Replace wiper rubbers or whole arms?

giddyup

Do they still replace just the wiper rubbers or the whole arm? Last time I had wipers replaced at Isuzu they replaced the whole arm, but surely it's only the rubbers that need replacing. Noticed the arm juddering with the rain yesterday, usually a sign that the rubbers need replacing.

Unless the wiper arm has been damaged, like someone bending it out of shape, a mango falling on it, etc.,  only replacing the rubber is required.  Any shop that wants to change the whole undamaged arm is just ripping you off.

Edited by Pib

14 minutes ago, Pib said:

Unless the wiper arm has been damaged, like someone bending it out of shape, a mango falling on it, etc.,  only replacing the rubber is required.  Any shop that wants to change the whole undamaged arm is just ripping you off.

I probably haven't been clear. I'm talking about the piece of the arm that holds the rubber strip. In the old days you just bought the rubber strip, but I think you now buy the whole piece that includes the metal backing.

wipers.jpg

Edited by giddyup

Buy the silicone strips, I think they are 200 baht for a strip which separates into 2. Slide the old rubber out, cut to silicone to the same length and slide them in. You will be surprised how well they work; they are the best I have had. They come in colors and you can usually find them in the malls when you run into the guy selling car wax and car bling.

You can buy complete wiper blades+arms at BigC for 79/89 baht depending on size...yes there cheap but more important excellent silicone wipers (cannot remember the name but they have a green box label) universal fitting...if you cannot fit them yourself I,ll gladly do it for 50 baht +expenses.....:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:

Buy the silicone strips, I think they are 200 baht for a strip which separates into 2. Slide the old rubber out, cut to silicone to the same length and slide them in. You will be surprised how well they work; they are the best I have had. They come in colors and you can usually find them in the malls when you run into the guy selling car wax and car bling.

Thanks, I'll keep my eye open for them.

It still just the rubber because when taking the old rubber off it has two small metal strips you reuse to fit the new rubber portion back in.  Or you can buy the type of that comes with plastic strips already included with the rubber and not reuse the metal strips. 

But I highly recommend  you just buy the rubber (I get them for around 60 baht per pair here in Bangkok...but some shops try to sell them for around Bt150 per pair) and reuse the metal strips which are much stronger.   

I'm basing my response on my Toyota Fortuner....I change the rubber strips every six months or so....cheap...easy.

Edited by Pib

2 minutes ago, petermik said:

You can buy complete wiper blades+arms at BigC for 79/89 baht depending on size...yes there cheap but more important excellent silicone wipers (cannot remember the name but they have a green box label) universal fitting...if you cannot fit them yourself I,ll gladly do it for 50 baht +expenses.....:thumbsup:

That includes the arm? That's cheap, but I only need the blades.

The cheap complete arms do not have all the "joints" for perfect operation, they are basic...I just replace the blades on the good arms...The heat from the screen works on the blades to make them hard and put a "set" in them so they don't do the job, that's why folk here lift the arms off the screen...I only change the arms if the joints wear and they make a noise..

Best blades I ever had were Tesco silicone blades, yeh they were white in colour but they were good, sadly my Tesco don't stock them anymore...:sad:

18 minutes ago, Pib said:

It still just the rubber because when taking the old rubber off it has two small metal strips you reuse to fit the new rubber portion back in.  Or you can buy the type of that comes with plastic strips already included with the rubber and not reuse the metal strips. 

But I highly recommend  you just buy the rubber (I get them for around 60 baht per pair here in Bangkok...but some shops try to sell them for around Bt150 per pair) and reuse the metal strips which are much stronger.   

I'm basing my response on my Toyota Fortuner....I change the rubber strips every six months or so....cheap...easy.

Mine have been on my Triton for 3 years, so I guess a change is due.

7 hours ago, petermik said:

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

That includes the arm? That's cheap, but I only need the blades.

OK pay MORE for the blades then.....those from BigC as I have mentioned have everything.....silicone rubber blades included....cannot be more simpler or cheaper and excellent quality also :whistling:

I probably haven't been clear. I'm talking about the piece of the arm that holds the rubber strip. In the old days you just bought the rubber strip, but I think you now buy the whole piece that includes the metal backing.
wipers.thumb.jpg.315c72f41f03a57dbfcdbc371eca5373.jpg

Did it 3 days ago and places in nearly every BigC/Tesco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't fitted wiper blades with metal arms for a number of years. I buy blades that are completely rubberised. I'm amazed they still fit the ones with metal arms to cars, I thought everything had progressed years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

13 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I haven't fitted wiper blades with metal arms for a number of years. I buy blades that are completely rubberised. I'm amazed they still fit the ones with metal arms to cars, I thought everything had progressed years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

There must be a reason..

Our Honda Civic has one piece plastic/rubber blade/arms, don't know if they are factory fitted or a later replacement...

Edited by transam

22 hours ago, giddyup said:

Thanks, I'll keep my eye open for them.

Silicone blades are a good wiper blade only replacement, certainly noticed a difference when used,  got mine done at car accessory stall outside of our Big 'C' in their car park.  

On 1/25/2018 at 12:23 PM, BEVUP said:

No - still the rubber only - Have done with my previous Vigo

The old school way, perfectly acceptable if you have a local shop that carries the rubber stock. Takes maybe a couple of minutes to do each wiper?

However, most are now pre-packaged per giddyup's post and for sheer convenience, it's the way to go. Takes maybe a minute to do both of them.

Up 2 u.