Why Thailand if Malaysia is so much easier and nicer

Juntaa

24 minutes ago, scuba2day said:

Complete non-sense.

Pork is readily available. Most supermarkets have a non-halal section.

The place is crawling with hookers if that is a priority in your life.

Decent imported beer (draft and bottles) can be found cheaper than in Thailand and about the same a back home. On Langkawi imported alcohol is amazingly cheap as it is a duty-free zone.

I believe religious people should have all their laws rigidly enforced upon them.

22 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Not sure this is the right place to ask.....the majority of people on here love to put Thailand down and bash it at every given opportunity (even make giant leaps to squeeze in a "put down" if none.is obvious) but for some unknown reason choose to live here.....

Figure that one out?

My wife and children are Thai. My home country won't let her in, so I have to live here.

31 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Duplicate

31 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

I suggest you check out what has been going in Kelantan and Terengganu. 

The old assumption that converts and non practicing muslims were exempt, no longer holds. One cannot opt out of being a muslim. marry a muslim and  if it is a civil matter, Islamic laws can be applied at the behest of the implicated muslim. If you were the Hindu or  Chinese Christian  you must defer. If you are a muslim who found jesus, it won't work because you are muslim no matter what.

Most chaps I know that have married Muslim ladies have converted.

I'm not sure, but I believe Muslim ladies are not allowed to marry non-Muslims.

SC 

Edited by StreetCowboy

16 minutes ago, toughlove said:

Most are failed expats who couldn't even carve a life out in 3rd world and were forced back to a council flat in blackpool or similar and still can't let go of thailand.

Yes there are some jaded people still here but in fact it's nearly always the same gang of 50 posting its just repetition. What a desperately sad club to join emoji25.png

Well why don’t you just delete the APP and cancel your membership. 

Many people have come up with some serious reasons why Malaysia is not exactly the paradise that you want everyone to buy into. - you choose not to address any of these valid concerns ( including mine ) 

Repetition ! A slightly hackneyed comment about council flats and Blackpool - most would not have a clue what you are talking about - it’s an international forum . 

As so many have said - Islamic country - absolutely not . 

• Like 1

Well why don’t you just delete the APP and cancel your membership. 

Many people have come up with some serious reasons why Malaysia is not exactly the paradise that you want everyone to buy into. - you choose not to address any of these valid concerns ( including mine ) 

Repetition ! A slightly hackneyed comment about council flats and Blackpool - most would not have a clue what you are talking about - it’s an international forum . 

As so many have said - Islamic country - absolutely not . 

Huh? What are you on about.

20 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Not sure why you would ignore that comment.

Islam means no hookers, high alcohol prices and no pork.

Beer in KL costs more than in the UK.

I could live without the hookers, but I insist on bacon for breakfast and a beer with dinner.

(not that keen on lamb or goat)

....."no hookers, high alcohol prices and no pork"......:cheesy:I am sure, you never been in Malaisia more than 5 Days.

Edited by ujayujay
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

....."no hookers, high alcohol prices and no pork"......:cheesy:I am sure, you never been in Malaisia.

I pass through every 3 months on my holiday trips to the Philippines.

Normally I get the bus into Kuala Lumpur for the afternoon between my flights.

Not more than lunch at the airport shuttle shopping mall, and a bit of a wander round.

I always think 90 days entry seems a bit excessive when I'm just waiting for my connecting flight.

Never had the urge to stay any longer.

As I said in a previous post, I believe countries should rigorously enforce their religious laws, I ain't looking to break them, I am a righteous person and believe in the rule of law (no matter what that rule is). If a country has a law I can't live with, it's easy to move somewhere else.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

20 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Not sure why you would ignore that comment.

Islam means no hookers, high alcohol prices and no pork.

Beer in KL costs more than in the UK.

I could live without the hookers, but I insist on bacon for breakfast and a beer with dinner.

(not that keen on lamb or goat)

Plenty of Pork in KL and Penang.....in European and Chinese restaurant's and shops........ 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Juntaa said:

Please can someone explain to me why anyone would chose to live or spend their holiday in Thailand compared to Malaysia?

Bacon among other things – found the delicious scrambled eggs, walked up and down the breakfast buffet three time to find the bacon, when I suddenly remembered I stayed in a hotel in Johor Sultanate in Malaysia – but in general the difference between Muslim life-style and Buddhist Thai-way life-style, and crispy pork...:wink:

21 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I doubt you can live on 90 day extensions forever, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I've a friend in Langkawi who's been there for 14 years.  He gets a ferry to the Thai border every 3 months to do some shopping for a couple of days.  Has never had a visa.  Never had a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Anecdotally, racial harmony was much better 15 - 25 years ago, although that was before my time.

It has been alleged that the Prime Minister was paid to arabise Malaysia.

It's worth bearing in mind that there were dozens or hundreds killed in race riots in the USA in the late sixties as well, but I still don't mind going there.

SC

I have been to Malaysia a few times and I must say I was absolutely astonished. It is exactly as the OP said, and KL is an absolute world-class metropolis with friendly people everywhere. If I had a choice (working here) I would not hesitate long before moving to Malaysia. In fact, I am currently thinking of different ways I can realize that ambition.

We had no problem finding pork in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah state and restaurants that specialize in pork dishes, so were full of Chinese Malaysians, speaking good English and drinking wine and liquor.  Even served by women in Muslim headdress, but we were told you wouldn't find that in western Malaysia.  

I loved the meat dept in the supermarkets in KK -- great selection of Butterball turkey products from the U.S.,  lamb from NZ and OZ for the Muslim market and pork in the non-halal section.  Much better selection, at lower prices than in Chiang Mai. I have yet to find Butterball turkey sausage, ground turkey or turkey legs here.  And for the lamb lovers, the price was much cheaper than in Thailand.

It does bother us that the Chinese Malays and ethnic Malays don't "mix" socially but then you have the indigenous people on Borneo.  While both groups look down on them socially, at least they are considered Malaysian citizens and not denied full rights, the way that Thailand has denied full rights (like medical care and education) to Thai hilltribe people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Why ignore it??, it is a point of discussion, you asked, he answered.  We all have out preferences, his has (implied) he doesn't want to live in an area mainly linked with Islam.  Maybe not in KL but in other areas of Malaysia, radical Islam is real, and may not cotton to foreigners living there.  

You, yourself said:  If anyone is wondering why I started this topic: pure curiosity!  so don;t knock on us when we answer why we live in Thailand not Malaysia.  :coffee1:

I'm pretty sure more farang have died in major western countries at the hands of radical Islam than in Malaysia.

Not going to a country simply because the dominant religion is Islam is simply Islamaphobia.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Many reasons but just two top ones. - food is better and the women more attractive. 

I found Malaysian food greasy, just like Indonesia (and I lived in Jakarta for 2 years)

The majority religion in Sarawak state, Malaysia is Christianity.  Sabah state and Sarawak state, Borneo have immigration rules that require Malaysians from western Malaysia to obtain work permits before they come to their states to work.  Let's remember that the country isn't homogeneous. 

l chose Thailand because the muslims in Malaysia made me feel uncomfortable. I do not trust people of a religion that claims it is good to kill me. I am an infidel and distained by muslims. why would i want to live in that environment? 

To ignore this issues ignores the reality.

• Like 2

The only time 'tension' came into play living as an ozzie in Malaysia, were those Months that followed the then PM Paul Keating, when he labelled Dr M a recalcitrant! Locals were really so worried us RAAFies were going to all be shipped out of Butterworth; and so, the prices all went up... 

3 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Malaysia as an expat retirement option has been well covered in this thread. I thank the OP for bringing it up and thank Ballpoint and BMW Overlander for knocking it down. I definitely feel safer here in Thailand.

Oh, and there's the muslim issue. I've lived on Soi Muslim (Noen Pub Wan) in Banglamung in the recent past. Never had an issue or problem.  But as others noted, it's a vital issue that will continue to fester. 

Anyway, I just moved back to Thailand from Vietnam after 7 months. Thailand just does most things better. No point in griping about all the usual stuff. It's clear we happily put up with it if we're still living here.

"Thailand just does most things better."  This is exactly why I own property in both countries, I like Southern Vietnam for the food, inexpensive way of life, friendly people,  but always come back to my place in Thailand after a month or so because  It Feels Like Home.  BTW, I can get long okay in both languages, my Thai is much  much better than my Vietnamese but I am complemented with my efforts.  Most foreigners don't even try, it  is a very hard language to speak.

Having lived in Muslim countries for over twelve years, I find the Thai Muslims to be extremely moderate, almost silent compared to most, (but oly visited far South, Songkla, Hatyai etc - I have lived in Indonesia 2 years, Iraq/Afghanistan/Pakistan five years, a dozen West/Central  African Muslim countries over five years as well, so can speak with some experience.

52 minutes ago, 67Vagabond said:

You were offered the most reasonable and succinct answers “because Islam” but chose to be offended rather than give it some thought.     Having lived in the Middle East and Malaysia I can tell you that two-word comment means everything. 

I think to write off a country because the majority of people are Muslim is bigotted.  To complain about the noise from the mosques, the difficulty in getting bacon, constraints on drinking beer in the afternoon at roadside bars - fair enough,  To complain about affirmative action, to complain about corruption - fair enough.  To complain about misdeeds by terrorists in Syria - I'm not sure I see the relationship - it's like refusing to move to Rome because of school shootings in the US.

Anyway, similarly to Thailand, if you choose where you want to live within the country, you can get hookers, bacon, beer in the afternoon.

According to recent surveys apparently it is more democratic than Singapore (I've not followed up on that) and there is no military dictatorship in Malaysia just now.  Race riots were a problem in the sixties, and could be again, as could also be said for the US.

I like the variety of food in Malaysia - I think Thai food in Malaysia is better than Indian food in Thailand, I think Western food in Malaysia is better than Western food in Thailand, and I think Chinese food is cheaper in Malaysia than in Thailand.

I like the cycling around KL.

I have more Malaysian friends than I ever had native friends in any of the other countries I have lived since England.  There is anecdotal evidence that Malaysia is less safe, and I would not dispute that, but the environment has less impact on my safety than does my behaviour.  I am very fortunate that I live in a particularly pleasant suburb with a great sense of community, though that may change over time.

I don't think I would like to live out in the boondocks of West Malaysia, or on the East Coast of West Malaysia.  People tell me Sabah and Sarawak are very nice, and the people from there that I meet here in KL are very pleasant, bearing in mind that those are more Christian states, I believe.

SC

• Like 2