorrie, semi truck in fron of me did that. Wife: what are you doing, me: he isnt going to make it so i backed up and turned around waited for him to back down the hill then turnedbaround again and went on my way, most drivers had no idea he was backing up, down hill. Interesting to watch and i wasnt going to pass up hill on a curve and be the next news story

I was in Patong when the Tsunami hit and we got evacuated in a Hiab (Lorry with crane) around 30 people in the back and it stopped as we were going up a steep hill and started to roll back. The applied the handbrake and we had to another lorry to pull start us up the hill

Yes Thais are used to it, it causes accidents, injuries and deaths. BUT do the POLICE enforce the laws....NO. Are the penalties severe enough ....NO

About time Thais woke up and demanded better enforcement, demand small things like Tacographs WHICH CAN TELL EVERYOHNE WHAT THE VEHICLE WAS DOING AND LASTLY better driving tests .

until THEN WILL THAIS PLEASE STOP SAYING IDIOTIC THINGS LIKE THE BUSES SHOULD NOT BE THERE, THE DRIVERS NEED TO BE TESTED.

Any good driver knows it is wrong, the police do not enforce even if seen. Life just DOES NOT MATTER HERE !!!

Edited by Khun Paul
Spelling mistakes

6 hours ago, Darcula said:

Yeah, mai pen rai. Nothing to see here.

I can put up with most of the Thai driving antics but my nearest 7/11 is 5 km away on a mildly winding road and I need to avoid accidents with about 50% of them on every right hand bend because they cannot stay on their side of the road. No mai pen rai from me.

6 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Just stupid putting those buses on a route with a long winding hill. I'd say the driver had no choice its all about revs on a hill for lorries also. If you slow down and you revs drop you could quite likely stall and not be able to restart (Drivers mate when I left school at 15)

I believe it would be more accurate to say the buses (& trucks) are under-powered for the routes they need to take, not only are they under-powered they have total brainless idiots driving them and owners getting rich as they are allowed to run pieces of crap on the 'public" highways! driven by morons! TIT

3 hours ago, Dave67 said:

So what should he have done then slowed down and stalled it on the hill making all other traffic go round onto the other lane? Those coaches' crawl uphill when fully loaded

Why would he have stalled it? even if he'd have to go down in to first that's the way the cookie crumbles, don't you think they have  buses and trucks in Switzerland, Nepal and other mountainous countries?

Dave67, Sorry mate, you are way off mark with your comments on here, I was driving coaches through Austria and Italy back in the early 80's, 5 speed manual gearbox, brand new Bedfords with no guts, but we got up those hills/mountains that are way higher than anything that Thailand has to offer. To put it bluntly, the pricks here do not have a clue how to drive full stop. That's why they are number one in the world and will stay there till the end of time.

Oh, and just to add, I personally have not got used to or accept their stupid driving, moron is a much under used word in the context of Thai drivers.

Edited by Golden Triangle

See this crap just about every day. Still blows me away, there's no getting used to it. I have to call foul on this "we've got used to this " bulls! !t!

Now what happens when you have a motorcycle in your shoulder when one of these retards is in your lane on a blind corner? 

Out of all the wreckless crap on the roads here, this behaviour is what needs to be dealt with! ASAP !

5 hours ago, Dave67 said:

I was in Patong when the Tsunami hit and we got evacuated in a Hiab (Lorry with crane) around 30 people in the back and it stopped as we were going up a steep hill and started to roll back. The applied the handbrake and we had to another lorry to pull start us up the hill

Glad you got out safe, yhe ride was probibly more dangerous 

16 hours ago, Dave67 said:

your kidding RIGHT? or stupid like the driver of the bus.

My every 3mo, 1 day up and back, visa run driving to Mae Sai from Chiang Mai is never a dull one.  I usually put on some calming ambient music, practice deep breathing exercises for 20 min, make sure the Will is left out on the kitchen table for the wife, make peace with the almighty (hang a bunch of amulets from the rear view mirror just in case), and then back out of the driveway to go.  Wife always has 4 large ice cold (only way you can drink it) Chang's in the fridge and nothing else planned for the evening upon my return.  I then wait 2 days before any doctor visit to allow my blood pressure to return to normal.

I used to use a minibus service until I realized that I was actually contributing to upping the odds of a negative highway statistic by doing so.

On 1/18/2018 at 2:44 PM, Lupatria said:

Now I understand why they asked men to make more children, somehow they have to fill the gap due to road fatalities.

But driving a motorbike in Thailand is a form of population control.

22 minutes ago, pennine said:

One of my favourites is when a vehicle stops to let you out of a side road, then a motorbike overtakes the stopped vehicle at speed just as you drive out...

As much as it goes against the grain I never stop for a pedestrian on a zebra crossing, slow down yes. Previously I stopped to let a pedestrian cross only to see another car pass me at speed and nearly take out the pedestrian. Stopping is far more dangerous (for the pedestrian) than not stopping.

On 19/01/2018 at 3:12 AM, DrPhibes said:

My every 3mo, 1 day up and back, visa run driving to Mae Sai from Chiang Mai is never a dull one.  I usually put on some calming ambient music, practice deep breathing exercises for 20 min, make sure the Will is left out on the kitchen table for the wife, make peace with the almighty (hang a bunch of amulets from the rear view mirror just in case), and then back out of the driveway to go.  Wife always has 4 large ice cold (only way you can drink it) Chang's in the fridge and nothing else planned for the evening upon my return.  I then wait 2 days before any doctor visit to allow my blood pressure to return to normal.

I used to use a minibus service until I realized that I was actually contributing to upping the odds of a negative highway statistic by doing so.

" I used to use a minibus service until I realized that I was actually contributing to upping the odds of a negative highway statistic by doing so.".....as is backing out of your driveway.

Once again it is a matter of enforcement 

The cops would rather stop 10 motorcycles without helmets @ 100 Baht than one bus for 1,000 Baht because they don't know what hi so person owns the bus company

Until they install recorders that are routinely checked by traffic enforcement officers like in the West then commercial vehicles will continue to lead the way for carnage here in Thailand