Bangkok Air Pollution

JimShorts

Not sure about the reading you're citing... I don't think it is/was reflective of the day at large.

For example, when I look at the hourly history of Air Visual's reporting for Pathum Wan for today, I see nothing but yellow moderate readings for the entire day. Same basic results for Chula Hospital and the NIST sensors around Asoke.

292659454_2019-02-2200_07_27.jpg.c522482258c85913900cec1beeaa8d59.jpg

The image below likewise shows the hourly readings for Chula being entirely yellow for the entire day Thursday, and for most of Wednesday as well.

1481762302_2019-02-2200_17_53.jpg.29cc7147217098df6898d1c2f1ada6c2.jpg

Yeah looks like it was either a brief isolated surge or even a unit glitch. After the last 10 days or so it'd be disappointing if it surged back up to orange and red of the last month.

Screenshot_20190222-115131_AirVisual.jpeg
  • Like 1

I have bought my own air monitor and for the last few days the air has been remarkably clean PM2.5 reading of about 10.

This is measured on my balcony between Silom and Surawong road. If I take the monitor and measure next to a main road, the value increases by about 20 or 30, so still nowhere near as high as some other Bangkok locations.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Ironically, the Provincial Health Office at Loei doesn't seem to be doing that great this week (local phenom or equipment problem?):

I think something's wrong with that entry... It's been listed with that location (Loei) for as long as I can remember, but shows up on the BKK sensors map, where as Loei is nowhere near BKK.  So I have no idea what's going on with that entry.

11 minutes ago, SooKee said:

On the up now. Seems there's a lot more stations springing up all over with Air Visual now too. Some time back the nearest were still some way away. Maybe the poor AQ had prompted more folks to invest in the stations.

Thanks!  I check that area for sensors periodically on the AirVisual map for BKK, because my home is not far from there.  But the Dr. Pizza one is a new one on me... Never seen that one/that location before.

18 minutes ago, SooKee said:

On the up now. Seems there's a lot more stations springing up all over with Air Visual now too. Some time back the nearest were still some way away. Maybe the poor AQ had prompted more folks to invest in the stations.

Screenshot_20190222-121523_AirVisual.jpeg

I wonder if he's got that sensor located near his pizza oven, because when I look at my list of local AirVisual sensors in the same general area, they're all in green territory as of noon today.

BKK

Pathum Wan

Royce Residences

NIST

Only Chula is showing the low end of yellow, with a 67 AQI as of 11 am.

None of those on my saved list are showing anything close to orange status.

And when I look at the live map for BKK for air visual, it's basically a sea of green, except for the one you cite above, and another even higher reading, which clearly is either wrong or the subject of some local odd activity.

In general, it's quite a good air day outside in BKK thus far today:

1355223964_2019-02-2212_35_38.thumb.jpg.21a24dcad5a137f9a0606e9acbaaa0c4.jpg

920570442_2019-02-2212_35_48.thumb.jpg.dc03bccb254576a05565b9df7ba38f05.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

BTW, before anyone gets too paranoid about the above "green" air quality readings for BKK today, let me add that my indoor sensor in central BKK today in an unfiltered room is showing comparable readings, bouncing around between 7-8 micrograms of PM2.5, which is just over midway in the green/good air category.

So it is real, not an illusion or government funny business.

13 minutes ago, fishism said:

Another glitch or more pizza?

It's clearly either wrong, or triggered by some very localized activity around that sensor.  The broader map you also posted clearly shows that's not indicative of general air quality outside today.

For example, if I turn on the toaster oven in my home and start roasting peanuts to make peanut butter, absent running my air purifier, the PM2.5 levels inside my home will quickly shoot up to over 100 micrograms. So there are all kinds of localized things that can trigger very high sensor readings, without necessarily being indicative of overall poor air quality even in a part of the city.

That's why I keep a list of a half dozen or so saved locations in the Air Visual app on my Android phone... Because then I'm not relying on the readings from just one sensor, but on a number of them in the same general area... Looking more broadly like that tends to filter out the occasional local glitch or localized pollution disturbance readings.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Clean air today in my part of western Bangkok (Khet Talingchan).  At 3pm I'm getting a PM2.5 reading of 2 inside my air conditional house and 9 outside.  Matches up with an Air Visual reading of 9.7 done at 1pm in a location also in Khet Talingchan but about 2km away from me.

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For example, if I turn on the toaster oven in my home and start roasting peanuts to make peanut butter, absent running my air purifier, the PM2.5 levels inside my home will quickly shoot up to over 100 micrograms. So there are all kinds of localized things that can trigger very high sensor readings, without necessarily being indicative of overall poor air quality even in a part of the city.

Does roasting peanuts create so many particles in the room thinner than a human hair that it triggers a high reading?

4 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Does roasting peanuts create so many particles in the room thinner than a human hair that it triggers a high reading?

I don't know if it's the peanuts being heated, per se, or the heating elements of the electric oven giving off emissions, or both. But I've noticed, and others have posted here, that all kinds of heat related cooking activities in the kitchen tend to send PM2.5 levels spiking.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2018 at 4:42 PM, JimShorts said:

China has also imposed a no construction policy in some areas this winter (air pollution is much worse in the winter) which has worked very well. 

Bangkok is doing a good job, with the BTS, new electric busses coming, gas type conversion of cars and motorcycles, etc. Obviously more can be done, the odd/even license plate technique is very successful and used in many cities. Construction limits, crop burning limits, etc. Many things can be done. 

In general public awareness and transparency seem low. On a day like today, public alerts seem appropriate. Otherwise many people just won't know any better. 

have u seen all the pickups and tuk tuks heaving out black soot.  what a joke

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manchega said:

please tell me where I can grass up drivers pumping black smoke out of their cars

my dash cam takes HD stills when I require, and I have 60 odd offenders but no place to grass the <deleted> up, please advise

Advice: Don't attempt to enforce Thailand's laws and start wearing a PM2.5/N95 mask while out if you are not now.

On 2/23/2019 at 9:28 AM, manchega said:

please tell me where I can grass up drivers pumping black smoke out of their cars

my dash cam takes HD stills when I require, and I have 60 odd offenders but no place to grass the <deleted> up, please advise

Some electronic message boards above express ways ask for reports of cars emitting black smoke on telephone 1584. I don't think they will speak English though.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 5:22 AM, mitebbots said:

can anyone point me where to buy 3M Filtrete paper? have not been able to find so far. 

HomePro stocked it. You can go to a HomePro and they can tell you if any of their stores have any through their inventory database. It seems as though 3M has a monopoly in the A/C filter material supply. This week my son is bringing some over that was ordered on Amazon.

Edited by MaxYakov

6 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

HomePro stocked it. You can go to a HomePro and they can tell you if any of their stores have any through their inventory database.

HomePro's website for online ordering currently does not show any Filtrete items available.  That may or may not bear any relation to their store stocks...

The Thai 3M Delivery website also shows out of stock:

https://www.3mdelivery.com/air-conditioner-filter/sct/186

But the official 3M store on Lazada seems to show they have stock available again:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/filtrete-roll-15x96-pack-9808-15-x-96-i108468776-s109924045.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.1109e0c2FCYVBG&search=1

On 2/22/2019 at 12:06 PM, rak sa_ngop said:

I have bought my own air monitor and for the last few days the air has been remarkably clean PM2.5 reading of about 10.

This is measured on my balcony between Silom and Surawong road. If I take the monitor and measure next to a main road, the value increases by about 20 or 30, so still nowhere near as high as some other Bangkok locations.

need to be a little more precise is that micron per cubic metre? or is that AQI

On 3/5/2019 at 2:09 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

HomePro's website for online ordering currently does not show any Filtrete items available.  That may or may not bear any relation to their store stocks...

The Thai 3M Delivery website also shows out of stock:

https://www.3mdelivery.com/air-conditioner-filter/sct/186

But the official 3M store on Lazada seems to show they have stock available again:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/filtrete-roll-15x96-pack-9808-15-x-96-i108468776-s109924045.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.1109e0c2FCYVBG&search=1

Just fyi, you can also go to a Home Pro store and place an order. I ordered 4 packs of 3M Filtrete paper at Home Pro about 3 weeks ago. The store called me when the order came in and I picked up the Filtrete this past weekend.

• Thanks 1

They do. Emission, break and light tests are required to renew the yearly tax.

For 2 days last week I saw the police were stopping vehicles in the middle of the road, like they do, to check for likely candidates, they had a sensor on a long rod putting it up the exhaust. If they were doing their job right they should have taken a lot off the road, but that’s wishful thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 2/22/2019 at 11:27 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't know if it's the peanuts being heated, per se, or the heating elements of the electric oven giving off emissions, or both. But I've noticed, and others have posted here, that all kinds of heat related cooking activities in the kitchen tend to send PM2.5 levels spiking.

Well, that's well known!  So, will smoking.

You could try opening the kitchen window, but that will let in the pollution from outside.  Eat pot noodles maybe!????

Take a reading from vaping if you can- virtually no change.