The Need For Speed

JackFrost

I have just ordered 8 Megabits per second adsl up from 1.5 and was wondering if my older router and wifi can handle the speed.

The router is a Dlink 504 and the wifi is a Dlink 900ap (:o.

What are the throughputs that "older" eqipment can handle?

Am in OZ

jack

The router will handle 8mbps (the max speed of the regular adsl)...

Although you're going to have to be pretty close to your phone exchange to get the router to connect at 8mbps!

There will probably be some disclaimer in your contract where the ISP will take no responsibility if the 8mbps cannot be achieved.

Your accesspoint is 802.11 b, so it tops out at a theoretical max speed of 11mbps. This speed goes down a lot once you move a bit away from the accesspoint, so in the corner of your place your wireless connection most probably will not be able to keep up with your adsl.

Recommendation: upgrade your wifi equipment to 802.11 g, with a top speed of 54mbps much more likely to keep up with your adsl, even when further away...

The router will handle 8mbps (the max speed of the regular adsl)...

Although you're going to have to be pretty close to your phone exchange to get the router to connect at 8mbps!

There will probably be some disclaimer in your contract where the ISP will take no responsibility if the 8mbps cannot be achieved.

Your accesspoint is 802.11 b, so it tops out at a theoretical max speed of 11mbps. This speed goes down a lot once you move a bit away from the accesspoint, so in the corner of your place your wireless connection most probably will not be able to keep up with your adsl.

Recommendation: upgrade your wifi equipment to 802.11 g, with a top speed of 54mbps much more likely to keep up with your adsl, even when further away...

Thanks Monty - that's put my mind to rest - last thing I wanted was for the eqipment not to be good enough.

I am about 1.5 k away from the exchange so will probably only get up to 5-6mbs (am fine with that). The wifi is only for the missus's apple and it's only 15 feet from the AP so its all good.

jack