Apartment owner charging 800 baht to replace old toilet seat

KarlosInBKK

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, tropo said:

I would not like a personal visit from a landlord every time I needed new light bulbs. Maybe she's using it as an excuse to keep a close eye on you.

No, all the lights went in 3 rooms after a roof leak. I was worried about the electrics and wife called her to say lights not working- typically Thai though, did not check them, just put in new bulbs - one room stopped working already !

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

No, all the lights went in 3 rooms after a roof leak. I was worried about the electrics and wife called her to say lights not working- typically Thai though, did not check them, just put in new bulbs - one room stopped working already !

I had a leaking roof in the last place - no fun at all and very expensive to repair. That's what you get with cheap tiles.

10 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Check your lease, its often quiet common for the tenant to be responsible for repairs, especially shops etc, but not unheard of in residential leases.

Yep, my last lease in Thailand stated that I was responsible for paying for any repairs under 1,000 baht.  Over that, it was the landlord who had to pick up the bill.

18 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Pay the 800 baht and move on for god's sake!

When I came here first  I bought two condos to rent out and proceeded to do it myself. After a few weeks I vowed never to do it myself again, but rather have an Agent take care of it for me. The OP reminded me why.

I had one person call me up at all hours to come and sweep the leaves off her balcony, another to unblock a toilet after they had used it as a bin, then others who wanted me to come aand change a light bulb for them.

I couldn't believe how many of the customers looked like they could take care of little things back home in their own houses or condos but suddenly seemed to turn into "Hollywood Divas"  when the rented a property abroad.

I mean, how difficult would it have been to buy a plastic seat cover for a few baht and fit it oneself by turning two screws with the fingertips.

Edited by dotpoom

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Put a new comfy, cushioned, dampened seat in yourself. And when you move out take it with you.

Does that mean you dampen it yourself if you don't aim straight?

(sorry!)

Edited by bluesofa
misprit

17 hours ago, keithpa said:

My previous landlord was a yank, I went two weeks over, then moved out, no damage, happy to lose 2 weeks rent and landlord was ok about  it. If a person is mug enough to rent off a thai, it their funeral.  ( I broke the lease)

I do not consider myself a ''mug'' and I have rented and had dealings with Thai 

and Farang owners, and there is not a lot of difference apart from the fact there

are more Thais. 

New toilet seat 200 baht.

Transport cost 100 baht.

Cost to fix new toilet seat in place and dispose of old seat 500 baht. 

Total 800 baht.

Not sure why you think 800 baht is expensive.

I need a new seat for my toilet which I shall walk down to Homepro to get and when I get home I shall fit it myself. The cost will be 200 baht for the seat. 

I doubt many people anywhere in the world work for cost price.

Edited by berybert

16 hours ago, tropo said:

I want to get some new ones soon. I do care how they look and match. Should I take the old seat down to Home Pro? Where would you recommend I go?

I'd go to Global House. They have a better selection of such, IMO.

If your lids are not in stock as too old you might have to buy both seat and lid to get a matching set.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd go to Global House. They have a better selection of such, IMO.

If your lids are not in stock as too old you might have to buy both seat and lid to get a matching set.

I thought that the seat and lid normally came together.

Or do you mean you have several toilets side by side, and you want to have consistent seats across them all?

There's nothing worse than having one throne that has a different seat from the rest

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

Or do you mean you have several toilets side by side, and you want to have consistent seats across them all?

There's nothing worse than having one throne that has a different seat from the rest

Quite right. I must be tired.

Our seat broke and tap at the sink was leaking. Wife told the landlady and she brought the replacement parts and said they would send someone to fix it. Told her no need I can do it.

Cripes you guys the toilet seat only requires two plastic wing nuts to secure it. A kid could do it. The tap was bit harder as nut wouldn't turn. A couple of hard raps on the tap and rotten metal broke right off. Replaced the new hardware and Bob's your uncle.

2 hours ago, Straight8 said:

When renting, gotta factor in a % for scumbag tactics from the Landlord.

As others have said, not worth the hassle and aggrevation of disputing this because they won't back down.

TiT !!!

What these threads always show, is that for every bad landlord, they are matched by bad tenants.

2 hours ago, Beats56 said:

Our seat broke and tap at the sink was leaking. Wife told the landlady and she brought the replacement parts and said they would send someone to fix it. Told her no need I can do it.

Cripes you guys the toilet seat only requires two plastic wing nuts to secure it. A kid could do it. The tap was bit harder as nut wouldn't turn. A couple of hard raps on the tap and rotten metal broke right off. Replaced the new hardware and Bob's your uncle.

You want to move into our place

I just used the Duck to clean an apartment. Decided to let it "sit" for a half day and went to the beach came back home and everything was literally ruined. Sink in kitchen got heavy stains, water pipe below got all messed up, bolts got stuck and expensive looking tap got cracked into 2 pieces. Informed at reception they apologized later for placing a temporary mai suay tap and changed for the good one later on when it came. I tried replacing it myself but didn't want to buy bulky screw driver. Just change it yourself if you can otherwise 800 is a bit too much if you ask me.

23 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

We had our landlady come and replace our light bulbs last week. Totally free., totally true. 

Mind you, when you live in a road where 20% of the houses have the for sale or rent signs up, I think some landlords would prefer the hassle of 'replacing and paying for a toilet seat' themselves than losing a valued falang tenant. Been Pattaya 2 years now, same houses and condos and flats unrented - well they rent them and the Thai tenant fails to pay and then runs off.

I'd say, your Landlord things not a lot of you. 

"losing a valued falang tenant"

For 800 THB or less??

:shock1:

32 minutes ago, ravip said:

"losing a valued falang tenant"

For 800 THB or less??

:shock1:

My neighbour recently lost 28,000 baht as they could not finish their lease by 2 weeks and it was in the contract that the landlord kept all if they broke the lease - so, yes anything is possible ! And remember 800 baht could be 3 days work to some people here.

1 minute ago, Benroon said:

Is this a joke  ? You’ve bust your toilet seat (how heavy are you btw) and been asked to pay a measly 800 baht for a new one and you go to a forum with it ? You must be a bundle of fun to live with !

That's the whole point of a forum - to ask whatever questions you want. However, you have to be prepared for hostile answers too, such as yours.

Different people have different ideas, whether it's the price, or the principle of having to pay.

Isn't that why we all read these posts?

if it was a hotel or a short stay condo, you might reason wear and tear for the responsibility of the owner. 
But in this case you are a long term renter, in my opinion, responsibility for those kind of small damages are with the renter, just like with standard rental agreements in the west. 
800 baht might sound a lot for Thai but compared to western prices still very low.