Ukrainian man tested for drugs, alcohol after Russian women killed in Phuket head-on collision

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

For sure air bags are fitted.  Work ..... ??

Yikes - that's a worry. But I thought they were automatic to go off in a crash like this one.

Edited by lvr181
Grammar correction

3 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Was the van driver tested? What is his Nationality ?as if I didn't know ?

Give it a rest nothing to indicate many people prime target Thai driver. Believed they think car driver speeding and lost control. The I hate Thai bunch raise their head on this one

5 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Give it a rest nothing to indicate many people prime target Thai driver. Believed they think car driver speeding and lost control. The I hate Thai bunch raise their head on this one

Test everybody every chance you get, an absolute must after a fatal

If they test positive get the scum off the road to help protect the rest of us

Sorry got carried away there

15 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Yikes - that's a worry. But I thought they were automatic to go off in a crash like this one.

That's the theory ... but how does that average joe test that without an actual crash. Then you have the faulty device issue - for example Takata Company. 

9 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Hard to say for sure, but it seems seatbelts could have saved these lives. The cab of the car is relatively intact, the crumple zone did it's job.

A better driver would also have made  a difference.

Its not the crush that kills, it’s the impact, cars crush to absorb some impact but over 70kph you will not be walking away regardless of how good the cab area looks. By 70kph it also means 2 cars head on doing 36kph each. Seatbelts May saved lives but driving on the correct side of the road would have saved more.

7 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

That's the theory ... but how does that average joe test that without an actual crash. Then you have the faulty device issue - for example Takata Company. 

Takata airbags deploy, they just send shards of plastic into you at high speeds. 

4 hours ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

I can't see how that happened. The cabin of the car is undamaged and the windscreen is still intact. Were they wearing seat belts? That would explain a head strike. I'm sure that vehicle has air bags. Very strange. RIP to the women.

If you have the 2 ladies sitting in the back without wearing their seat belts then you are looking at a severe head strike on the back of the front seats, remember that airbags are only fitted in the front. If the car was not fitted with airbags and 1 lady was sitting in the front then she would have gone through the windscreen. At a guess I would say that both ladies were in the back

1 hour ago, Will E Vormer said:

I'll leave you to run your life via assumptions, Steve.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Strange post, you're the one making the assumption here.

But enough, no point in talking to those who don't listen.

Edited by stevenl

12 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I guess the 'average joe' doesn't test. That is up to the testing authorities. But the Thai authorities, being smart like they are, will evaluate why the airbags did not go off - assuming they were fitted.

I thought the fault with the Takata bags is that they went off - when not required to do so. Hence the recalls.

7 hours ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

I can't see how that happened. The cabin of the car is undamaged and the windscreen is still intact. Were they wearing seat belts? That would explain a head strike. I'm sure that vehicle has air bags. Very strange. RIP to the women.

Kinetic energy does it, especially to older, less robust people. The occupants continue to travel forward at the speed the (speeding) car was going when it came to a dead stop until they hit something solid in the car.  That kills.

2 hours ago, cat handler said:

Its not the crush that kills, it’s the impact, cars crush to absorb some impact but over 70kph you will not be walking away regardless of how good the cab area looks. By 70kph it also means 2 cars head on doing 36kph each. Seatbelts May saved lives but driving on the correct side of the road would have saved more.

And yet the driver survived!

Perhaps he used his seatbelt, and the crumple zone which is designed to lessen the impact, did it's job for him.

(Incidentally 2 times 36 is 72.)

3 hours ago, lvr181 said:

I don't see any airbags? Not fitted to Thai cars?

Do you have some special kind of vision that lets you see through the dark tinted windows and closed doors that allow nothing to be seen from the photos or have you seen other pics that no one else has? 

3 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Ever seen any reports of air bags being known not to deploy?   No, me neither.

The Takata bags were not disabled by their fault, they caused bits of metal to be fired towards occupants in a relatively very small number of cases.

10 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

And yet the driver survived!

Perhaps he used his seatbelt, and the crumple zone which is designed to lessen the impact, did it's job for him.

(Incidentally 2 times 36 is 72.)

The airbag probably had something to do with his survival also.

Being head on its possible that the rear passenger wasnt wearing a belt and smashed into the seat of the lady in front. Thats quite a common cause of fatalities for front passengers.

You can be pushed forward too close to the exploding air bag, and as the person flies forward their head can easily miss the front head rest and hit the back of the head of a person in the front

10 hours ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

I'm sure that vehicle has air bags. Very strange. RIP to the women.

Nissan Almeira , the cheapest models are sold without air bags . Yes , that's right , this is Thailand and you can save around 40k for choosing the cheapest model .  Then maybe they did not wear the seat belts , so would explain why they died.  

15 hours ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

A seat belt or air bags are not a life saver in all situations, at high speed,even if the seat belt stops you being thrown forwards, the brain is still travelling at that speed and will smash into the skull.

16 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

A seat belt or air bags are not a life saver in all situations, at high speed,even if the seat belt stops you being thrown forwards, the brain is still travelling at that speed and will smash into the skull.

"...the brain is still travelling at that speed and will smash into the skull."

This is Thailand - what brain are you talking about? :cheesy:

A general crash comment - not just specific to Ukrainian. I agree with your comment, just that I saw a funny side.

12 hours ago, cat handler said:

No. Two equally weighted cars head on collision at 36Km/h gives same impacts to each car separately as one car gets in a head on collision at 36Km/h to a brick wall aka sudden stop.

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

Or they'll talk about personal choice or freedoms 

Yup. At financial cost to others. Maybe I should have said stupid and irresponsible.

Silly me - must remember to give myself an uppercut. :cheesy:

P.S. A  thought - hope your comment was a joke? Deservedly I took it to be so.

3 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Yup. At financial cost to others. Maybe I should have said stupid and irresponsible.

Silly me - must remember to give myself an uppercut. :cheesy:

P.S. A  thought - hope your comment was a joke? Deservedly I took it to be so.

It was a wry joke.