Academics say Prawit ‘broke the law’ over watches

rooster59

Academics say Prawit ‘broke the law’ over watches

By KAS CHANWANPEN 
THE SUNDAY NATION

92089a34c6f2c94c265009dcf2277c98-sld.jpeg

Participants at yesterday’s seminar vote on their favourite timepiece from Deputy Prime Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan’s watch collection. Nation Photo by Vorawit Pumpuang

IT WAS against anti-corruption laws for Deputy Prime Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan to have borrowed luxury watches from his friends, legal experts claimed at a political seminar yesterday.

Anti-graft campaigner Veera Somkwamkid and law lecturer Ekachai Chainuvati said the law prohibited recipients of gifts or other benefits that were worth more than Bt3,000.

Violations of the law is punishable by up to a Bt60,000 fine and three years in jail, or both, in addition to a ban from politics, Ekachai said.

He said this violation had already occurred, given that Prawit, who is also Defence Minister, had already been seen wearing watches that he claimed had been lent to him by friends. Returning the watches to their owners could not possibly reverse the consequences of the law, Ekachai added.

Veera stressed that Prawit’s choice of watches was no private matter. As he is a minister, asset declaration and scrutiny were “part of the package”, the graft-buster said.

“I don’t think Prawit will survive this much pressure,” he said. “If he does survive, it means that he is prioritised above the country.”

The comment was made in a political seminar called “The People’s Time and Corruption 4.0”. 

Prawit has been extensively criticised over the scandal involving fancy watches worth millions of baht.

Long-time graft-fighter Veera slammed the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) for allegedly being biased in the case.

The agency’s secretary-general, Worawit Sukboon, has said that Prawit was not obliged to declare his possession of the watches unless they truly belonged to him. But the official has refused to disclose crucial details in the case.

Veera said the NACC could have revealed whether it would pursue Prawit for his possibly suspicious wealth and for possible misconduct regarding the ban on the receipt of gifts.

But, Ekachai added, Worawit’s remark could have pointed out a loophole for Prawit to exploit.

Ekachai also said the NACC should not have any trouble reporting progress on the case. The NACC law laid out such that such a transparent act was advisable.

Another pro-democracy activist on the panel, Siriwith Serithiwat, said society faced a double standard when it came to corruption.

Although corruption was addressed as a pressing issue, scrutiny and punishment of corruption cases had always been discriminatory, he said.

Since 1997, the target for corruption cases had always been former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, he said, and fraud accusations had become a political tool to destroy the Shinawatra camp.

“When we have this watch issue, now people say, ‘Prawit has done so much for the country, the watches are so trivial, just let him be’,” Siriwith said.

The activist said he had no problem with strict measures against the Shinawatras but he wanted equal treatment for all corrupt people.

“I have no problem about investigating the fraud in the [Yingluck Shinawatra government’s] rice-pledging scheme. But you should do the same to other issues, like the watches or the [corruption claims surrounding contracts for] Rajabhakti Park, too,” the activist added.

The seminar attracted about 50 people. It included a small exhibition showing Prawit’s entire watch collection and participants were invited to vote for their favourite one.

The event was observed by at least 20 policemen, including some in plain clothes.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30337309

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-28

14 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Another pro-democracy activist on the panel, Siriwith Serithiwat, said society faced a double standard when it came to corruption.

Although corruption was addressed as a pressing issue, scrutiny and punishment of corruption cases had always been discriminatory, he said.

Since 1997, the target for corruption cases had always been former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, he said, and fraud accusations had become a political tool to destroy the Shinawatra camp.

This is the nub of the matter; the use of the law to destroy your political enemies.

Love the 'Reds' or hate them (both viable thoughts), they have been on the receiving end of a great injustice. When law is applied to one side of an issue and not to the other, it is not law anymore, it is persecution.

Period.

There is little hope for Thailand politically until all sides operate under the same rules.

Sadly the law in Thailand is, and never has been, applied equally to all. It is used as a tool to punish opposition or not used as a favour to friends. New laws have recently been devised just to halt protest and stop public participation in discussion. Thai style.

Prawit should be fired even if, by some miracle, he is innocent of graft.  He brought disgrace to himself and failed to be an example of the people he serves.  He does not take his actions seriously or hold his office in esteem.

Edited by yellowboat

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This is the nub of the matter; the use of the law to destroy your political enemies.

Love the 'Reds' or hate them (both viable thoughts), they have been on the receiving end of a great injustice. When law is applied to one side of an issue and not to the other, it is not law anymore, it is persecution.

Period.

There is little hope for Thailand politically until all sides operate under the same rules.

An injustice that should be rectified by applying and enforcing the laws on all equally. Not by giving anyone a free pass.

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Prawit should be fired even if, by some miracle, he is innocent of graft.  He brought disgrace to himself and failed to be an example of the people he serves.  He does not take his actions seriously or hold his office in esteem.

If innocent he does not have to be fired... only if he broke the rules.. There are enough guilty people around to fill the jails why go after those who are not guilty.  I still think he is guilty i feel this loaning of watches is a strange story.

Normally if someone loans you a house or a car.. it will be valued at what you normally spend on housing or cars and see that as a gift (and if that is too high it could mean corruption). Too bad its a bit harder to put a value onto what he is saving by getting those watches loaned (if the story is true)

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

If innocent he does not have to be fired... only if he broke the rules.. There are enough guilty people around to fill the jails why go after those who are not guilty.  I still think he is guilty i feel this loaning of watches is a strange story.

Normally if someone loans you a house or a car.. it will be valued at what you normally spend on housing or cars and see that as a gift (and if that is too high it could mean corruption). Too bad its a bit harder to put a value onto what he is saving by getting those watches loaned (if the story is true)

If innocent, then why don't we see proof of the registered serial numbers for each time piece bought proving who is the real owner. And if true to par for the real owner if not him, then the real owner should be able to have a photo of him wearing it at sometime. If not, then it was a bought gift. I for one think he and his owners are corrupt and adulterated as yellow snow. Acutally yellow snow may be cleaner!

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

If innocent, then why don't we see proof of the registered serial numbers for each time piece bought proving who is the real owner. And if true to par for the real owner if not him, then the real owner should be able to have a photo of him wearing it at sometime. If not, then it was a bought gift. I for one think he and his owners are corrupt and adulterated as yellow snow. Acutally yellow snow may be cleaner!

I said I don't think he is innocent.. but IF (unlikely scenario)

I see stunning similarities between Donald Trump and Prawit. Trump, in my opinion, has as leader, demonstrated that it is acceptable to lie and bully, amongst many other negative attributes. Prawit has demonstrated that it is acceptable to practice corruption. Both have established a pattern which will manifest itself in the general populace. 

Both must obviously believe in "do as I say, not as I do". 

Oh, and Trump quite possibly has unwittingly sanctioned  acceptability of language previously not used in public. 

I was shocked to hear male and female newscasters repeat "shit hole" so often without even a grimace. 

9 hours ago, mikebell said:

Never mind the watches; how has his personal wealth increased by 30 million in six years whilst receiving a stipend of under 1 million per year?

A rather generous personal performance "bonus" scheme...:clap2:

49 minutes ago, petermik said:

A rather generous personal performance "bonus" scheme...:clap2:

The loan story is nonsense.  Even if true, which it clearly isn't,  it sets a dangerous precedent to escape charges.

So much so that the NACC aleady said it probably couldn't be used in future. In other words just this once for Prawit, coz he's one of the "good people". 

The law is only applied to the reds. Which makes the system a joke. At least before corruption had a potential penalty. Now it's open, in your face, what are you going to do because we've got the guns style corruption. 

The "but but Thaksin" posters should remember what happened to him. Compare that to what will happen to this bunch. Nothing. Thailand 4.0. Enjoy.

Edited by JonnyF

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Period.

Rare common sense.  Well said.

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

Never mind the watches; how has his personal wealth increased by 30 million in six years whilst receiving a stipend of under 1 million per year?

Exactly. Sums up the NACC . They are as bad as Prawit. In fact the whole entire legal and political system is so big Prayut could drive a truck through it full of his ill gotten gains and not touch the sides!

Edited by wavemanwww

The junta are far, far worse than what came before as they blatantly do not give a shit for the rules as they have the tanks and guns and they know the general population is uneducated and docile

They know full well that the system belongs to them and they are untouchable hence their complete and utter disregard for the rule of law, they are convinced the only way they will be held to account is if the people rise and take control and are gambling that wont happen, time will tell but personally I reckon their arrogance should be punished......

Edited by mark131v