Video: Selfish Thais slammed by their own people for not getting out of the way of an ambulance

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, I thought the same, the OP doesnt mention having a siren on. In the rear vision mirror its just a van with 4 way flashers on. 

"In the rear vision mirror its just a van with 4 way flashers on".

It is very obvious that it is an ambulance, not just a van, because they have the word "AMBULANCE" across the bonnet and numerous flashing blue lights , just as the one in this thread is displaying.  Considering that the video is taken from a following vehicle, with the occupants talking and the TV commentators prattling away over them it's not surprising that the siren (which is probably being used) may not be heard.

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Just that the OP says "emergency vehicle, with its lights flashing and an injured person on-board" , no mention of siren on.

In Australia you see ambulances with just the flashing lights and no siren, I had always taken that to mean they are going somewhere but not urgent.

I was once told by a friend who is a nurse in Australia, that with some patients that they don't always use the siren. For instance with serious head injuries the siren may cause further injury. Also they may travel slowly if they have a patient with neck / spinal injury. If they are stopped on the side of the road with lights flashing, with both attendants in the back, they are probably trying to revive a patient. The use of sirens and the speed they travel are case dependant.    

I must be the luckiest bloke on here, then. Round my way the locals shift out of the way of ambulances sharpish. Obviously I cannot comment on each and every case, but they do seem to facilitate the passage of emergency vehicles as best as they can.

It's long been a "pet peeve" of mine, but I must admit that over the last year or so road users have been getting better.

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just another ridiculous Thai news story. Less than a minute of actual story then fill the rest. Can't tell if the ambo is using siren so Thai drivers ahead who only use rear view mirror to look at themselves may not even realise it's there. From what I've seen most try and get out of the way but sometimes it's just not possible for a while due to traffic density or no place to pull over.

I think this is the sort of thing that needs to start happening more in Thai society. I think Thais need to start publicly shaming each other over the way they drive.

Thais not pulling over for an ambulance, driving the wrong way down the road and pulling out in front of cars without looking all these actions are very dangerous and cost people their lives on a daily basis, but Thais continue to do this because they feel that they are acceptable driving practices and don't realize they are putting lives in danger before it's too late.

I feel that publicly shaming these idiots is the only way they will respond. Thais really don't like loosing face (even though they are so good at it) and I feel if there were shaming campaigns done about people driving like idiots, the standard of driving would improve.

Not like the Thais are scared of a little fine at a check point and these are all rules that rarely get enforced, as Thai police wait at a check points and rarely enforce moving traffic infractions.

The police have proved that enforcement will not improve the standard of driving, I think it's the public's turn.

PS. I have been here for a long time and realize I'm dreaming if I think anything can change. But, if everyone started publicly shaming idiot drivers, maybe the next generation of drivers MIGHT be SLIGHTLY respectful and aware of their actions.

My guess is that 95% of the Thais drive like inconsiderate a-holes in such a situation. So there is also a 95% chance the patient in the ambulance belongs to that category (assuming he/she has a car or motorbike).

As the Thais say: " som nam naa" (you deserve it).

You all created this shitty society, now live in it.

1 hour ago, Idiotabroad said:

- -snip - -

PS. I have been here for a long time and realize I'm dreaming if I think anything can change. But, if everyone started publicly shaming idiot drivers, maybe the next generation of drivers MIGHT be SLIGHTLY respectful and aware of their actions.

I think a lot of things are slowly changing in this society, slowly but perceptibly. Thais may not be better educated (now that's a whole new topic) but they are better informed, largely due to social media, and that is starting to have an affect on habits and behavior.

I have seen this happen a few times locally, thai drivers have the attitude that they have the right to do as they please and refuse to move for anyone or give way when required to by law. Problem is how do you stop this sort of thing when the police refuse to go out on the roads to patrol, then of course there is the fact that most thai drivers are not aware of the road laws or simply ignore them because they think that they are nor important than everyone else, the arrogance displayed is pretty bad. A day doesnt go by when I see thai drivers/riders completely ignoring the road rules and doing what ever they want, total ignorance is no excuse, those blocking any emergency vehicles need to have their cars seized and lose their licences if they actually have one

Yes, I agree with everyone's view on here about the, at times, poor response to ambulances with their emergency lights/sirens on.  I believe there are three solutions.  1)  It must be included in all learner driver training and there should be good quality videos shown on TV, not only telling people to give way, but have actors showing the consequence of not doing so and saying......."this could be your Mum, your Dad or your Brother/Sister needing urgent treatment and by giving the ambulance priority on the road, you help their case immensely".   2)  Fines for not giving the ambulance priority need to be increased 10 fold and if the guilty party is unable to pay, they go to prison for a couple of months.  3)  All ambulances shoudl be fitted with a gopro camera, which in the event of being obstructed by another road user, they show the police for them to take action.  Funny old thing, there are some of the drivers on Samui who are so (over) polite that they stop on the major road to let others in from a minor road, causing a tail-back and endangering other road users, particularly motor bikes who may be unaware that someone is filter on to the major road.........but I am sure many could go on and on and on and on about driving in Thailand.    I think a greater police presence on the roads would also help.

When there is a cement truck coming the other way in the wrong lane they move over quick-sharpish. So I can only conclude that it is an attitude of self before others.

Having said that, I have noticed that things have improved slightly over the years in Pattaya. On a couple of occasions recently I have seen busy traffic on Sukhumvit road part to make an extra lane and allow ambulances through.

It is getting better. I drive regularly on Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok and although it's difficult to move out of the way sometimes, people tend to try unlike years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Last year on Phuket, a man succumbed to his injuries after an accident. Nobody moved out of the way. The family is now laying charges as they know who all the vehicles are, due to the many cctv cameras covering most of Tepkassitri Road.

As a comentator says, ambulance drivers should be taught when and where to use their sirens.

I drove a big rescue vehicle for 24 years, but I also had a loud hailer speaker on the front, so that made it easier to tell people to move out of the way.

I told many people to scoot.

16 hours ago, luk AJ said:

To give way, I think ambulance need to use siren.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Absolutely, if not it may be empty and simply going home, in case of emergency every ambulance in the world uses the siren.

16 hours ago, overherebc said:

Might sound harsh but I really want to read a story about someone not pulling out of the way and then finding out it was his mother/wife/child who was dying in the ambulance.

.... and finally died as a direct result of his (her) selfishness. Carry that burden for the rest of your life!

500 bht, I'm laughing, it should be at least 5000Bht and it should be enforced and supported by police, an dash cam to proove it would be of great help to the ambudriver. It seems to me that khon thais has absolutely no resoect for ambulances