Thailand (local health insurance) for expat

So yesterday I got my finally got my Non O immigration based on marriage visa extension here in Chiang Mai .

This is good for a year,

My question is and my Thai wife brought this up yesterday, is there a way to get local health insurance like a Thai with a card and all that and pay into it without having work permit ,without working ,but just paying into it now that I live here full-time and am married to a local.

I don't work, I have full retirement, medically based pension from the US government for life and so I can't work and I already pay for health insurance in United States through Medicare , which is 113 US dollars a month I think.

Anyways I don't want to have to pay a bunch of extra money since I'm already paying for one health insurance, it would be more ideal if I could try to get on the local system.

I'm wondering if there's a way that I can do that ?

Thank you

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

47 minutes ago, tstcman said:

My question is and my Thai wife brought this up yesterday, is there a way to get local health insurance like a Thai with a card and all that and pay into it without having work permit ,without working ,but just paying into it now that I live here full-time and am married to a local.

You cannot do it.

You can only get private insurance by paying a substantial amount of money for it.

• Like 2

You cannot do it.
You can only get private insurance by paying a substantial amount of money for it.
Sucks, oh well looks like I'm stuck with no insurance then. I'm already paying Insurance in the US than I can afford being on a pension here I can't afford to pay two insurances at once.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

""...medically based pension from the US government for life...and I already pay for health insurance in United States through Medicare.""

Keep in mind Medicare does not cover you outside of the U.S. like in Thailand....Medicare coverage is within the U.S. 

Now if your medical retirement is military related then your disability may have made you Tricare eligible.  If you are Tricare eligible and paying Medicare Part B then you also have "Tricare for Life" since you are paying Part B....Tricare for Life does provide provides coverage worldwide.     

• Like 1

Recently I signed a health insurance combination with a life insurance as per request of my Thai wife, with Krungthai-AXA insurance company. Coverage is good, Thailand only, and the total premium for both is reasonabley low at 55KTHB/annum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pennywise said:

Recently I signed a health insurance combination with a life insurance as per request of my Thai wife, with Krungthai-AXA insurance company. Coverage is good, Thailand only, and the total premium for both is reasonabley low at 55KTHB/annum.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot do it.

Be aware that BUPA Thailand is now AETHENA Thailand. Let's see if my premium jumps up in July.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pennywise said:

About the same as BUPA/Aethena now. But only In Patient treatment. You get 10% rebate if you don't use it in any one year, so be aware that unless the claim is more than Bht 5500, don't bother.

• Like 2

The Pattaya Expats Club has some sort of deal going - and can pay into later years if you get in before you are too old.  Not a crazy price, either.

The most affordable plan is to just work for awhile, get into the Thai system that way, then after you quit you can keep paying the premium.  I am not sure what the min-time worked is, to be able to continue paying to keep it after the job is over.

Edited by JackThompson

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Thanks for that info.  Do you know if there is a min-hours limit to working - i.e., can do 12 months part-time to get into the system?

As long as the minimum required payment is made, I think 700 baht per month ATM.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2018 at 8:11 PM, wgdanson said:

Be aware that BUPA Thailand is now AETHENA Thailand. Let's see if my premium jumps up in July.

A friend of mine in Pattaya just renewed with BUPA, his annual premium went from 85,000THB to 108,000THB.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2018 at 8:13 PM, wgdanson said:

About the same as BUPA/Aethena now. But only In Patient treatment. You get 10% rebate if you don't use it in any one year, so be aware that unless the claim is more than Bht 5500, don't bother.

After being told by BUPA that nothing would change with my Health Insurance Policy once they became "Aethena Thailand" my renewal from BUPA of 47,000THB per year suddenly became 55,000THB on billing from "Aethena Thailand" with no increase in cover; I'm still waiting for an explanation "Coming soon". . . . .   

• Like 1

Also depends where you go for treatment.

I scratched a mosquito bite which became infected.

Govt hospital, doctor fee and course of antibiotics 90 baht.

Friend scratched his finger gardening, became infected.

Private hospital, doctor fee and course of antibiotics 1,950 baht.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Also depends where you go for treatment.

I scratched a mosquito bite which became infected.

Govt hospital, doctor fee and course of antibiotics 90 baht.

Friend scratched his finger gardening, became infected.

Private hospital, doctor fee and course of antibiotics 1,950 baht.

90 bahts a bloody bargain especially inc drugs. last time i went to see the doc was 500 baht just to see her plus the nurses check ups etc then over priced meds from the pharmacy. luckily i haven't had to go for a couple of years. i have a friend who goes to government hospitals and swears by them. i just go to the closest one to me as insurance covers it anyway

On 1/26/2018 at 6:18 PM, Nick ZepTepi said:

Yep, personal accident insurance is affordable and more likely to be needed.
Put your money towards eating healthy & keeping fit. Prevention better than cure.

Sent from my Honor 7x using Tapatalk

Agree 'personal accident' is not health insurance but still worth having and the premiums not too bad.

Another point - there are many Thai government hospitals with quite good care and the fees are not expensive, search around and find one near you that gets good reviews and comments.

On 26/01/2018 at 9:35 PM, mahjongguy said:

Same as me, if you ever need a hip transplant you can travel to the U.S. and get it via Medicare.

Odds are, though, that the most likely thing to cost you a big wad of money is an accident. Even if you never get on a motorcycle you can still get creamed trying to cross the street, or just take a fall in the bathroom and bust your noggin. For that purpose, you might investigate the cost of Personal Accident insurance. There are important limitations in the fine print and a low cap on the total payout, but the premiums are affordable.

Besides, any full health insurance you could buy, at whatever price, will not cover any pre-existing conditions, so from a practical standpoint they aren't much better than accident insurance.

What a brilliant idea "Personal Accident Insurance", never thought of that one, well worth investigating !

As an Aussie Xpat, we have Medicare for 5 years because we paid taxes into it, after 5 years, they wipe us off the list because we do not contribute to it any longer, and are not allowed to as a "foreign resident", so as I have now been here in Thailand for 2 years, I have 3 years cover remaining back in Australia if I need a procedure carried out under Medicare.

I looked at private health insurers and they want $4,000AUS, or about 100,000$ Thai Baht, Medivac is an extra option, $1,100AUS or an extra 27,000$ Thai Baht, doesn't include any preexisting conditions, I had a stent inserted into one of my main arteries a decade ago after suffering a mild heart attack.

The policy is good in one aspect, i.e. it will allow you to be treated in your home country, if you want to pay for the travel costs, if you don't take the Medivac option which of course costs extra and excludes preexisting conditions.

I am told that the preexisting exclusion on the policy would read something like this: The exclusion on the policy would probably be a cardiovascular exclusion which would be along the lines of the exclusion below. Exclusions are not set in stone, they can be challenged at the renewal after the 1st year and if something was to happen to you so we would always be guided by doctors and if something happened to you they would advise if it was related to your existing condition or not.

CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE/DISORDER: and any associated or related conditions or symptoms and any complications

That unfortunately wipes it for me, however if they wanted to put in a clause saying that the artery treated, i.e.where the stent was put in, is not covered, I would give it a go, but naturally they would like to be evasive, so no business from me, suffice to say, I have just over 2 mil baht set aside for a rainy day and self insure, so far saving me 200,000$ Thai Baht for those two years in not paying premiums, and if anything happens in an emergency, I will just have to pay for it, if it is not urgent, I will get it treated in Australia and I will book my ticket as Medicare covers me for the 3 years remaining.

But as another poster stated: eat well, and exercise, that can prolong any issues, and as I said earlier, the "Personal Accident Insurance is a brilliant idea and worth investigating !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I have friends that have gone back to Australia after 20 years here, get fixed for a significant incident, tell the Government they are not coming back to Thailand, then skip back to Thailand 6 months later and repeat the process and again a few years later. I just go home once every five years now, pick up a new card and come back. I have to go back home before 2020 for my next card.

I have ACS; a French Company does my insurance. It is not cheap; I am only 48 and pay US1,200 a year. Last year they paid out 90,000 baht on hospital admission (scope in the stomach and treatment). So they have gained my trust.

I can afford private cover till I am 75 at the rates they use. After 75, well, it is in the hands of the Gods unless I gain a massive Windfall; so it will be the local Thai Hospital at San Patong and a bag of cash.

If it were not for the expensive hospital system here, it would be paradise. If I can get back home for a significant type if an incident, good luck. If I cannot, it will be just mai bpen rai. That's the way it's going to be. 

I have also heard the same, although varies, I know the system says 5 years for xpats, if the guys have retained their residency status and put Australian resident on their tax returns, then they are all good. 

My card is good until 2019, so when they send me a new one, my friend who looks after our PO Box will get it to me, and I intend to go back every 18 months 2 years to see mum and my 20 year old daughter who is here now, i.e. if she can come here once a year and I go there once every 18 months - 2 years to stock up on some meds on the system, i.e. $6 per packet Vs 2,000 baht for the same packet here, I stock up for 18 months.

With regard to your health insurance premium, your under 50, watch the brackets 50-55 and 55-60, they climb sharply, after that, forget it, they sky rocket, I've heard.

Love your care free attitude, mai bpen rai, stay safe and healthy, long life.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

With regard to your health insurance premium, your under 50, watch the brackets 50-55 and 55-60, they climb sharply, after that, forget it, they sky rocket, I've heard.

I have done the forecasts. By 75, I will have put a $165,000 into the system. I had one friend only a few weeks ago put almost that in after a horrible accident. The average cost of two weeks in a hospital can be just 550,000 baht. Broken leg for a friend was 350,000 baht just for the OP. 

I do my taxes in Australia, keep everything I do in Australia. I prefer to die in Thailand, but if the costs at a much older age do not allow me, my wife and I will head back to Australia.

Always keep a bolt hole ready and never cut your ties to home 100%. 

Best of luck. You're doing it the right way. I have accident insurance as well, only 5,000 baht a year. Last year, I got a stinging bug in my helmet riding. Sprayed stuff all over my face that was poison. Accident insurance paid out 10,000 baht in hospital visits to get it fixed, so it is good to know that they will pay. 

Will admit, that bug hurt like......!!!!!!!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I have done the forecasts. By 75, I will have put a $165,000 into the system. I had one friend only a few weeks ago put almost that in after a horrible accident. The average cost of two weeks in a hospital can be just 550,000 baht. Broken leg for a friend was 350,000 baht just for the OP. 

I do my taxes in Australia, keep everything I do in Australia. I prefer to die in Thailand, but if the costs at a much older age do not allow me, my wife and I will head back to Australia.

Always keep a bolt hole ready and never cut your ties to home 100%. 

Best of luck. You're doing it the right way. I have accident insurance as well, only 5,000 baht a year. Last year, I got a stinging bug in my helmet riding. Sprayed stuff all over my face that was poison. Accident insurance paid out 10,000 baht in hospital visits to get it fixed, so it is good to know that they will pay. 

Will admit, that bug hurt like......!!!!!!!

If I could have kept my residency I would have, but have kids going to school here, I am retired, although I invest my money in the Australia Stock Market and pay no tax as a "foreign resident" so I suppose I cannot have my cake and eat it too, besides, if we count the tax I am saving by not paying it, (all legal) mind you, one could look at that paying for private health cover, but if they don't want to cover me for a stent or say they won't cover me for a stent or that artery, I will self insure as I am doing.

The sting from a bug in the helmet, sheeet, lucky you kept it up right.

Good to hear about the accident insurance covering you, and I am sure before you sprayed your face with poison, someone gave you the green light, no poison, is ok, help the sting....lol

• Like 1