Amex Card in Thailand

I have American Express card from Canada. I am now on their site and can see that they support applications from Thailand.

Apparently all I need to apply for Amex in Thailand is:

An eligible American Express Card

A home address in your new country

A home phone number in your new country

It surely can't be that simple.

Has anyone done this?

Had a look a while back and when you start to fill in the application it asks for your work permit, never mentions this anywhere until you open up the form to fill in. At least it did, maybe it has changed recently but I doubt it

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I speak from experience. Not many places accept AMEX in Thailand.

What do you regard as “not many?
Whilst I accept probably not as many accept Amex as Visa, many of the restaurants I use accept it, and not all high class, supermarkets, airlines including Air Asia, Thai and Thai Smile, some gas stations, many hotels, Agoda, and booking agents, shopping malls, etc etc, and I speak from experience.

On 1/18/2018 at 4:09 PM, topt said:

I briefly looked at this some years ago but was concerned that they would stop my UK card if I gave them a Thai address. Would also be interested to hear if anybody else has done this.

I did it many years ago. I'd had a foreign Amex card for 20 years and got a no-questions-asked Thai card through membership of a club here. Never had any problems with holding two cards.

4 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

Can I ask you, what do you mean with ' through membership of a club here' ?

It was a promo Amex had for club members, presumably a way of recruiting new card subscribers in the business community. I think I also got the foreign Amex card in the same way.